Help with understanding the 3 way fridge

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Like stan lee, I'm no electrical expert, but I'm lead to believe a safety switch protects against sudden earth shortages, a circuit breaker protects against rapid high current draws in a similar way to the old wire fuses. Both circuit breakers and fuses will allow marginally higher current draw than 10a, but slowly overheat. The amphibian does not allow more than 10a draw.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Some people here may have older fuse boxes and not current circuit breakers which are standard in new homes. I would presume that if you didn't use an Amphibian style device then there is potential to damage existing house wiring or worse if the wrong size fuse wire had been used. You never know. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Like stan lee, I'm no electrical expert, but I'm lead to believe a safety switch protects against sudden earth shortages, a circuit breaker protects against rapid high current draws in a similar way to the old wire fuses. Both circuit breakers and fuses will allow marginally higher current draw than 10a, but slowly overheat. The amphibian does not allow more than 10a draw.

A safety switch or RCD (Residual Current Device) is installed in a switch board to protect power circuits, and now light circuits on newer homes. They work by measuring the current in both active and neutral and comparing values. If the value has a predetermined difference (usually 30mA) the RCD trips as it assumes the "Residual Current" is going to earth i.e a short to earth via a human or equipment failure of some sort. Both my house and my Expanda have RCD's fitted which I test religously as I have small kids.

The overload side of things is interesting as most 10A sockets in a home are protected by a 20A circuit breaker anyway. If you install a designated 15A socket, I would have to check the AS3000 Wiring Rules, but may have a 20A circuit breaker also. Any domestic electricians here clarify this, I am a mine electrician and this is something I haven't really worked with in a while!

Oh the other thing to be mindful of is that Australian Standards has a separate set of wiring rules for Caravan Parks!!!