Diesel Heater Tank

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
The charge failed, got the beeping failed battery again.

I'm going to get some jumper leads tomorrow and try charging in parallel and see if I can get it back that way
Good luck!! Can you get a loan of a bigger charger?? With two batteries (one known good and one suspected low/dead), your smaller charger will be up against it trying to get some charge through BOTH batteries of SAME type. But worth a try before throwing in the towel. I have had only temporary success with one battery, and failure on two others. How old is the battery you are trying to recover???

Reactions: garfield28

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
In a side note so filthy! I put silicon on the diesel heater vents so I wouldn't have to screw it in, put tape over the vents to hold while the silicon dried, I pulled the tape off and this is the result View attachment 68415
Yeah @garfield28 , it is only a thin paper covering as some others on this forum have found out. Any strong adhesive can cause that delamination to the cheap surface. Sad lesson to be learnt!

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Good luck!! Can you get a loan of a bigger charger?? With two batteries (one known good and one suspected low/dead), your smaller charger will be up against it trying to get some charge through BOTH batteries of SAME type. But worth a try before throwing in the towel. I have had only temporary success with one battery, and failure on two others. How old is the battery you are trying to recover???
Yeah I will try and get hold of a bigger charger boots. The battery would be about 2 years old as I have had the van for about a year and the guy I bought it from said it was new 12 months earlier.
Yeah @garfield28 , it is only a thin paper covering as some others on this forum have found out. Any strong adhesive can cause that delamination to the cheap surface. Sad lesson to be learnt!
It sucks! Not sure how I can fix or hide it now.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would as Boots said borrow a bigga charger, top of battery not wet so it hasn't been cooked..........................

The wall is knackered, been there done that myself by accident once, pretty well nothing to do to fix it either unless you do some cunning camoflage, I found a nicely shaped piece of aluminium did a great job looking like a kick plate.....................

Silicon on the vent is not a great idea, okay on intake but outlet the heat may not agree with the silicon, it may release vapours and/or get gooey......

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
I would as Boots said borrow a bigga charger, top of battery not wet so it hasn't been cooked..........................

The wall is knackered, been there done that myself by accident once, pretty well nothing to do to fix it either unless you do some cunning camoflage, I found a nicely shaped piece of aluminium did a great job looking like a kick plate.....................

Silicon on the vent is not a great idea, okay on intake but outlet the heat may not agree with the silicon, it may release vapours and/or get gooey......
Good point about the silicon Drover I didn't think of that. If truth be known I didn't know there was a way to screw it on until I dropped the other outlet vent and it came apart and I noticed there were screw holes in it, but by that time I'd siliconed it in the van... Bloody idiot I am I could have saved wrecking the finish on it and would have been so much easier to screw in. I'm thinking now of relocating the vent so I remove the possible fumes from the silicon and maybe covering the whole area with a large air vent in black.

I'm going to try and get a hold of a larger charger, I was wrong about my one it is actually a 6amp charger not a 4amp

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Yeah I will try and get hold of a bigger charger boots. The battery would be about 2 years old as I have had the van for about a year and the guy I bought it from said it was new 12 months earlier.
@garfield28 , it may be only 2 year's old, but it all depends on how previous owner "used, abused or misused" the battery, including left in discharged condition for long periods before recharging. May be too close to the limit of usable life? Now you have to suffer the consequences of previous owner's possible lack of maintenance and care! Also noted that charger was a 6A version which would normally be satisfactory in maintaining charge in battery.

Attachments

• Battery Maintenance.jpg
    Battery Maintenance.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 153

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
@garfield28 , it may be only 2 year's old, but it all depends on how previous owner "used, abused or misused" the battery, including left in discharged condition for long periods before recharging. May be too close to the limit of usable life? Now you have to suffer the consequences of previous owner's possible lack of maintenance and care! Also noted that charger was a 6A version which would normally be satisfactory in maintaining charge in battery.
Yeah I'm not sure how it was looked after by the old owner and I cannot remember it being connected to power when I originally turned up to first view it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Numerous things can happen to the battery, for it to get down to that sort of voltage, tends to point to me that if charger was inoperative/disconnected there must be a very low draw on the system something like an alarm, even the radio when off can be in a stand by mode, that sort of drain will pull a battery down till near dead and not be noticed... TV or light not so much though an LED light will draw down to near zilch........... My van has a constant draw of about .2 amp as I have a couple of gas detectors and my solar reg drawing power, only miniscule but it adds up, mind if if gets below 11.? v it will shut down power..............................

