17' Series Heading to the Cape

Zilla

Nov 10, 2014
At the end of April we are heading to Far North Queensland with our spanking new 2015 17.56 OB being our new home for a MINIMUM of 6 mths. Our tow vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Prado Grande 4 litre V6 petrol, (Yes we like to do it in style). We have had this vehicle since new and have seen all the west coast right up to Darwin and down the centre back home to Melbourne in this vehicle, we were towing our Flamingo camper back then in 2008.
I would love to hear from everyone who has done this trip, I am all ears for experiences, best places to stay, must do's and dont's, advice, tips and tricks !!!
For starters I have heard many conflicting opinions of the trip from Cooktown to the Cape regarding the ability to take the Panda. I have always been prepared to tent this route as I was always under the impression that the route was to tough to take a van. We did this often on our trip in 2008, leaving the van at a park or roadhouse and tenting places that gave us far more flexibility on the more difficult Terrain.

Reactions: Smirke

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
That trip is next on my "must do" list after we do the centre loop this year. I can't offer advice other than to take plenty of cash, because that V6 is going to DRINK;)

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
We did it back in 2010. At the time we decided to leave the van in Cooktown as we were unsure of the road conditions. As it turned out we could have easily got the van all the way up there using the PDR (obviously the OTT is out of the question..hehe). Once up there we would have used it as a base at toured around but we tented it for 11 nights, including 2 nights on the OTT and 3 in Weipa.

I can't wait to get back there.
BTW, I did it in a V6 petrol Pajero and I averaged 30lt/100 towing our 17.56-2. I reckon you'll do similar.
Petrol up there back then was $2.05, I reckon it'll be a bit more now.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
@Zilla I have dont this trip twice, once with a tent and again with a camper. Both time we did the OTL, it is a solid 4wd track. If you want to do this part you could not do it with a van.

However, if you are happy to do corrugations then you can take it all the way on the development track. They are bad in parts, but if you are earlier in the season (but after the grader) you will be fine. The real 4wd part is the OTL, so you could take the van to Bramwell Junction (Start of OTL) and leave the van here. Do a day trip up the first part, and then return the development track. This would be solid day. Then hook up the van and run back up to Fruit Ball Falls. Then camp a night or 2 and do the OTL north end and then return to your van. Then again connect up and head to the cape and another caravan park.

Knowing what i know now, i would have no hesitation taking our van. If you want to maximise the experience then take a tent and small supplies and do a night on the track. I can give you a few places that would be awesome to spend some time relaxing and swimming.

If you would like more info, i am happy to give you an old iteneray. But there are enough places to leave your van to look at the good spots if you wish. There is a small amount of back tracking but it is certainly doable.

It is just a matter of how fast you want to travel.

Good luck with the trip.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW

Some very minor preparation of the van is needed for the Cape. Cooktown to Laura is bitumen (Was in 2013) and they were extending it. Make sure you cover ALL vents to stop dust ingress. Have a look under the back of the van and run some silicon into to gap between the fibreglass shell and the floor. Then work your way forward filling every little gap. Wrap all wiring in conduit and any exposed pipes/water tanks. There is more info on this in my trip report that @cruza driver has linked above.

Must do's:

Paranella Park near Innisfail. Camp overnight and do the night tour as well. Get in early in the day and your entry fee includes your night in the caravan park.

Koranda Train and Skyrail in cairns.

Day trip to Thursday Island.

We camped at Loyalty Beach when at the tip, has power, no pool. The next best option is Punsland Bay, although no power there.

Bramwell Station is a nicer camp than Bramwell Junction.

Take the van all the way to the top and day trip on the OTT.

Drop tyre pressures on the dirt approx 25psi worked for me. (Both car and van)

Don'ts:

Take the van up the OTT!

Feel free to ask any other questions, more than happy to help, only request is post lots of pics so I can dream of how good it was!

Zilla

Nov 10, 2014
That trip is next on my "must do" list after we do the centre loop this year. I can't offer advice other than to take plenty of cash, because that V6 is going to DRINK;)
thanks for that soaring, when we did the west coast and centre in 2008 the most we paid was $2.30 so we were hoping it might be a little cheaper this time around.

