Dodge table in 16.49-2 vans

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Hi guys, new to the site, thanks for the hours of info gathered so far. We have our 16.49-2 ready for pick up in a few weeks. I have ordered it with the table and base plates loose. I found that all of the tables I've seen in this version were designed poorly with the fold down section always on an angle and difficult to operate. With three kids under 6yo clambering around the van it would only be a short matter of time before it gives way. Im still getting supplied the base pieces as the dealer would only give me a $50 discount if they did not supply the table at all....hello! it comes with two base plates that retail for $99 in the jayco shop 20 meters away!

Im thinking that i will use a non permanent table in the van that can fold away and also be used in the annexe to create more space in the van. Anyway I was hoping for some ideas/advice on any others that had made a similar call and what sort of table the installed or are using.

Cheers
Ben

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi and welcome

When we bought our secondhand 2007 16:49-3 expanda the table was not fitted and the owners used one of thoses tables that have the alloy slat top that fold away into a bag. They swore by it, we have since used the table many times not in the van and it is very good, but did install the original table back in the van. The original tables are "tippy" for drinks etc with kids.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Ben we had a 16.49.1 2007 and the table was even worse.It had the dog leg that swivelled around. I was always scared someone would knock it with a hot tea/coffee and burn themselves. I think what you are doing is the best thing. There are some nice lightweight fold out tables at Bunnings and friends removed theirs from their expanda and replaced with a removable table. In our new expanda 17.52.1 we have the dinette... so not a problem. Cheers Jenny

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
I modified our original table in our 16.49.2. Basically I removed the original legs and replaced them with a set of fold up legs, ordered from this company http://www.lifetime.net.au/folding_legs.htm
This way we still retain the original look of the table, but are able to slide the table around and also fold it flat and move it out of the way completely. I screwed a bracket to the front wall base and attach a strap to this bracket and the table leg to stop it moving around when travelling.

The next problem to solve is to stiffen up the the fold down section, it doesn't seem to sit level with the rest of the table, and the kids have a habit of leaning on it. I have used a door panic bolt at the moment, but still need to refine it a bit.

If I get a chance over the weekend, I will try and take some pictures. I did get the idea from the yahoo expandaownersaustralia form originally.

Jason

Reactions: Drizzlingje

richard

Jun 9, 2011
I got my expanda second hand and the previous owner had the same problem with his table. He took his out and replaced the legs with some sturdy ones that fold up underneath. This means that it can then be used outside if you wish. This was great on our last trip as it meant that the 4 young kids were not eating and making a mess inside the van.

Like the idea that Grinner has above on securing it. As the previous owners modified ours from the original he simply made a bracket that used the previous holes, but this only secured one end, the other (the end near the bed) still slipped around and caused marks on the floor and seat. We just used a strap tied back to the under floor lift catch as a tempory measure, but will be screwing a bracket near the front to secure in the future.

Finally do not have the problem that Grinner has with the fold down section as this one was one that swivelled away to one side instead.

Would put a picture up, but computer is having a problem with it. Might try again later.

Reactions: Drizzlingje

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Looks like this folding legs on the current table will be the go initially. I actually got a price from paramount bayswater on one of the folding tables in a duet van...they wanted $500 for the legs alone - no wonder everyone is across the road at jayco!

Bunnings sells 28mm thick pine sheets that are 1800x900 for only $80 clams or so. I will cut this down to a manageable size for my new top. I will probably store the new loose table top etc for resale down the track!

I will flick some pics up when I make the table.....now I just need the van - 6 weeks

Cheers, ben