Help on a silly question

goanna

Jul 8, 2011
Perth WA
What does anyone do when they leave the tow still attached to the van when they free camp or stay in a park for one night. Do you lower the jockey wheel and then the stabilisers to a point of leveling the van or is there another trick to it so as to you having a good level to sleep etc.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
When we have left the Expanda hooked up for an overnighter it has been in a road side stop and onced bush camping. We usually just move the car either forward or back to get it as level as possible. If this wasnt possible I would use the jockey wheel option as its the quickest. If its a quick overnighter were normally not that fussed as long as its pretty close :biggrin1:

If the Expanda is on a side angle I look for a rock or a stick to drive the low side wheel of the Expanda onto to level it out.

Ben

Aug 22, 2011
Mandurah, WA
Hey Goanna,

This will depend alot of the ride height on you're van when attached. If the van sits level on the tow vehicle when hitched you could simply wind down the stabilizers, and the jockey wheel to take a little load of the car. Don't think the stabilizers are designed to level/lift the van.

Ben

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
You should always try and get your van as level as possible for the sake of your fridge. Running it way off level will do damage in the long run.

Why? Can't remember - just know it does; something to do with being an absorbtion fridge and not having a compressor?

Maybe the more technical minded can comment?!

No such thing as a silly question - bet other people were or have thought the same in the past.

Lots of "new to vanning" people here and we are all here to help or in my case, be helped / advised!

Don't think the stabilizers are designed to level/lift the van.

Ben - they aren't and will break if you try and lift the van with them.

goanna

Jul 8, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Cruza Driva, Ben and bank of Dad thanks for your comments, I have only stopped once upto now in a place where I need to use the jockey wheel to level the van while still attached to the tow and found it a bit of an effort to level the van, my tow is a ranger and is levelish when towing and I was a bit worried about lifting the van and tow with the jockey wheel. I know that the stabilizers are just that (to stabilize ) but was concerned of the pressure put on the jockey wheel when not unhitching. anyway thanks again and will now go and have a practice