17' Series Fun and games while away

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
Thought I'd share an amusing story of our getaway at christmas.

So on the 26th we are leaving home on the sunny coast to stradbroke island for 4 nights to test out the new to us destiny. I did a few minor things to the van before we left like an extra tv point, underslinging it and adding drop jacks. Anyway as we prepared to leave to make the 12 o clock barge checking the tyre pressures as i do before we leave i notice one on the car is down to about 20psi, pump it up and checked an hour later and was ok so we set off.

About 20 min into the trip i notice a funny noise from the waeco in the car and my dual battery light going on and off, pulled over and un-plugged the anderson (only goes to battery as the fridge has a hotwire in the 12 pin plug) and no more issues - something to fix later. 3/4 the way there we realise we changed the booking to the 2 o'clock barge, no worries we'll be early, Get there and they squeezed us onto the next barge - happy days. Get there and try and get into the camp site, find the office its closed - @ 4 - we said on the booking eta 4 - 4:30, found a ranger who was really helpfull and set up camp.

After unhitching i reversed the pajero into a very short post, destroying the rear bumper of taillight and bending the exhaust - a little annoyed but i'm on holidays so whatever.

It was hot so we opened all the windows, but at the start of the night it started raining (and didn't stop the rest of the trip) so we closed all the windows. Woke the next moring to find one window had been leaking badly during the night and there was water everywhere, we had the van leak tested before we left but opening the window obvioulsy caused an issue with the seal. Dried it all up and taped up the outside of the window no more leaks.

Tyre that was low at the start of the trip went down, so pulled the wheel off under the awning, repaired the puncture, went to pump it back up and my air hose was split. managed to tape it up and get it pumped up (i had a spare tyre anyway.

Ended up coming home after 2 nights as the rain wouldn't stop.

All in all the most eventful getaway we've had, but i wasn't at work so wasn't complaining.

3 inch exhaust is on the way and new bumper is getting painted as we speak, also getting all the side mouldings re-painted to tidy up some scrathes and chips so will work out well for the pajero in the end.