16' Series Draw bar toolbox

Lol88

Aug 9, 2015
Queensland
Hi everyone,
I know there is a fair bit of information on toolboxes already but I hve a couple of specific questions. We're looking at putting a toolbox in our standard drawbar to house the baby q, generator, porta potti and hopefully the gas bottles. So are looking for around a 500 x 500 x approx 2000 but are having a lot of trouble finding something suitable and are starting to think it's going to have to be a custom job.

So my questions are:
What are the dimensions of your toolbox?
What brand and where did you get it?
(And if you don't mind saying) how much was it?

Cheers.

WilliamsF1

Mar 25, 2015
Sydney
Hi everyone,
I know there is a fair bit of information on toolboxes already but I hve a couple of specific questions. We're looking at putting a toolbox in our standard drawbar to house the baby q, generator, porta potti and hopefully the gas bottles. So are looking for around a 500 x 500 x approx 2000 but are having a lot of trouble finding something suitable and are starting to think it's going to have to be a custom job.

So my questions are:

Cheers.
Google ---- ATB2055, $480 Moorebank nsw 02 8188 0108

Regards

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi @Lol88 and welcome to the forum......

We have a 17.56.2OB with a standard drawbar and the box dimensions are below..... When turning sharply it hit the corner of the rear bumper on the Prado. I fitted an extended Hayman Reese tow hitch and no more problems! Without modifications I would say 1500mm would be the longest to fit on a standard drawbar!

Dimensions - 1550L x 600W x 500H
Brand - Boltbox Details and suppliers Here
Price - Currently advertised at $499 but I got it for $429 when purchased

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
Hi Lol, I have got the new 16.49. and my measurements from the top of the drawbar to the bottom of the bed lid is 48cm. Im not sure if they 50cm toolbox height would work. Let me know your thoughts as I am in the same plannning stage.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
righto
went out today and measured mine, as you will see from the pic's, it is 490mm from top of drawbar to bottom lip of the front bed
yes, the box is 500 high, but it also sits forward of where the bed door opens.............

IMAG1086.jpg

IMAG1087.jpg

IMAG1088.jpg

seee..................... it fits

Lol88

Aug 9, 2015
Queensland
We did some measuring on the weekend to double check and are happy that size box should fit, we even jackknifed to check that too. Have looked up the Abt 2055 and will get one if those. Shipping is a killer though!

Reactions: bigcol

Lol88

Aug 9, 2015
Queensland
Has anyone reinforced their toolbox? We received our ATB2055 during the week and have had a play with what we want in it (mainly will do the gas bottles, generator, webber or porta potti and other bits and pieces). We are a little concerned about the weight in the unsupported ends as we plan on doing a pretty comprehensive (read a fair bit of off-road) lap of Aus next year.

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
I have put a toolbox on mine that is 1500mm wide on a standard size drawbar. I have moved the gas bottles into the toolbox, which for the most part sit over the pieces that are welded to the side of the drawer bar, where the gas bottles sat originally. I have put a small piece of reinforcement in the middle but I do not plan to put a huge amount of weight in the toolbox anyway. Do not want to add too much otherwise it will add too much ball weight.

David Spencer

Feb 6, 2015
Just a query, dont the gas bottles have to be out in fresh air and not in a toolbox? Im still working on the best toolbox setup for my new 16.49-4 n its doing my head in.

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
Hi everyone,

So my questions are:

Cheers.
Just had a box quoted to manufacture. 480 x 480 x 1800. 1.6mm aluminium checker plate .door on struts on the top. Doors at each end and angle welded internally so I can fit slides myself for baby q. $1000.
Was going longer (1860) but by keeping it 1800 I needed one less sheet of aluminium.
480 high allows for a jerry can just. Going to sit the gas bottles in front of the box but waiting to get warranty issues sorted before I fit it.
I am going to bolt it down through the existing brackets welded on for the gas bottles with some rubber between the two dissimilar metals to prevent any corrosion.

terryzarmzoff

Sep 30, 2015
brisbane
technically u need more than just ventilation to house the bottles. must be a separate sealed compartment, 25 mm drain in the bottom, identification, correct anchorage.

Reactions: Crusty181