Gas Hot Water System, be carefull

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
You may also want to have a look in the document pouch that came with your van. From memory there was a one pager in the pack that described where to find the switch and what combination the switches need to be in depending on what you are doing.

Reactions: Willy

Willy

Nov 5, 2012
Newcastle
No switch, bought the expanda when it was 2 weeks old and didnt get any paperwork at all on the HWS. Am I correct in assuming therefore it is gas only?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
You system is not one of those endless hot water systems by any chance? I would be surprised if it is as I didn't think Jayco were supplying them.
Is there any foam casing at the back of the unit under the seat?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Willy, I'd give Jayco a call or google hws for your model van....I would be surprised if it's not electric also!

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
[MENTION=2386]Willy[/MENTION] just to be sure to be sure .. Open the cover over the HWS on the exterior of the van using the annoying little flap. As suggested earlier in the bottom left hand side behind the pipe is a small black on/off switch that kinda required golem's fingers to operate. When connected to electricity this is turned on and the gas switch on the interior is left off. If in doubt open the HWS grab a happy snap and post it up here.

Kimberley D

Sep 13, 2012
Darwin
I'm trying to get my head around this too! So, to run off gas you switch on the interior switch at feet level and have the outside switch to off. In doing this the interior switch glows red until the hot water system is lit?
Then, to run off electricity it is vice a versa with the interior switch kept off, and the exterior switch turned on. Is there anything else to do when running on electricty?
Thanks

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Yeah pretty sure that's it. The other bit I do is make sure the water is connected and I always run a bit through the HWS before I turn it on for the first time, either from mains or the pump.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
And then there is also the switch that is plugged into the hot water service. That's the only one I regularly turn off when not using the van to make sure the heater is not heating when there is potentially no water in the HWS.

Kimberley D

Sep 13, 2012
Darwin
Thanks. Does it take a few hours to heat up when using electricity? And how do you know it is on- any noise? Still not getting hot water when use electricty. Perhaps a visit to a Jayco dealer is in order so can check if i'm missing a step. This caravanning business sure is fun. Keeps you busy. Just started a year on the road!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Kimberley D, only takes about 30-40 min to heat up and no noise. It sounds like it maybe an element issue you have if your switch is on.....maybe book into Jayco and have it sorted.

Cheers.

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane
Just remember to purge the air out of your hot water system before you turn it on as this is one quick way to burn the element out.

Willy

Nov 5, 2012
Newcastle
Just got back from Crescent Head, fantastic spot, recommend to anyone who likes that sleepy old surf town feel.

Photo of HWS attached. I definitely can't find a switch, neither can Mrs Willy. Ive tried googling but can't find anything on my specific model. Next stop - Jayco!

Attachments

• 110.JPG
    110.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 364

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Doesn't look like a 240v system in that pic. Switch should be where that warning sticker is normally and also more wires. Looks like an old unit ????

Spranger

Mar 5, 2019
Tasmania
Hi there I know this is an old post but my 09 jayco basestation has just done the exact same thing in the water heater! My question is did your insurance cover the damage?
Mine has declined my claim due to them deeming that the fire was caused by wear and tear! I am fuming about this! Look forward to hearing how you went!! Cheers

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I say like others WOW when we brought our van i got them to move the switch to overhead cupboard to stop it being accidently turned on ....
Will be good if they investigate what happened
Being a gas problem wont some expert look at it ??????

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Got any pics @Spranger , this is an interesting thread but the final outcome was never resolved.............whats the problem with yours.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Insurance didn't bat and eyelid at it. They approved it fine. Might be the wording that the repairer says or something. That's the whole point of insurance, to cover accidents. They paid for new system, and fibreglass repair and repaint when it got done.
Should have nothing to do with wear and tear ? If the unit fails or becomes faulty and causes a fire then you should be covered. So they are saying if your house burns down and it's an old house then they won't pay for repairs ???
Get your repairer to quote on it saying it has been damaged by the fire which was caused by a probable gas leak. You may have to pay for the unit but all else should be covered. Good luck