Heaters (Truma Gas vs Dometic Diesel)

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
With all this talk of heaters I have been doing some research on Gas vs Diesel.

I am not convinced on the diesel it is obviously cheaper to run from looking at the specs.

But I can not get my head around having a separate fuel tank that requires diesel fuel in the van and a diesel motor running in the van whilst releasing diesel gas as well to the outside.

So what makes diesel so special compared gas?

Looking at the gas option I already have two 9kgs bottles so approximately 100hrs of heating only use on gas for the Truma unit so more than ample heat time.

Its a smaller install for gas as it only requires a vent to the outside and some games pipes instead of the diesel which needs a big hole for the units exhaust pipes, fuel tanks, fuel filler neck, fuel lines etc etc.

So is there a huge performance difference between the gas or the diesel or another reason I am missing why people are going the diesel path?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Could be an interesting debate. Gas for me but I am biased however I don't have one in my van but if I did it would be gas. I like the fact that if you buy an approved gas unit for Australia, it is certified for our conditions and a manufacturer has paid a substantial amount of money to make sure it is suitable, safe and legal for our applications. Then it has to be connected by a licensed professional.
Gas is cleaner for the environment. You generally already have gas on your van so as stated prior, no other fuel tanks etc to worry about. No noisy pumps.

Reactions: Bmhdg76 and blacky

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I have pondered this on and off since buying the Expanda. The problem with the Expanda especially the 16:49-3 in a lounge there was no room that made it feasible.

If diesel I would buy a Chinese one for <$900 and install myself. If buying a new van again now :behindsofa: I would get the gas. As you mentioned you have the fuel onboard. Biggest pain seems to be you have to remove a cap outside to start it?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
What's the deal with the cap anyhow. The fridges don't have a cap

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Its a shame no one has come up with a unit that takes water from the HWS and transfers thru a heat exchanger and blows warm air thru ductwork. Sort of like hydronic heating. Probably not that hard to do. mmmmm;)

Mate that's a very clever idea. if you strip the foam insulation back you get to the tank, really just need to blow some air over it in a ducted fashion.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Its a shame no one has come up with a unit that takes water from the HWS and transfers thru a heat exchanger and blows warm air thru ductwork. Sort of like hydronic heating. Probably not that hard to do. mmmmm;)
That's how the heater in your car works & is a great idea, it's just that the energy draw in the van would be high as you need a water pump to make the water flow through the heat exchanger, plus a fan to blow the air over the exchanger.
Just need to find a low flow / current draw water pump & the same for the fan

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
Reactions: Base23

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
OK - it's been awhile since this thread received any attention. I am thinking about what to do for next winter and am sure I am not alone. So any updates from the brains trust in this forum?

One thing for me is I am told the gas version needs to be flued through the side wall and the diesel through the floor. I am leaning towards the gas but am not sure I want a hole in the side. (maybe silly but floor seems less dramatic)

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
OK - it's been awhile since this thread received any attention. I am thinking about what to do for next winter and am sure I am not alone. So any updates from the brains trust in this forum?

One thing for me is I am told the gas version needs to be flued through the side wall and the diesel through the floor. I am leaning towards the gas but am not sure I want a hole in the side. (maybe silly but floor seems less dramatic)
I went through this descision last year.

Did a heap of research and looked at both gas and diesel.

I was thinking gas was the best way to go, until I actually had a look at the size and cost of the Trauma gas vs what I could get the Eberspacher diesel for.

I also looked st how much gas I was already using whilst free camping, and with hot water, fridge, stove and weber I was concerned about how quickly I'd go through the gas.

After all of that I decided on the diesel, which had the added bonus of not needing a
Licensed plumber to connect it up.

It's a great dit of kit, very economical on diesel, and I only carry the tank around when I need it. Happy with the choice.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Don't all vans have gas heating? I just wack the stove on to warm things up.
That will only work for a very short time till your CO detector goes off or you die if you don't have a CO detector. A stove in a van needs to have good ventilation or it can be lethal, that is why most manufactures install door and ceiling vents, which should never be blocked when cooking. They also often install 12V range hoods to not only get rid of cooking smells but mainly get rid gas burn products like CO. Also no matter how cold open a couple of windows when using a gas stove inside the van. We have a $50 eBay induction hotplate and a microwave which we use for most inside cooking when on 240V or have a enough battery to run the inverter. OR like many of us cook outside on the BBQ.

Seriously, Carbon Monoxide (CO) is very nasty it will kill you in your sleep or will put you to sleep to kill you. A properly installed gas or diesel heater is awesome and does not put any fumes into the van. Unfortunately, I have come across people who use small gas radiators in vans and I don't hesitate to make myself very unpopular and tell them if they want to commit suicide it would be better so to do it outside so others don't have to risk CO poisoning to give first aid. A real problem with CO poisoning is that the victims have a lovely healthy red glow to their faces, they look asleep, though they are often past help. Many inexperienced people do not know there is a real risk in the confined space and easily can become victims while working out what is going on. CO is odourless and very subtle and regularly kills people. Exposure to CO is also linked to heart attacks after exposure.

Sorry for the rant. Please do not even joke about heating using a stove in a confined space, other high risk heating items in confined spaces are charcoal burners and of course gas radiators. Cheap insurance is to buy a CO detector they cost about $20. I know the above quoted post is an old post, but please be careful I do not want to read about more deaths in caravans, or cabins this winter.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
That will only work for a very short time till your CO detector goes off or you die if you don't have a CO detector. A stove in a van needs to have good ventilation or it can be lethal, that is why most manufactures install door and ceiling vents, which should never be blocked when cooking. They also often install 12V range hoods to not only get rid of cooking smells but mainly get rid gas burn products like CO. Also no matter how cold open a couple of windows when using a gas stove inside the van. We have a $50 eBay induction hotplate and a microwave which we use for most inside cooking when on 240V or have a enough battery to run the inverter. OR like many of us cook outside on the BBQ.

Seriously, Carbon Monoxide (CO) is very nasty it will kill you in your sleep or will put you to sleep to kill you. A properly installed gas or diesel heater is awesome and does not put any fumes into the van. Unfortunately, I have come across people who use small gas radiators in vans and I don't hesitate to make myself very unpopular and tell them if they want to commit suicide it would be better so to do it outside so others don't have to risk CO poisoning to give first aid. A real problem with CO poisoning is that the victims have a lovely healthy red glow to their faces, they look asleep, though they are often past help. Many inexperienced people do not know there is a real risk in the confined space and easily can become victims while working out what is going on. CO is odourless and very subtle and regularly kills people. Exposure to CO is also linked to heart attacks after exposure.

Sorry for the rant. Please do not even joke about heating using a stove in a confined space, other high risk heating items in confined spaces are charcoal burners and of course gas radiators. Cheap insurance is to buy a CO detector they cost about $20. I know the above quoted post is an old post, but please be careful I do not want to read about more deaths in caravans, or cabins this winter.
Unfortunately it's a growing trend with increasing power and gas prices to see deaths from people using outdoor heaters inside to keep warm.

Reactions: Drover

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Don't all vans have gas heating? I just wack the stove on to warm things up.
@yabbietol I think I made this comment in the context of when I first got my van.
I would boil the kettle for a cuppa after waking up, surprising how it would take the chill out of the air.
It was the only way to get the wife out of bed.

But definitely wouldn't run the gas stove whilst sleeping.

BTW got a diesel heater now :).