G'day from JACCLS

JACCLS

Jan 17, 2011
Brisbane
From tent to camper trailer and soon to an expanda. I am looking at either 16.49-2 OB or 17.56-2 OB (the wife doesn't see the need for the toilet/shower?? though:confused:)

How high is the expanda with the dometic A.C on the roof when the van is all packed up. Hopefull less than 2.5m to get in the carport.

I'm planning on taking the kids (3) on a drive from Brisbane to Broome with heaps of detours on the way later this year. With a van, the wife and the toddler may even come along. Has anyone taken the OB to some of the more remote places?. We still have the tent so the van can be a base camp of sorts.

Tow vehicle: 2009 GU Patrol - white with red dust.

JACCLS

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Jaccls and welcome to the forum. I can't answer your questions on the 16 & 17 footers (are they full height or pop tops) but you should get your wife to talk to mine regarding the need for toilet/shower. We have the T/S in a 14 footer and it is great for roadside stops.

As for the trip from Brisbane to Broome, we did it in 2006 with a camper-trailer and left the camper at Kunnunurra because we wanted to go into some rough spots. The Bungle Bungles do not allow caravans in at all (we counted 23 water crossings on the way in.) The Great Northern Hwy is sealed all the way to Broome but many side tracks are dirt although the OB should handle most of them without difficulty. The Gibb River Rd is dirt for most of the way although it is sealed at both ends and the gap is closing. Crossing the GRR would depend on time of year, how soon after the wet season, and whether it has been graded. I would not recommend going up the Kalumbaru Rd towards Mitchells Falls. This was one of the worst roads encountered, the other being the road to Morninton Wilderness Park.

All that aside, mate it's a trip you must do. I am sure your family will enjoy it whichever way you decide to go. And the Patrol will love it. Good luck with choice and keep us posted.

Paul