Electrical Dometic fridge not working??

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Not as yet - can’t find the plug anywhere! Can’t see it from inside the van and from rear it looks like it goes under the fridge to somewhere but all that’s under the fridge from inside the van is the setec III - no plug/PowerPoint that I can see.
Hi,
it will most probably be in a cupboard on either side of the fridge.

take care
Mike

Reactions: mfexpanda

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
Hi,
have you tried my suggestion to measure the resistance across the active and neutral pins of the power plug with the fridge switched to operate on 240V?

Seems like you are using the wrong manual.
What model fridge have you got. If it is an RM2350, the manual for that fridge clearly states in the section on gas connection that it is connected at the top.

This is shown on these two photos. The connection is on the LHS at the end of the selector switch.

take care
Mike

View attachment 66242View attachment 66243
Awesome pics too thanks.

FYI, my model is RM2553. Manual says gas connection bottom left rear and there are a couple of screw holes to do so but they have chosen to connect up top of fridge.

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
And it’s plugged in and switched on

@mikerezny , your warning should be noted by ALL members. Turning off and/or disconnecting WRONG plug but NOT disconnecting the 240 volt line altogether and you can/will get zapped with possible injury or death!!!!!. Hence the emphasis on not only turning off the power inlet, but absolutely DISCONNECTING the 240 volt IN line altogether!!! Fortunately @Roadhouse had isolated the 240 volt line to van completely.

Reactions: Disco Duck

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Tested the plug and showing a “1” on the meter regardless if selector switch is off or on 240...meter is working as shows continuity when red and black prongs brought together.

Bung selector switch Or thermostat?
Hi,
turning the temperature control to "MAX" will override the thermostat according to the rm2553 manual:

AC operation (230-240 V AC)At “OFF, the contacts in the thermostat are open and the heating elements are off.At “MAX”, the heating element is “ON” continuously. Lowest cabinet and freezer temperatures are obtained at this setting.

take care
Mike

Attachments

• Dometicc RM2453_RM2553_.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 418
Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Tested the plug and showing a “1” on the meter regardless if selector switch is off or on 240...meter is working as shows continuity when red and black prongs brought together.

Bung selector switch Or thermostat?

Have you actually plugged anything into it to see if there's real 240v ??? and I mean the actual power point on the wall, its part of Step 1 of trouble shooting and no one has mentioned it at all................... Something like a lamp or power tool ?? hate to think going to all the work of removing the thing only to find out that the power point itself was dodgy, plug uncoupled from rear or something...... it has happened many times before by folk who always go worst scenario.

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
Have you actually plugged anything into it to see if there's real 240v ??? and I mean the actual power point on the wall, its part of Step 1 of trouble shooting and no one has mentioned it at all................... Something like a lamp or power tool ?? hate to think going to all the work of removing the thing only to find out that the power point itself was dodgy, plug uncoupled from rear or something...... it has happened many times before by folk who always go worst scenario.
Yes power point def working! If only it was that simple!

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
Hi,
turning the temperature control to "MAX" will override the thermostat according to the rm2553 manual:

AC operation (230-240 V AC)At “OFF, the contacts in the thermostat are open and the heating elements are off.At “MAX”, the heating element is “ON” continuously. Lowest cabinet and freezer temperatures are obtained at this setting.

take care
Mike
Thanks Mike. Showed resistence (330ohms) across the 2 plug pins when I switched the selector switch to AC and had thermostat on. Even with thermostat on Max, showed 330ohms. When thermostat off showed “1” on ohm meter. When sector on OFF, showed “1” on ohm meter.

But strangely testing 240v at back of fridge where power cord joins fridge is showing 0 volts. Got me buggered...

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Plug ? broken wire at back of pin............. could easily be a break in a wire in cable from hard bend or crush, depending on plug they can just fail because of a hard crimp on a pin................ check continuity of each wire, if it fails bin and replace with a new one.

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
Plug ? broken wire at back of pin............. could easily be a break in a wire in cable from hard bend or crush, depending on plug they can just fail because of a hard crimp on a pin................ check continuity of each wire, if it fails bin and replace with a new one.
Only thing I haven’t checked is earth on the plug. Maybe that has gone kaput for some reason. Am getting continuity between pos and neg on plug when using selector switch but zero volts where cord attached to fridge. Doesn’t make sense so maybe need to test again. Maybe wasn’t getting the probes in the right spot. Frustrating!!

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Only thing I haven’t checked is earth on the plug. Maybe that has gone kaput for some reason. Am getting continuity between pos and neg on plug when using selector switch but zero volts where cord attached to fridge. Doesn’t make sense so maybe need to test again. Maybe wasn’t getting the probes in the right spot. Frustrating!!
From what I can remember about Dometic fridges, isn't there a 20 amp fuse some where in the AC circuit to switching control?? You would need to follow AC line in and up to the selector switch for starters, then through the 240 volt thermostat to heating element, then follow neg wire to 240 volt plug. There will be a break in the circuit somewhere @Roadhouse . Sounds like there could be a break in the 240 volt cord to fridge where connected. The earth line has nothing to do with current to fridge...only there to provide an easy low resistance path for current in the event that pos/neg line decided to try to electrify the metal cabinet and save you getting zapped, in which case the fuse should blow or ELB to trip. Check 240 volt connections are on the correct terminals too as you do not know what previous owner has done.

Last edited:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
From what I can remember about Dometic fridges, isn't there a 20 amp fuse some where in the AC circuit to switching control?? You would need to follow AC line in and up to the selector switch for starters, then through the 240 volt thermostat to heating element, then follow neg wire to 240 volt plug. There will be a break in the circuit somewhere @Roadhouse .
There is no fuse shown in the circuit diagram shown in the manual for this fridge that I posted earlier.

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
Thanks Mike @mikerezny. Perhaps I am thinking of the DC line. My Thetford definitely has fuse, but cannot remember which line it was protecting.
The fridge was working perfectly for the first year I have owned this up to 3 weeks ago and all looks as it left the factory so no strange things done as far as I can see.

Just weird that plug appears fine across neg and pos pins, power point is fine, but no 240v power across pos and neg wires other end of cord! And yes it’s plugged in and switched on!

anyway the quest continues...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No I mean testing continuity of the power lead itself red probe on fridge end of active and black probe on plug end of active and same to check the neutral and earth, this will show if a break is in an individual wire,

I think I would like it on my bench.

I never saw a fuse in the manual that I posted even earlier than Mike.....

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
No I mean testing continuity of the power lead itself red probe on fridge end of active and black probe on plug end of active and same to check the neutral and earth, this will show if a break is in an individual wire,

I think I would like it on my bench.

I never saw a fuse in the manual that I posted even earlier than Mike.....
I pulled cord off terminals of fridge and held together and tested pins and found a complete circuit through the neg and pos loop, indicating those wires are fine, so will pull earth off and try same.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sell the van and, full ashtray syndrone should be called into play...lol,lol.......