16' Series Draw bar toolbox

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
technically u need more than just ventilation to house the bottles. must be a separate sealed compartment, 25 mm drain in the bottom, identification, correct anchorage.

interesting

I wonder if all the Caravan manufacturers who put the Gas Bottles in the front boot - know about this

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
technically u need more than just ventilation to house the bottles. must be a separate sealed compartment, 25 mm drain in the bottom, identification, correct anchorage.

HMMMMMM interesting. That makes mine 75% compliant! Just need to get the bottles in a separate sealed compartment!!!!!!!!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
My gas bottles are in the front boot, I know there is a hole in the floor for a vent, they are well and truly clamped in position and there is a vertical panel separating them from the rest of the boot although I doubt it would be sealed from it. There is also a sticker saying nothing else is to be stored in there plus a label outside stating LPG storage so I guess they figure they have complied with the regulations.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
My gas bottles are in the front boot, I know there is a hole in the floor for a vent, they are well and truly clamped in position and there is a vertical panel separating them from the rest of the boot although I doubt it would be sealed from it. There is also a sticker saying nothing else is to be stored in there plus a label outside stating LPG storage so I guess they figure they have complied with the regulations.

sounds like what most of us have done when fitting Gas bottles into a front box............

must be a separate sealed compartment

never seen that happen before - new - old - tool box on front - front boot area

terryzarmzoff

Sep 30, 2015
brisbane
Hi guys I will dig up the regulation from the Gas standards when I get a minute. Basically if it's not a stand alone storage compartment the bottle should be isolated from any potential ignition sources and or damage.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hi guys I will dig up the regulation from the Gas standards when I get a minute. Basically if it's not a stand alone storage compartment the bottle should be isolated from any potential ignition sources and or damage.

so if its in a box, on the draw bar
with ventilation
and signage
and drain hole
and isolated from the rest of everything in the box

it should be ok.........?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I isolate mine with awning walls surrounding them... Does that count? No ignition sources stored nearby and the canvas walls prevent damage!

Reactions: Crusty181

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
Just had a box quoted to manufacture. 480 x 480 x 1800. 1.6mm aluminium checker plate .door on struts on the top. Doors at each end and angle welded internally so I can fit slides myself for baby q. $1000.
Was going longer (1860) but by keeping it 1800 I needed one less sheet of aluminium.
480 high allows for a jerry can just. Going to sit the gas bottles in front of the box but waiting to get warranty issues sorted before I fit it.
I am going to bolt it down through the existing brackets welded on for the gas bottles with some rubber between the two dissimilar metals to prevent any corrosion.
Just finalised the box for the van after the initial quote.It's getting made next week.480x480x1800. 3 mm checker plate. Lid on struts on the top. Ended up just putting one side door on with slides for the baby q. The price has gone from $1000 to $1500 but to be fair my neighbour ( aluminium wholesaler) priced it up for me but didn't include the side doors initially. I went for simple lockable hasps on the doors. It also has an internal box frame on the ends for strength.
It's a days work for the fabricator plus materials.
I was unsure whether to have a door at each end but it's not something I will need to access regularly when the van is set up and due to its length it will be easier to access for the top so didn't bother.

Reactions: bigcol

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
Here's mine installed, the frame is ubolted to the A frame. 20151010_162301_resize_20151010_162753.jpg

Reactions: Heidi at

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Just finalised the box for the van after the initial quote.It's getting made next week.480x480x1800. 3 mm checker plate. Lid on struts on the top. Ended up just putting one side door on with slides for the baby q. The price has gone from $1000 to $1500 but to be fair my neighbour ( aluminium wholesaler) priced it up for me but didn't include the side doors initially. I went for simple lockable hasps on the doors. It also has an internal box frame on the ends for strength.
It's a days work for the fabricator plus materials.
I was unsure whether to have a door at each end but it's not something I will need to access regularly when the van is set up and due to its length it will be easier to access for the top so didn't bother.

Hey @youngy73 have you considered the weigth and what's it going on ?

I got made a 2000x480x480 from 2.4 but with slides as well . Loaded up with weber , gen and stuff it was too heavy on the front of the 16:49-3 even with the spare relocated Imo. I never measured the ball but I reckon based on exprience it was around 250kg ball

I know it's harder with the Expandas but this time I went with a 20kg kingchrome gull wing box and lost the slides etc. not as convienent but less wieght.

Reactions: Crusty181

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
I ended up going Boltbox H 50 x D60 x L1500. I got the gas bottles professionally moved and so glad I got extended drawbar. Idefinatelty think side doors would help but u just have to think ahead. Asked for gap so I can clean etc

Attachments

• 20151001_145147.jpg
    20151001_145147.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 410
  • 20151001_145131.jpg
    20151001_145131.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 401

ExPanda6Oz

May 2, 2015
Sawtell, NSW
We were looking for a drawbar toolbox storage solution for months and then I stumbled across a custom made box for sale on this forum.
The beauty with this large storage area is indeed the accessibility. With the bed end down, the contents are 100% accessible due to the slide out draws. I mounted has bottles forward of the box as I have an extended drawbar and enough clearance from tow vehicle at full lock. I had to move the spare to the rear on a drop down so that bed end can fold out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 391
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 412
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 407
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 416

MartyJB

Jul 23, 2015
Perth WA
I ended up going Boltbox H 50 x D60 x L1500. I got the gas bottles professionally moved and so glad I got extended drawbar. Idefinatelty think side doors would help but u just have to think ahead. Asked for gap so I can clean etc
Looks good think I'm leaning towards this option. So what can you fit in? Generator, baby Q, ports potti and a couple of jerry cans? (What I'm hoping to fit in! ) was worried the taper on the box might limit me as hope to fit generator north/south - bolt box tell me they have a full rectangle box now 1500x600x500, but it's not on their website yet. Think the taper looks better though. I've ordered a 2kva Yamaha generator, but waiting for it to arrive so I can confirm box size..
BTW van not here yet either, I have ordered extended draw bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and dagree

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
The work in process. It has morphed into a stealth box due to the fabricator making it out of plane sheet not tread plate . Major stuff up on his part. After some negotiation and getting it powder coated it's nearly ready. its 2.8 mm so not that heavy ( I can easily lift it).
Going to put the gas bottles in front of it and need a stone guard to stop the powder coating getting destroyed but happy with how it looks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 374