Gas Hot Water System, be carefull

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Well the weekend turned out interesting didn't it.

Took the van out to our land to stay overnight with the family over the weekend. Had fridge turned on to gas and nothing else on all day. nobody went in the van all day as we had stuff to do. around 7pm or so we settled down to have some food and relax. Later that evening, could smell something plastic but couldn't work out what it was.

The miss's goes outside and starts screaming out to me. Bolt outside only to find a nice fire blazing away inside the the Hot Water System panel on the outside of the van. Oh #$@$ and a few more expletives come out.

Bolt around to the front of the van and turn off the gas. Run back and the flame dies out. Black soot and crap all over the side of the van, metal casing burning hot and lovely melted scorch mark on the side of the panda.

Not sure why but it looks like one of the kids hit those stupid switch's they insist on putting where your feet go and had turned on the hot water system. Now, shouldn't have mattered at all as it would have lit, heated up the water and then switched off as it's supposed to do but it DIDN'T.

May have been a small leak by the looks of it. We have never use the gas for the HWS only electric so have never tested it out except when we picked up the van and that was for only a few minutes. Although I cannot find a leak (soapy water) in the area. It looks like it is at the top of the control valve thingy as nothing below or to the right of that area has any damage ????

From the look of the damage it is all confined to the top left corner, it had burnt off the paint on the metal cover only in that corner as well as melted some plastic inside and all the heat was in that corner thus the fiberglass started to melt and crack.

Very very lucky indeed as it could have been a lot worse. Please everyone, make sure there are no leaks there as this is potentially a disaster waiting to happen.

I have wiped off all the soot as it looked awful and was frightening the kids but you can see what it has done.

side.JPG lid.JPG open.JPG inside1.JPG

Reactions: Duncanblake36

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Well done on your clear head running to turn the gas off straight away. I would have panicked and thrown my whiskey at it.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
It almost looks like it might have something to do with the reset panel (plastic smell)?? Just a guess though or do you think they may have melted due to the flame?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Looking at the burn pattern, it looks like if it was a leak it was from the test point. Thats the brass nipple protruding out. There should be a screw in it, maybe inside it. The wire above the testpoint looks burnt also. If it's only a test point leak, then the only damage would be cosmetic, still not good but it would not have done major damage to the unit.

gas leak 01.jpg

I highlighted the test point. If the unit was recently commissioned/repaired it may have been left out or it could have rattled out in transit (doubtful).

Geoff

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Bugger thats was damn lucky I always run ours on gas mainly because it reheats quicker, however I usually turn it off during the night as they can be a tad noisey, though today I did switch it back to 240.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Bought the van used so no warranty on that unfortunately. May have always leaked but never been an issue as no ignition point but when the kids knocked the switch on there was a flame so may have ignited the leak. Just guessing, no idea as i couldn't find any bubbles with the soap trick. Anyway, insurance job and they should replace the whole HWS to be safe.

If there is no water in the tank (and there was) then the gas shouldn't even ignite according to Jayco. Also when the temp gets to the operating temp it should of switched off anyway. Points to some kind of leak somewhere, maybe the regulator thingy that switch's the gas on or of maybe ??? Jayco reckon they have never seen that type of leak/damage but who knows.

Can thank my 4yo daughter for wanting to go outside when she did or we wouldn't have noticed it for longer with much worse results I would say.

solterb

Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne
wow that is scary and yes good thinking about the gas off first. Picking mine up on Thursday and they said one of the checks they do is to turn the gas on and leave it for 24 hours to test for leaks. However will keep an eye on this - thanks for the heads up

Tiger

Jan 16, 2013
Frankston, Vic
Have had gas leaks in our past two jayco vans one was on the switching valve between the twin gas bottles and the other at the main valve for the hot water unit my advise would be to check all connections with soapy water. Not sure what testing they do in the factory but would double check anyway.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I can confirm the gas testing Jayco do is excellent, every van is signed off by a licensed Plumber and independant audits carried out by the Plumbing industry commission (PIC). However somtimes an appliance can be faulty and you never know what happens to a van once it is onsold. Eg: Faulty appliance changed over or repaired months or years down the track.

Tiger

Jan 16, 2013
Frankston, Vic
Hi maccayak, agree with you that faulty appliance/repairs could have gas leaks, but our last two vans were brand new and certificates were supplied, but still had leaks the hot water service connection seemed as though it was only hand tightened could have been quite serious, I would still double check for leaks.

Willy

Nov 5, 2012
Newcastle
I've always run my HWS on gas. Decided to check operation using electricity. I had read on this forum previously there should be a switch in the HWS panel. I had a look yesterday and can't find one. Either I had a boy look and didn't see it, or mine is gas only. I bought the van second hand so I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I've always run my HWS on gas. Decided to check operation using electricity. I had read on this forum previously there should be a switch in the HWS panel. I had a look yesterday and can't find one. Either I had a boy look and didn't see it, or mine is gas only. I bought the van second hand so I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
If you have the switch, then it will be the only one with a red light. There is also a switch in the panel on the outside of the van. Do you have that?