Zilla

Nov 10, 2014
We did it back in 2010. At the time we decided to leave the van in Cooktown as we were unsure of the road conditions. As it turned out we could have easily got the van all the way up there using the PDR (obviously the OTT is out of the question..hehe). Once up there we would have used it as a base at toured around but we tented it for 11 nights, including 2 nights on the OTT and 3 in Weipa.

I can't wait to get back there.
BTW, I did it in a V6 petrol Pajero and I averaged 30lt/100 towing our 17.56-2. I reckon you'll do similar.
Petrol up there back then was $2.05, I reckon it'll be a bit more now.
Thanks Matty4. I assume the the PDR is the "developmental" road what does the OTT stand for

Zilla

Nov 10, 2014
@Zilla I have dont this trip twice, once with a tent and again with a camper. Both time we did the OTL, it is a solid 4wd track. If you want to do this part you could not do it with a van.

However, if you are happy to do corrugations then you can take it all the way on the development track. They are bad in parts, but if you are earlier in the season (but after the grader) you will be fine. The real 4wd part is the OTL, so you could take the van to Bramwell Junction (Start of OTL) and leave the van here. Do a day trip up the first part, and then return the development track. This would be solid day. Then hook up the van and run back up to Fruit Ball Falls. Then camp a night or 2 and do the OTL north end and then return to your van. Then again connect up and head to the cape and another caravan park.

Knowing what i know now, i would have no hesitation taking our van. If you want to maximise the experience then take a tent and small supplies and do a night on the track. I can give you a few places that would be awesome to spend some time relaxing and swimming.

If you would like more info, i am happy to give you an old iteneray. But there are enough places to leave your van to look at the good spots if you wish. There is a small amount of back tracking but it is certainly doable.

It is just a matter of how fast you want to travel.

Good luck with the trip.
Thanks TTBridge, a lot of great info. We kept a diary of our trip up the west coast and back down the centre back in 08. still makes for great reading and to continue the juices flowing to get back out there. This time we are heading of for a minimum 6 months with no real deadline to bring us home

Zilla

Nov 10, 2014
I know that @BUSH PALACE is heading that way in August/Septemeber too.
I will have a read of your link ASAP, thanks heaps for all that info. Looks like I'm going to be fairly busy between when we take delivery of the van and end I April before we leave. We may have already left the Cape by the time Bush Palace arrives

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Thanks Matty4. I assume the the PDR is the "developmental" road what does the OTT stand for
Yep, PDR is the Peninsula Development Road and the OTT is the Old Telegraph Track. Some call it the Old Telegraph Line but to my mind you're really driving on a track, not a line, you just follow the old Telegraph Line. Same same.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I also highly recommend taking your van up to the top. Also take some tents to give you the best opportunity to experience and explore along the OTT. We spent 2 nights camped at Twin Falls, you won't get the van in there. We then did a day trip down to Fruit Bat falls and spent most of the day there. Brilliant.
We camped at Loyalty Beach and went to the tip from there and also visited Punsand Bay for a swim in their pool and a few drinks and lunch from their
bar.

Reactions: crackacoldie

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Forgot to add, the biggest preparation for both car and van, add a dob of silicon to the thread of everything that may come loose, this includes the flick mixer tap handles in the van. The corrogations will shake everything loose.

Also take some slightly larger gauge wood screws that Jayco put into the cupboard doors. If any come loose, replace with the larger gauge, slightly longer ones.

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Six month in a new expanda ! Whatever you do it's going to be great & you'll remember it forever.
I haven't been past Cooktown but best advise is to play it by ear & keep you options open.. Things change depending on the weather & advise people may give you that are travelling the opposite direction..

I'm leave at the end of March to head across top end & over to Broome so I'll be doing what I just said above..

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
I'm envious of you. We are heading up September/October but we are leaving our beloved Expanda at home. We are roof toping it for about 4-5 weeks and are in the process of setting up our landcruiser v8 double cab for the trip. Can't wait to see your posts of your preparations and trip.