Heaters (Truma Gas vs Dometic Diesel)

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
So @BigSkiddy, you seem to be a sensible person (as a Jeep/Mopar person) what diesel heater did you get and would you consider a gas heater if doing it again or diesel only?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'd go for diesel, it's on the list........................easier, safer and less cost....................For the moment if down south we run for home state by the end of April.....

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
We have a truma gas heater in our current van (also in our last van).I wouldn't have a van without one. Even on hot days we turn just the fan on to circulate the air, so gets used most trips. Reason we chose gas was I didn't want to add an additional fuel ( if our appliances all ran on diesel as some motorhomes do I may have chosen a diesel). I can't really comment on the diesel ones as I've only ever seen one in operation and personally didn't like the smell of the exhaust produced, that was a Chinese knock off unit. We mainly free camp so rely heavily on gas but I've never found ours to use a lot of gas and we leave it on through the night cycling on and off 24/7 during cold winter trips. Only time we use a lot of gas is in summer when the fridge is chewing through it, even then still have plenty of supply with two bottles. In no way do I believe it to be unsafe (or less so than diesel even though yes it's a more volitile fuel) as I wouldn't jeopardize my family in any way. There's a hell of a lot more chance of the gas stoves being turned on or faulty and we all have them from jayco anyhow(at least they use decent dometic units) as the heaters hidden away from wandering fingers.

Horses for courses

Ain't it grand we aren't communists :D

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
So @BigSkiddy, you seem to be a sensible person (as a Jeep/Mopar person) what diesel heater did you get and would you consider a gas heater if doing it again or diesel only?
Hah! Driving a Jeep ain't sensible according to most.
But as a gambling man in buying a Jeep, same with the diesel heater, I got a shonky one off Ali Express (Chinese Ebay...).
See this link to my install. I'm really happy with it and wouldn't change to gas.

Reactions: Vere and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Found Mrs D checking out oil burner heaters on Ebay, I might be in luck but I think she is thinking of doing some visiting in Vic and ACT in the colder months think I might suggest Winton would be better.

Reactions: dagree and Vere