Do people travel with spare keys for the van?

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
If so, do you attach them to the exterior of the van somewhere? I'm looking for neat, hidden solutions of where I can store a spare set of van keys on the outside of the van. We have on more than one occasion had the #3 child "misplace" the van keys. We've always found them, however I would like to store a spare set on the outside somewhere hidden "just in case". We'll be on the road for 6 months and hoping to free camp around 2/3rds of the time (sometimes in remote places) so I'd like a plan "B". I can't keep them in the car as we often lock the car keys in the van if we go for walks, etc.

Idea's? Surely I'm not the first to want to do this.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Had a great reply via PM - I never even thought people might not want to put the hiding location for all the see on the website. Feel free to do the same and hit me up with a PM if you're more comfortable.

Thanks again for the PM (you know who you are).

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Had a great reply via PM - I never even thought people might not want to put the hiding location for all the see on the website. Feel free to do the same and hit me up with a PM if you're more comfortable.

Thanks again for the PM (you know who you are).
PM sounds interesting. I do understand why they might not want to promote the hiding spot though

Reactions: Macca_75

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
There are a number of Portable Key Safe options that can be used. These are similar to what real estate agents use on houses. They can be attached via a padlock style lock and have a combination lock to open them. Certainly detailing the specifics of the location and specific unit would not be wise on an open forum.
And me putting this here would mean that a person will be still under my van looking for a long time as I have not got one.
Consider weather, water crossings, impact damage, level of security. These devices are not 100% security (but in general nothing is). Pick the level that gives you ease of access if you have an issue, but a level of deterant to stop that method being the way to access your van.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Spare van key in the car, and spare car key in the van.

Plus we use a key safe whenever we leave the van on foot. Originally many years ago it started when we went to the beach so we didnt have to carry (and loose) our van key. Its benefits were wide spread and we quickly started using it all the time. Its in the cupboard when we're moving

The key in the key safe is a spare that lives permanantly in the key safe, and when we are camped and the key safe is not in use it sits on the bench next to the door ready for its constant deployment.

The bonus is any of us can return to the van independantly at any point if necessary. Its been our thing for 10 years +, so its well entrenched behaviour, and everyone knows the drill. Works very well for us.

We lock it on the step in open public view as per the pic. The $hit van locks, plastic (usually open windows), canvas bag hanging off the van. And fly mesh are siginificantly less of a hurdle than trying to extract the key from the key safe. Only a complete moron would try the force the keysafe as the first option. 10 years plus of constant use .... only positive benefits for us

20200120_174632.jpg

Last edited:

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
I have a set and wife has a set and just for extra we have a set at home. So someone should have the right keys we hope.