Ensure you get your centre roof rafters!!

Wandering Willies

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Just a quick note to remember to get the centre roof rafters fitted to your van for the roll out awnings.
My dealer forgot to install them and in the last minute pick up and hand over before Christmas I never noticed they where not fitted. (I beleive 16ft get 1 and 17/18ft get 2)
I only thought about them after we went through that large storm in Sydney about 5 weeks ago and the awning roof came down. Water pooled in the middle and bowed down about 500mm before the antiflap kits gave way tearing the awning on both sides and the annexe walls also. It was 2am so we did not see the water start to build up until it went bang and woke us up. In the morning I looked and every van around with it's annexe up had the centre rafters with no damage.
IMG_1030 (640x427).jpgIMG_1029 (640x427).jpgIMG_1028 (640x427).jpgIMG_1031 (640x427).jpg
Since we bought the van in Melbourne and are heading back to Perth it's been hard to get them fitted as every one is booked up. Having them installed in Airlie Beach on tuesday at the dealers expense. Trying to get them to pay for the rest of the repairs will be a different story.

I have been making sure if rain is due to have one end of the awning down 2 holes from the other to ensure water drains well until the rafters are installed.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Sorry to hear of that problem for you.

I thought the centre rafters were an optional extra, or even an after market fit?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Sorry to hear of that problem for you.

I thought the centre rafters were an optional extra, or even an after market fit?

they are unless you have annex ordered/fitted at delivery, we only have the anti flap bars though will be fitting a centre rafter. we don't have an annex never had an issue with water pooling though awning should always be lower one end.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
Thanks guys for the tips, had never considered water pooling.
On an aside, how much wind can the awning withstand? I have no annex, are the anti flap kits worth it? Does it make much of a difference. ? I've always lowered the annex in any kind of
Wind.

Cheers, Glenn

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
We have 1 curved centre roof rafter for our 17 footer.

Despite anti-flap, I would still roll up our awning if strong winds expected. All good if the full annex up as the wind can't get under the awning. We had it up in Mt Gambier and it was fine in strong winds.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I don't have a center rafter and never thought i needed one until i saw this.

If there is a storm a brewin' i usually roll up my awning. I don't have the walls to worry about.

Hopefully the repairs are sorted soon.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I don't have the rafters either and don't think I will ever need them unless I get a full annexe.
I have, however, as others suggest, always lowered one end of the awning one or 2 holes, to
allow the rain the run off the awning, usually to the rear of the van, just to avoid the problem shown above.
I will also roll the awning up if winds are expected overnight, just to be safe.

Cheers,
Matty

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Spoke to Jayco as in process of getting new awning due to hail damage. Dealer said rafters come with awnings minimum 17 feet. 56.1 is 14 feet so not needed. Can buy as optional extra for approx $100. We had some pooling on the corner when annex fitted on last trip. Will see how we go next time, but will consider rafter if it is going to regularly happen.

Wandering Willies

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Can someone take a picture of a roof rafter and tell me how it`s connected. I`ll be getting an annexe made in the next few months and will make sure to ask about the rafters.

Well had the centre rafters fitted finally. Anti flap kit is great stops the flapping and is used to support the annexe walls. Anti flap bars are in the first picture with the black handles.
IMG_1883 (640x427).jpgIMG_1882 (640x427).jpg

I always have the awning down at the back except when the annexe is up, it was a freak storm that hit Sydney on the Monday night (main storm was on Sunday which we had no issues with)

The rafters have taken the movement out of the awning roof now so it does flap any more. Not sure if the 18ft awning is bigger than the 16ft and 17ft.

Cheers

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Looks great WW, I think rafters are the go. If you ever put the long wall on awning the slot will need to be at bottom.

Cheers.