Folding Bikes? Any good?

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I am looking into folding bikes at the moment and would appreciate any feedback from members who already have them. I have seen in one post that chart rock has them, so if your reading chart rock would love some extra info and advice! What brand do you have? Are you happy with them? Do they handle/ride like a normal bike? Sorry, so many questions......
For the time being we won't be going down the path of bike racks so looks like folding bikes may be the answer.
Have found a few online companies but none are in my area. So I'm a little hesitant to purchase online having not had a test ride first.
Thanks All.
Lara.

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
My parents gave me a couple when they stopped using them. They go really well. I cant remember the brand ill have a look when i get home from work. The only thing i find when rididing them is that there a bit tippy/skiddy its hard to explIn but sometimes the wheels feel like they could skid out from under you, but after riding it for a while you get used it and are aware of it.

Lizard

Reactions: Lara

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
We met a couple in park who were riding a couple of the Aldi ones that come up from time to time. They were quite happy with them and had tried others. Aldi had them again around Sept (?) last year so we got one then. ("Crane" brand). We've had no issues with it. It folds up small enough to fit in the wifes car, can take my fat weight and seems of reasonable build. We looked at other from TXP (who also make those folding ladders someone asked about recently) and found them no better or worse.

I did find it took the longest time trying to fit the bike back in the bag it came with. But a few years ago Rays had large folding bike bags for sale for $10 or so (maybe still do) and I had one of those for all our beach stuff. Just swapped the bags over and all good now.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
My parents gave me a couple when they stopped using them. They go really well. I cant remember the brand ill have a look when i get home from work. The only thing i find when rididing them is that there a bit tippy/skiddy its hard to explIn but sometimes the wheels feel like they could skid out from under you, but after riding it for a while you get used it and are aware of it.

Lizard
Thanks FishingLizard,
After doing my Internet searches I had read they can handle/ride differently. Good to hear that it's not a problem and easy to get used to.
Cheers!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
We met a couple in park who were riding a couple of the Aldi ones that come up from time to time. They were quite happy with them and had tried others. Aldi had them again around Sept (?) last year so we got one then. ("Crane" brand). We've had no issues with it. It folds up small enough to fit in the wifes car, can take my fat weight and seems of reasonable build. We looked at other from TXP (who also make those folding ladders someone asked about recently) and found them no better or worse.

I did find it took the longest time trying to fit the bike back in the bag it came with. But a few years ago Rays had large folding bike bags for sale for $10 or so (maybe still do) and I had one of those for all our beach stuff. Just swapped the bags over and all good now.

Thanks StrayDingo,
Might be worth waiting for Aldi to bring them out again. Do you remember how much they cost? I just have to get there early from what I've read in other posts about Aldi sales, or Oldie sales as someone else called it!
Really wanted to get a couple before the Easter school holidays, so we'll see what comes up!
Cheers!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Cheers AJC,
I want durable and long lasting, will check out Wooly wheels, thanks!
Think I need to buy in Sydney and not interstate, for servicing or replacement parts alone. Apparently most bike shops wont service or repair folding bikes if they dont stock them as they have different parts etc that most bike shops don't usually have. So if I buy in Sydney, at least I'll know I can take it back to the same shop for warranty, service, repair.
I just found out that Anaconda stocks some Dahon folding bikes. There's an Anaconda about 20mins from me, might call first to make sure they actually have them at that store.
Thanks AJC, appreciate the advice!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Lara. Yes we do have a pair of Aldi folding bikes and the little we have used them, we find them fine. When folded, they fitted across the back of the Navara tub but because of other stuff we carried in the tub they were awkward to remove. We did a 3 month tour of WA and the bikes probably enjoyed the trip looking out the side windows of the canopy as they never got out the whole time. :crazy:

They are easy to assemble and reasonably comfortable to ride (we fitted gel seat covers on each, again from Aldi). The main difference we found is that the handlebars are closer to the seat than a road or mountain bike, giving you a more upright riding stance which, while not uncomfortable, took a bit to get used to.

From memory the bikes were around $130 each and I figured good value. I visited a number of bike shops looking for folding bikes and those that had them wanted upwards of $300. The guy at Annaconda actually recommended the Aldi one as he said his father-in-law had bought one and asked him to assemble and set it up. He seemed to think they were top quality. Aldi must be due to have them again soon I would imagine.

I hope this helps.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks Chartrock,
That's now 2 votes for Aldi. You're right, $130 is a great price compared to other brands.
I think it'll come down to timing, Ill hold out for Aldi but want some for Easter school holidays, will keep the fingers crossed that Aldi comes through in time.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks StrayDingo,
Might be worth waiting for Aldi to bring them out again. Do you remember how much they cost? I just have to get there early from what I've read in other posts about Aldi sales, or Oldie sales as someone else called it!
Really wanted to get a couple before the Easter school holidays, so we'll see what comes up!
Cheers!

Same as those above - $129 in Sept '12
They come with the standard aldi 12 month warranty

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I was at Super Cheap Auto yesterday and they had fold up bike for $179.Sorry I didn't take a good look at them I was in a bit of a hurry :bolt: So I cant comment on the quality.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I was at Super Cheap Auto yesterday and they had fold up bike for $179.Sorry I didn't take a good look at them I was in a bit of a hurry :bolt: So I cant comment on the quality.

Thanks for the heads up Cruza Driver,
For $179 they're certainly worth a look. Cheers!
Lara.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Here's my folding bike update.
I was hoping Aldi would bring their folding bikes back into store before school holidays, but that ain't happening.
So I went on one of my usual google research spree's and have today received my new folding bikes freighted up from Melbourne.
Spent way more $$$ than I wanted too, so don't ask cause I'm not telling!
But am really happy with what we ended up with. They are Tern brand and single speed. I wanted single speed because the less parts/derailers/gears the better, less things to go wrong and brake. We are convinced our 9 year old daughter has super powers and can brake bike gears just by looking at them.
Will try and post up a couple pics tomorrow!

Chartrock, get ready for the folding bike race in January 2014. I'm officially in training! :cheer2: