Ford Everest

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Well I am lucky enough to be driving a new Everest for the weekend to put some K's on before the official launch. All I can say is that before anyone purchases a new tow car, go and drive one. What an awesome vehicle!

Heaps of power, smooth quite ride and fantastic handling along with heaps of high tech driver assistance features.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I'm curious, with the Lane Keeping function and possible other things, where are the sensors or what ever that control them?

I was reading not long ago about some of these things and apparently some cars have them up in the region of the rear vision mirror and if you ever get a windscreen replaced then it has to go to the Dealer to have those functions set up again for accuracy. This would no doubt be at considerable cost and inconvenience particularly if you aren't near them.

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
The sensors for the lane keeping are behind the RV mirror but not "in" the windscreen. There are also sensors in the front and rear bumpers to enable the many other functions

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Sort of confirms what I've read, so what is in the Owners Manual regarding a windscreen replacement to verify continued accuracy of those functions and what will be Fords charges for that service if required?
I could see Insurance Companies altering their Policy for included windscreen replacements if there is to be additional costs.

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
No real difference with any brand of modern cars. If you choose to replace any part with a non genuine part then no one knows what the effect will be.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
No real difference with any brand of modern cars. If you choose to replace any part with a non genuine part then no one knows what the effect will be.
While I have no intimate knowledge of what the Ford system is the issue I would be worried about is that you don't normally go to the Dealer just for a windscreen replacement. If as I've read that you do have to have the Dealer check that all is still working OK then getting a replacement windscreen has become a lot more complicated. The issue that I read about is that a Manufacturer now has to check it as they have no control over the quality of the replacement windscreen or how it was installed, therefore the sensor that for example checks for lane departure may not then be seeing correctly. If a person was to then drive off from a non-Dealer fitted and adjusted windscreen then the Owner/driver may not be aware that the relevant function is not safe to rely on. This could then bring on Insurance and liability issues in the event of an accident.

While there are some modern electronics that I might enjoy I absolutely dislike the evolving design of cars that ensure that as much maintenance as possible has to be done by Dealers. This doesn't just apply to Ford. This would be fine if servicing costs and spare parts from the Dealer and Manufacturer were not priced so highly. There is an increasing lack of choice happening as to doing anything other than from the Dealer. I particularly dislike the lack of availability of a Factory Service Manual. Not everyone will require servicing from Dealers and particularly with an expired warranty we as owners should have available Service/Repair Manuals at a reasonable cost. Even if you can convince a Dealer to allow you to buy one you just about have to hock a valuable appendage to purchase it. Last one I pressed for was approaching $2000 (3 thick ring binders and about 3000 pages) for my RTV as no-one outside of Ford produced one that covered it.

There's a good report from overseas recently that surveyed Owners as to how much of the modern tech now fitted to their cars that are actually used. Wasted money for so much of it.

My rant.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
@PhilD nice rant.

Bigger issue with heading towards compulsory dealer services will be availability of dealers or their agents.

This will essentially push people to brands that exist in their area. When I bought my cruiser last year I did so on the basis of dealer availability, even though I really wanted a Discovery. The Disco is the better vehicle for off-road and value for money but Land Rover doesn't cover regional areas or the outback very well.

The cruiser is ok don't get me wrong, I just hated having the choice taken away from me.

Reactions: bigcol

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
[QUOTE="peterg, post: 128875, member: 4582]@PhilD nice rant.

Bigger issue with heading towards compulsory dealer services will be availability of dealers or their agents.

This will essentially push people to brands that exist in their area. When I bought my cruiser last year I did so on the basis of dealer availability, even though I really wanted a Discovery. The Disco is the better vehicle for off-road and value for money but Land Rover doesn't cover regional areas or the outback very well.

The cruiser is ok don't get me wrong, I just hated having the choice taken away from me.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. My closest alternate Ford Dealer is either Alice Springs then Mt Isa. Toyota is about everywhere.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
yeah, it sure was from 1998 to 2002 - until they fixed the problem - but that is beside the point you were trying to make
@Bank of Dad

you could have also said to @davemc that the Lucas electrics on series 1& 2 & 3 Land rovers were crappy - just as pointless
Don't believe everything you here, The 3.0L was not made in 98 and 99. It was first released in 2000. The motor although better in the later models wasn't fixed until the release of the CRD in 2007. The amount that have crapped themselves in CRD is minimal and when they stuff up it is due to a non related issue that caused the non CRD models to pop.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Apparently they're out already.
I know of one that's already been delivered to a purchaser.
If I find time in the next week or so I'm keen to have a good look at one.

Reactions: Tricky

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Just had the Ranger at a Dealer for servicing in Adelaide. Wandered into the showroom and there was an Everest, top model. Sat in, looked around a chatted with Salesman for some time. Despite all that has been written, in this Forum and elsewhere, the one thing I was most surprised at was what happened when you pressed the fuel filler door. There's two filler caps inside with one labelled Adblue.This will be fun for a large number of buyers who have never heard of this stuff. Quite common in truck stops and country areas but probably not common in metro areas. Salesman had not even heard of it and Service staff only aware of it as they had to do predelivery and fuel it up. I'd like to hear about what happens when this tank runs out as to any performance issues etc.

Reactions: bigcol