Generator

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
Hey there,

We are looking at 16.49.1 expanda with the a/c. What wattage do you need to run the a/c as I have read conflicting stories.

I was wondering what you all think to the Stanley 2000W digital inverter generators? My husband has his eye on one but I am not sure I want to steer away from a Honda. Would appreciate all your thoughts and what you guys use?

Thanks,

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
We have the Honda 2000w and runs the A/C fine so the Stanley 2000w also should do it with ease, if unsure ask the dealer if you can bring the van in to try it first, just make sure the hot water service is turned off.

Christian

image0006.jpg

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Oils aint oils...

Hey benandjordansmum, welcome to the forum.

Firstly I would agree that yes the 2000W should be able to provide the necessary power to run the A/C. The generator also needs to have enough peak power to ensure that the load starts. The specifications should say it has about another 20% peak power, if not ask the seller for more information as it may struggle.

Secondly, I would check the waveform output of the generator and confirm that this is pure or true sine wave. Many loads like sensitive equipment and microwaves require as close to a pure sine wave supply as possible and some generators (to save costs) have an output that closely resembles a sine wave but may cause issues, otherwise known as digital inverter types.

This is why the Honda/Yamaha generators are more expensive due to the output being a pure sine wave with very little distortion and better power quality than your supply at home. They will always be able to run any sort of equipment without issue where some of the others may struggle with certain tasks.

Found a really good info sheet about the different types that you can read up on (Link) for a site in the US but keep in mind that they use 120Vac and 60 hertz whereas we use 240Vac and 50 hertz. But the underlying theory is all the same.

Be good to hear from others on the forum if they have had any issues with other types other than the leading brands, especially pertaining to microwaves or battery chargers.

Cheers.

Filbee

Jan 15, 2012
Generators

I have a Honda 2kVA, but the Yamaha also comes highly recommended. These would be considered the two top brands on the Australian market. Genquip makes 2kVA unit and has been around for a few years now. Jayco dealers I've noticed tend to sell Kipor units. The main thing about deviating away from the name brand gerenators is the servicing outlets. Honda distributors, and probably the same for Yamaha, are all over Australia. So the question is: where are the dealers for the Stanley generator located? MTBW, Filbee