Gas Regulator

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
Folks, I am putting my 2 Gas Bottles into my new Expanda Drwbar toolbox. Can someone advise me is it better to have the regulator outside or inside the tool box, I am using Braded line from the bottle to the regulator so have some flexibility..

Any suggestions on Ventilation if the Gas Bottles are in the Tool Box?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi kolega,

I don't see that it makes allot of difference except for the fact that you would have more connections where gas could leak from inside the box. If it was me I'd put it outside the box, easier access if you need to get to it for any reason. Obviously you need to find a spot where it will be protected from rocks etc while traveling, but I'm not a gas fitter so I don't know about legalities, that's just what I'd do!

Cheers.

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
kolega,

I agree with Burnsy that the regulator is better outside the box, preferably at the back to avoid damage, although having said that, most expandas have them right at the front of the van with no protection.

Any ventilation should be as close as possible to the bottom of the tool box, as you probably know LPG is heavier than air, which is what makes it dangerous in a confined space where it can't escape.

I can't see any reason for a new gas certificate through changing from copper pipe to braided hoses. When you get your bottles filled, you have to undo the fittings anyway. replacing them is a pretty simple matter but wise to ask advice in your State to be sure.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I've got mine inside the box. Make sure you leak test with some soapy water.
I'm no gas fitter so don't know the legalities of this. I'd recon it should be outside.
You probably want to make sure that you have a vent at the bottom of your storage box to allow for gas escape in case of leak or discharge from your bottles.

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
Thanks to all for the prompt response, This forum is Awesome, I am getting good advice from you all. Watch this space will be posting my Expanda Photos and mods in the next week or so.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi There Kolega. If you are in Vic' this link may be helpful. You can call them and ask their for their technical assistance. Our taxes pay for them so dont be scared to ask. I think after you read it all your questions will be answered. As i said in http://expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/1383-Gas-Certificate my opinion would be thet if you alter the copper fitting line in anyway then you will need a certificate.

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=WKDuDk6Ozpw=&tabid=341&mid=1541

Cheers Geoff

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think braided line was allowed for gas fittings?

Hi mate,

I have seen braided hoses on other vans and my mates (non Jayco) van has these on both his 9KG's factory fitted, I must say I hate those copper pigtails!

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Yes as long as it is a gas braided hose not a water one. It will have a yellow line on it or a yellow disc near one of the nuts. It must be AGA approved and must be used for its intended purpose and subject to the appliance manufacturers installation instructions.

Geoff