Flanders 17.56-1 Mods

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
Well the mods begin before our first big trip, a 1/2 lap around Oz. Firstly the toolbox. Very happy with how it's coming along so far. Should fit everything I need to, Weber, toilet, ground cover etc.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
and has a separate compartment for a couple of Jerry cans

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Some really nice engineering work there, looks great, like it belongs, how much does it add to the ball weight? I take it the cyclinders fit in there some where?

Paul

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
Some really nice engineering work there, looks great, like it belongs, how much does it add to the ball weight? I take it the cyclinders fit in there some where?

Paul

G'day Paul. The gas bottles will go in front of the box like the other toolbox mods I've seen from others on here. It's a fairly light aluminium sheet so trying to keep the weight as low as I can. I tow with a disco 4 that has a ball weight of 350kg so hope to keep it under. Will probably have to do some creative packing to keep everything balanced:D

Reactions: 17triton

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Had not thought of that Brad but yes, I think now I will:biggrin:
Seeing I seem to be brimming with suggestions this morning, I am retro fitting a LED strip to the under side of my swing up door. The amount of times I have set up in the dark or need something out of the box or just need a light when backing the car onto the van.....the list of times in the dark is just endless!!

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
Seeing I seem to be brimming with suggestions this morning, I am retro fitting a LED strip to the under side of my swing up door. The amount of times I have set up in the dark or need something out of the box or just need a light when backing the car onto the van.....the list of times in the dark is just endless!!

bugger you Brad. You are gonna cost me a fortune:thumb: another great suggestion. My only problem is I get the van back next weekend and then have a week to get ready for our 12 week trip but 3 of those days i'm at a conference on the Gold Coast. Gonna be some late nights working on the van me thinks

Reactions: blacky

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Well if you do go for lighting it up, then do a google on reed switches. Wonderful inventions that are really just a magnetic switch. 6 bucks from Jaycar. It will allow you to get the light to turn on automatically as soon as the door opens.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Well if you do go for lighting it up, then do a google on reed switches. Wonderful inventions that are really just a magnetic switch. 6 bucks from Jaycar. It will allow you to get the light to turn on automatically as soon as the door opens.

good thinkn 99 !!!!

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne

yep. We use them in my line of work so have heaps of them lying around :D

Brooksy

Jun 28, 2013
Humpty Doo N.T.
Well the mods begin before our first big trip, a 1/2 lap around Oz. Firstly the toolbox. Very happy with how it's coming along so far. Should fit everything I need to, Weber, toilet, ground cover etc. View attachment 15553 View attachment 15554 View attachment 15555 View attachment 15556 and has a separate compartment for a couple of Jerry cans
Hi Flanders
Have recently bought a outback expanda from showroom without extended draw bar . I am looking also to put a toolbox on frontsmiluar to yours and was wondering if you extended your draw bar yourself. Have taken the van to a few fabrication places in darwin but they are a bit baffled on how to tackle this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Brooksy

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
Hi Flanders
Have recently bought a outback expanda from showroom without extended draw bar . I am looking also to put a toolbox on frontsmiluar to yours and was wondering if you extended your draw bar yourself. Have taken the van to a few fabrication places in darwin but they are a bit baffled on how to tackle this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Brooksy

G'day Brooksy. I ordered mine with the extended drawbar so I'm not much help to you sorry. I haven't had to think how you could extend it. I reckon it would be a pretty big job. The only thing I can think of is a box with the gas bottles in it as well. I think there may be a couple of examples in the forum if you keep searching.

Brooksy

Jun 28, 2013
Humpty Doo N.T.
Cheers flanders, we are thinking of putting one on without extending. Really love the look of your toolbox wondering if you could give us some specs. Also what was the reason for separate compartment for gerry's, Thanks Brooksy.

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
Cheers flanders, we are thinking of putting one on without extending. Really love the look of your toolbox wondering if you could give us some specs. Also what was the reason for separate compartment for gerry's, Thanks Brooksy.

No worries Brooksy. I'll get some specs and send them through. The reason for separating the jerry cans was to keep any diesel smell or accidental spillage etc away from the other things I put I there. At this stage I keep the weber baby Q (inside the weber q duffle bag), hoses and buckets, and porta loo in the box along with the jerry cans and a few other bits and pieces in the separate section.