Discovery Discovery 17-55-5SH towed by Commodore

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
Hello,
Does anyone tow a Discovery with a V6 Commodore? Its within the tow range. I was just wondering how it goes? Anyways dont put too big a downer on it because I pick up the new Discovery next week, and cant afford to upgrade the car yet, I just spent all my money!

Thanks

Lizard.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
What model commy. I would have thought the braked towing capacity would have been a struggle. My ve ute has the sidi donk which is an awesome unit. The older Commy's auto's used to struggle pulling vans.

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
Its a 2003 vy auto, its towing capacity is 2.1 t and I have the right sized tow bar, its pulled my 2005 jayco hawk about 1200 to 1300 kegs give or take like it wasnt even there, the only thing I have ever been told is to press the power button so it doesnt go into overdrive, but in my experience the car has always ran hotter while towing with this button pressed, every time I press it back to normal the temp gauge goes down. On a side note I was given a haymen reece 600lb WDH by my parents who changed to a motor home, will this suit or is to to heavy for the job. It says ball weight to 250 on it but has no min weight.

Thanks

Lizard

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Welcome fishinglizard.

So fishinglizard? Flathead?

Touring model or outback and what options?

Our 17.55.5SH is 2053kg's ATM with a ball weight of 135kg's and that is a touring model with extend A-Frame so ball weight is heavier.

Also what options do you have as this will determine weight?

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
Flathead on plastics, but I always get stuck eating the part with the bones, everyone else gets the better end. Not that many options, awning, cd/mp3/dvd, external speakers, and windup tv aerial, 100 amp/hr battery. I realise its getting pretty close to the limit, was going to go for an expanda, but coudnt see the point getting out of a hawk into something I still have to pull beds out of. Thought I would be careful about whats going in it. The brochure has it at about 1600 kegs. Will upgrade the car at some point, but you cant have everything and we want the discovery more than a car.

Cheers

Lizard

Not an outback

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Flathead on plastics, but I always get stuck eating the part with the bones, everyone else gets the better end. Not that many options, awning, cd/mp3/dvd, external speakers, and windup tv aerial, 100 amp/hr battery. I realise its getting pretty close to the limit, was going to go for an expanda, but coudnt see the point getting out of a hawk into something I
still have to pull beds out of. Thought I would be careful about whats going in it. The brochure has it at about 1600 kegs. Will upgrade the car at some point, but you cant have everything and we want the discovery more than a car.

Cheers

Lizard

Good stuff lizard, I love flathead we fish for them on plastics as well from a boat / kayak but I always fillet them without the bones and make a curry / fish and chips with them!

My weight figures are posted above for our 17.55.5SH so as long as you come in under the 2100 tow capacity you should be right just take it easy and make sure she is nice and level.

If its auto you may need to fit a transmission cooler / fit a bigger one if it has one already to help the transmission cool down.

Very cheap and easy to fit and worth every cent.

Make sure you post some pictures when you pickup and its good to see another 17.55.5SH on the forum!!!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Flathead on plastics, but I always get stuck eating the part with the bones, everyone else gets the better end. Not that many options, awning, cd/mp3/dvd, external speakers, and windup tv aerial, 100 amp/hr battery. I realise its getting pretty close to the limit, was going to go for an expanda, but coudnt see the point getting out of a hawk into something I still have to pull beds out of. Thought I would be careful about whats going in it. The brochure has it at about 1600 kegs. Will upgrade the car at some point, but you cant have everything and we want the discovery more than a car.

Cheers

Lizard

Not an outback

Welcome fishinglizard.
Hmmmm.... Is it of any benefit mentioning the word Mallacoota with a user name like that?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome Lizard, I must of blinked and didn't see your post, it's like that with the amount of new members these days. Congrats on your new van mate! We got some nice flatties the other weekend on plastics, peppered prawn I think....gota love the plastics!

Cheers.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
A belated welcome from me too! This forum is also becoming the home of the perpetually poor fishermen, so you're in good company on a number of fronts.

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
Thanks for the welcomes, I spend a bit of time on forums for different things and this seems to go pretty well. Anyone have any ideas how I get my 420 top ender on the top of the dunny door? And the 40 yamy on the back of the disco? and will the dunny door still tow it all? Might be pushing the friendship a bit! Maybe I should trial it on photo shop see how it looks.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Geez the 40 and 420 would have some weight in them.

I was lucky to get a 3.6 metre on the roof of the pathy and a 15 on the a frame.

What roof load rating have you got?

P.s About to head out and chase lizard in the yak on plastics need to replenish my food stocks and cheese the butcher of more!

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
Picked it up today, no problems 450 k round trip. I thought it towed better than the hawk I used to own, but you could feel it a bit more with a cross wind. It was a pretty hot day, going up hills the temp gauge went from a 1/4 (where it sits all the time) to half way, as soon as you where up the hill it dropped back down to 1/4, that was those hills near woollongong. Stoked with van, and everything seems in order, needs a new door because of a slight crease in the aluminium that the dealer pointed out and organised the fix for already, its that minor I probably wouldnt have bothered with it, but dealer said they dont let that stuff go un noticed and un fixed. IMG_2152.JPGIMG_2153.JPGIMG_2154.JPG