GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
image.jpg

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Hi
I did this mod before we went to ayers rock over the great central road, 1200km of dirt, got hardly any dust in the van, with i could say the same thing for the outside. Its a 139cfpm fan and filter the pumps air into the van, does not matter if you are in a convey etc as the filter stops the dust, also great at slow speed on bad roadsView attachment 19285
Where abouts is that mounted, a great idea that I was thinking of!

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hi
I did this mod before we went to ayers rock over the great central road, 1200km of dirt, got hardly any dust in the van, with i could say the same thing for the outside. Its a 139cfpm fan and filter the pumps air into the van, does not matter if you are in a convey etc as the filter stops the dust, also great at slow speed on bad roadsView attachment 19285
Where did you get it from GregW , it looks like it at the back of the fridge so where have you the outlet fitted ?

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Where did you get it from GregW , it looks like it at the back of the fridge so where have you the outlet fitted ?
Hi,

I cut a 50mm circular hole in the imside wall and put a vent cover over it, i bought the parts from a marine supply shop, i think its called whiteford marine here in wa. The air filter is just a sports filter from supercheap. Just make sure the neck is 50mm etc to fit over the fan.

Reactions: blacky

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi
Thanks Greg, that's an awesome idea! Yet another one for the must-do mods list.
Cheers, S&P

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yeah the positive pressure through the fan is a great idea. Our first Expanda had a positive pressure vent on the roof, didn't someone on here make one fit a later Expanda?

Re the rear bed lid and pop top getting dust in. I have found that I had to adjust the catches a fair way till the sealing rubbers touch and actually seals! This has kept most of the dust out.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi,

I cut a 50mm circular hole in the imside wall and put a vent cover over it, i bought the parts from a marine supply shop, i think its called whiteford marine here in wa. The air filter is just a sports filter from supercheap. Just make sure the neck is 50mm etc to fit over the fan.

Whitworths perhaps? They are a marine suppliers over here?

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Yeah the positive pressure through the fan is a great idea. Our first Expanda had a positive pressure vent on the roof, didn't someone on here make one fit a later Expanda?

Re the rear bed lid and pop top getting dust in. I have found that I had to adjust the catches a fair way till the sealing rubbers touch and actually seals! This has kept most of the dust out.
I fitted a positive pressure hatch (Scupper vent) to mine before the trip to Cape York and it helped dramatically, once I found the leak underneath.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
@GregW thats awesome mate, that is definately on my to-do list. Great thinking using the fridge vent space too - i guess not only is that a neat, tidy spot where it won't be in the way at all, it also will provide extra air flow through the fridge vent space to allow greater heat dispersion. I like it! Did you pinch power from the external 12v power source?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic

Attachments

• 12V Blower.jpg
    12V Blower.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 216

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Thats a great idea with the fan, i would take it just a tiny step further and connect it to the hot wire on the car with a latching relay, that way it only runs when your towing the thing down the road, pull the power straight off the fridge 12v supply circuit, wire a relay so when it "sees" current on this line it closes the relay to send power to the fan, a small switch on the current sensing line could turn it on/off without the switch needing to handle full current load

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Thats a great idea with the fan, i would take it just a tiny step further and connect it to the hot wire on the car with a latching relay, that way it only runs when your towing the thing down the road, pull the power straight off the fridge 12v supply circuit, wire a relay so when it "sees" current on this line it closes the relay to send power to the fan, a small switch on the current sensing line could turn it on/off without the switch needing to handle full current load
Have you seen one of those fridge switches? Couldn't you kill two birds with one stone if you added in the fridge switch to this solution? Or is a fridge switch a latching relay?

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
fridge switch is a tremble switch, while your getting bounced around it closes and lets current thru, stop moving and it opens, a latching relay uses the supply current (the car) to pull the switch closed to allow more current to flow without overloading a switch. I use a latching relay on a lot of "fix me please" jobs with no setek etc. to allow the fridge to run off the car without using a diode (which has a voltage drop) to prevent power feeding back into the car. without some sort of protection a poorly wired car can try to use the van house battery to start the car which can cause high current draw thru wires that can't handle it (so they melt!) also used bridge rectifiers (4 diodes stuck together) to allow the car to charge battery and run fridge off single supply but prevent house battery from running fridge.
note: these thing aren't really relevant to the jayco's as they are sorted out to do this (well ... they should be!) without me wasting brain cells on them.

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
@GregW thats awesome mate, that is definately on my to-do list. Great thinking using the fridge vent space too - i guess not only is that a neat, tidy spot where it won't be in the way at all, it also will provide extra air flow through the fridge vent space to allow greater heat dispersion. I like it! Did you pinch power from the external 12v power source?
Yes i cut it into the power off the car and put in a water proof switch. That way it can only get power from the car when driving