Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Well four days of winter here and a couple were very Canberran, must be getting older Mrs D and I have both decided the Grandkids can wait till about October, no mid year visits anymore too damn cold.......................

Well ,well @Drover , you must be getting old!! Yes, the mornings have been "cold" (for us anyway!) at around 10C or less in some parts of Brisvegas, but at 9.30am this morning, a warm and sunny 21C and heading for 25C. Eat your hearts out "Mexicans"!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well ,well @Drover , you must be getting old!! Yes, the mornings have been "cold" (for us anyway!) at around 10C or less in some parts of Brisvegas, but at 9.30am this morning, a warm and sunny 21C and heading for 25C. Eat your hearts out "Mexicans"!
Winters are a regular occurrence for us, this isn't our first rodeo. Your cheap taunts are wasted on us born and bred Mexicans, we love winters and its only those with a weak constitution cant immerse themselves in the wonder of a southern winter. Only a true winter climate can bring out the beautiful autumns that we have and you cant have snow without cold, and snow is something we love and look forward every year. Diversity is the key

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Winters are a regular occurrence for us, this isn't our first rodeo. Your cheap taunts are wasted on us born and bred Mexicans, we love winters and its only those with a weak constitution cant immerse themselves in the wonder of a southern winter. Only a true winter climate can bring out the beautiful autumns that we have and you cant have snow without cold, and snow is something we love and look forward every year. Diversity is the key
Hi,
when will you post pictures of you rolling around in the snow followed by a quick dive through the ice into the lake for a wash before breakfast.

Or are you one of those "Ain't that diesel heater marvelous on these chilly winter mornings, nothing beats sitting at the table having breakfast and peering through the mist watching the autumn leaves dropping onto the frosty grass" types?

take care
Mike

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,
when will you post pictures of you rolling around in the snow followed by a quick dive through the ice into the lake for a wash before breakfast.

Or are you one of those "Ain't that diesel heater marvelous on these chilly winter mornings, nothing beats sitting at the table having breakfast and peering through the mist watching the autumn leaves dropping onto the frosty grass" types?

take care
Mike
Im not going outside Mike, are you crazy its freaken freezing.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Im not going outside Mike, are you crazy its freaken freezing.
Hi,
we were doing the Cradle Mountain hike in Summer. But it had been snowing and it was freezing overnight for
almost the entire walk.
A group of hikers from overseas were admiring a waterfall and dared each other to go in for a dip. Two or three
took up the challenge.
I swear that they were not in the water long enough to even get wet.
Certainly not for me!

We don't have a heater in the Penguin, but we survive quite well even when it is below zero thanks to thermal
underwear, beanies, woolen gloves, and woollen socks. But the trouble really starts when we have to get out bed.

But once the chippie is lit to boil water, all is well. Then we can admire the autumn leaves.

Below zero and the curtain runners freeze up from the condensation inside the van and droplets freeze on the ceiling.

take care
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I love this banter......................:D:D:D:D:D .................... Canberra in July means the heater in van fires up at about 1600 and runs all night thru to 0830 at least, sometimes the AC can't hack it so gets shut down and the oil burner is fired up, running the oil burner might cost me 3 lts but its going flat out to stop Jack Frost seeping in..............Canberra has a cold that reaches the bones, when we lived in Canberra the word was turn heaters on Anzac day, turn them off in October.............. There was once an idiot that rode his Honda to work the morning it snowed and many other mornings when it was too cold to snow..........

A winters morning in Charleville will soon have you in an eskimo suit, Don't you worry about that !!!!!!

Reactions: Johnanbev

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic

I hate winter who are you kidding !

Reactions: Bluey and Crusty181

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
I love this banter......................:D:D:D:D:D .................... Canberra in July means the heater in van fires up at about 1600 and runs all night thru to 0830 at least, sometimes the AC can't hack it so gets shut down and the oil burner is fired up, running the oil burner might cost me 3 lts but its going flat out to stop Jack Frost seeping in..............Canberra has a cold that reaches the bones, when we lived in Canberra the word was turn heaters on Anzac day, turn them off in October.............. There was once an idiot that rode his Honda to work the morning it snowed and many other mornings when it was too cold to snow..........

A winters morning in Charleville will soon have you in an eskimo suit, Don't you worry about that !!!!!!
Never been as cold in my life as being in western Queensland in winter, temps in the minus and that freaking wind. It never gets that cold here in mexico

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,
we were doing the Cradle Mountain hike in Summer. But it had been snowing and it was freezing overnight for
almost the entire walk.
A group of hikers from overseas were admiring a waterfall and dared each other to go in for a dip. Two or three
took up the challenge.
I swear that they were not in the water long enough to even get wet.
Certainly not for me!

We don't have a heater in the Penguin, but we survive quite well even when it is below zero thanks to thermal
underwear, beanies, woolen gloves, and woollen socks. But the trouble really starts when we have to get out bed.

But once the chippie is lit to boil water, all is well. Then we can admire the autumn leaves.

Below zero and the curtain runners freeze up from the condensation inside the van and droplets freeze on the ceiling.

take care
Mike
I thought i was reading the script for a horror movie .... "No Heater in Tassy", everyone dies including the film crew

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
@Drover question what do you call a brass monkey or should we ask the wider brains trust ????? Where dose the saying come from freeze the balls off a brass monkey ????? Your a sea dog you will know bet others dont ????

Hi @Bluey , of course @Drover will know the answer, but so do I. As a Tourist Guide at the old Fort Lytton site at the mouth of the Brisbane River, we have both the cannon balls (iron) and the brass monkeys too. The saying originated from the man-o war sailing ships which were armed with muzzle loading cannon of various calibre. The spare cannon balls were placed on the deck close to each cannon, and to prevent them rolling around the deck, they were all stacked inside a triangular frame pyramid style. The cannon balls were made of iron and the monkey was made of brass. When it got cold enough, the brass monkey contracted more than the cannon balls and forced the cannon balls over the edge of the Monkey. Hence the saying: "Cold enough to freeze the balls (cannon ball type!) off a brass monkey ( triangular frame made of brass to hold cannon balls in position on deck)".

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and at West Head the balls weren't iron............:o:o........ Middle of July, wind first stop since leaving Antartica would find us patrolling the fence line in the best cold weather gear the Navy had, WW2 Navy version of an Army great coat called a watch coat, basically a dark blue blanket with sleeves, no lining, we froze and our hut had a small 2 bar heater that was only good for cooking toast on....................... Must admit I do like the snow country, can be quite nice even to running around in shorts at times.............though the area where I live is nice pretty well in shorts for 360 days of the year.

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
and at West Head the balls weren't iron............:o:o........ Middle of July, wind first stop since leaving Antartica would find us patrolling the fence line in the best cold weather gear the Navy had, WW2 Navy version of an Army great coat called a watch coat, basically a dark blue blanket with sleeves, no lining, we froze and our hut had a small 2 bar heater that was only good for cooking toast on....................... Must admit I do like the snow country, can be quite nice even to running around in shorts at times.............though the area where I live is nice pretty well in shorts for 360 days of the year.
I thought I read somewhere that you were in trakkie daks a couple of days ago!!