17' Series Full annexe on pop-tops

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
so, want to get a full annexe for our expanda OB. Is it true that we cannot as our fridge vents on that side?

I spoke to both Holiday Annezes and Australia Wide about getting quotes, told them the model and year, and neither asked me about the gas vent. I didn't offer the info either to be honest.

I've read some old threads that say it's illegal. Is that still the case?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
It apparently has been "illegal" for quite a few years but never enforced until an incident about two years ago (Can't remember the full details but involved a fatality).

I know around June/July last year annexe manufacturer's wouldn't supply to poptop owners with a fridge on the same side... Be interesting to see if they do one for you.

PS: We were lucky as we had ours fitted two months before "S" hit the fan over the issue!

Reactions: Brougham

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Things have gone quiet over the issue recently but one thing I heard was that annexe manufacturer's were to put a sign on them stating the dangers and that if using fridge on gas then "XYZ" venting was required?

Reactions: Brougham

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Thanks. Well, we need the annexe so will see how the canvas companies go with their info.

Interesting as we are in Perth, Holiday Annexes are happy fine me to measure up and they'll make and send over to me to install. Guess that option will 'ignore' the venting issues.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Maybe that's their "Get out of jail" way of doing it?

Apparently Australiawide Annexes now do a Shade Annexe that allows great sun and wind protection but allows you to see out. Maybe that is their fix for the issue?

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Be interested in the outcome @Brougham as I'm sure others will be as well.
We have the fully enclosed annexe and wouldn't want to be without it for longer stays and wet weekends away!

Supposedly the Shade Annexe that Australiawide now do are zipped or velcroed together to fully enclose the annexe. Might be something others may be interested in. (Not currently on their website but did see an ad for them on "faceache" tonight!)

PS... I have no affiliation with Australiawide other than a happy customer of one of their full canvas annexe's ;)

Reactions: bigcol

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
We had a Australia Wide Annex fitted this year and it has a vent in the skirt below the step. When I asked why, they said it has to be there. I wonder if it is to do with gas reg's?

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Yes mfexpander what i did was paid a caravan mob to disconnect the line to fridge easy from the main line to the shut off valve of fridge and got them to give me the copper they took out and blanked the ends so now no gas line to fridge now i have a receipt of work done eg proof so when they came to put my annex on he said im not supposed to do this i think he would have put it on anyway but i pulled out my receipt ah no worries he said took a pic of it so now its on me if anything happens but it wont as soon as he finnished gas was reconnected to fridge thanks for comming to easy will only use gas free camping annex wont be up anyway they do add a bit of weight to roof of poptop and want to pull it to one side evan with the little legs supporting the roof i think some have put heavier struts on roof ??????? Not sure i havent but evan jayco have said many go out of line very easy

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
thanks @17triton . What about the comment about the weight to the roof and needing to upgrade the struts? did you find that to be true? i wouldn't have thought it would add much. we dont have anything on the roof yey (we got the heron cabinet a/c) but will be adding solar panel(s) soon.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
thanks @17triton . What about the comment about the weight to the roof and needing to upgrade the struts? did you find that to be true? i wouldn't have thought it would add much. we dont have anything on the roof yey (we got the heron cabinet a/c) but will be adding solar panel(s) soon.

The struts aren't there to hold the roof up, there to help lift it. The quick lifts at the end's lock it in place so you won't have any problem with an annex, or solar.

Reactions: Delano