#1 see if battery will charge, if so get a load test done at battery shop.. if not ditch it and get another, depending on camping style as to capacity but 100ah minimum I would suggest.

Another question..............
Is the Supercheap charger just temporary to try and charge the battery or is it there full time ??? I ask as the van should have a system to charge the battery and supply 12v to van when plugged into 240 without a battery in line....................... I sense a complication.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
HEATER STUFF:

On the heater subject, my heater I used a square plastic vent for the air intake and the swivel jobs for outlets, a nice alloy plate covering the wall marks and vent mounted to that would sort it out I reckon ............. make sure nothing is within about 150mm at least of the heater or pipes, they get bluddy hot.... mine has its own cupboard, the unit itself draws air in from the cupboard space which has the intake vent in the wall, stops any noise from air draw, some set ups can sound like a vacuum cleaner hose or a vehicle turbo... I also increased the size of the furnace air intake underneath from its 25mm pipe to a 40mm PVC pipe with a mesh filter on end so it doesn't suck in any bugs or things, originally it sounded like a jets APU howling away.

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Numerous things can happen to the battery, for it to get down to that sort of voltage, tends to point to me that if charger was inoperative/disconnected there must be a very low draw on the system something like an alarm, even the radio when off can be in a stand by mode, that sort of drain will pull a battery down till near dead and not be noticed... TV or light not so much though an LED light will draw down to near zilch........... My van has a constant draw of about .2 amp as I have a couple of gas detectors and my solar reg drawing power, only miniscule but it adds up, mind if if gets below 11.? v it will shut down power..............................

#1 see if battery will charge, if so get a load test done at battery shop.. if not ditch it and get another, depending on camping style as to capacity but 100ah minimum I would suggest.

Another question..............
Is the Supercheap charger just temporary to try and charge the battery or is it there full time ??? I ask as the van should have a system to charge the battery and supply 12v to van when plugged into 240 without a battery in line....................... I sense a complication.
It is my fault for the battery Drover. The power cord I had plugged into the van was probably bumped by the kids who knows how long ago, but it wasn't getting any charge to the battery because of it. Up till then the battery wasn't used much but seem to always be charged up while left there, and it seemed pretty good when we were away a for a few nights using a little while ago.

When I plug the van into 240v power, my charger charges the battery and I can turn my battery switch on and have access to 12v power and my battery is being charged. Is that what you mean?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When I plug the van into 240v power, my charger charges the battery and I can turn my battery switch on and have access to 12v power and my battery is being charged. Is that what you mean?

I assume your lights are 12v so when plugged into 240 with battery offline ie: disconnected do your lights work ???

What I'm getting at do you have a Setec unit in your van, be a black panel down near the floor with a light switch as a battery switch near it ??? It will supply 12v power when plugged into 240v and it is the fused 12v power management system, it also charges the battery and distributes 12v when only on the battery............................. if the charger section has failed then that would explain a bench charger fitted.............. it may have been modified a lot.

It looks like this ......................
1655356299049.png

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
I assume your lights are 12v so when plugged into 240 with battery offline ie: disconnected do your lights work ???

What I'm getting at do you have a Setec unit in your van, be a black panel down near the floor with a light switch as a battery switch near it ??? It will supply 12v power when plugged into 240v and it is the fused 12v power management system, it also charges the battery and distributes 12v when only on the battery............................. if the charger section has failed then that would explain a bench charger fitted.............. it may have been modified a lot.

It looks like this ......................View attachment 68422
Yeah I have that setec box Drover but my battery doesn't charger through it. Pretty sure the guy I bought the van off either said it didn't work, or he preferred his own charger but I'm pretty sure the way I got it the setec isn't connected to the battery for charging. I'm not sure how I could investigate and see if it works or how to connect it to it if it has just been disabled by the previous owner.

As it is now though I can have the 12v turning the lights etc on while connected to 240v when I switch the switch to battery on.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Yeah I have that setec box Drover but my battery doesn't charger through it. Pretty sure the guy I bought the van off either said it didn't work, or he preferred his own charger but I'm pretty sure the way I got it the setec isn't connected to the battery for charging. I'm not sure how I could investigate and see if it works or how to connect it to it if it has just been disabled by the previous owner.

As it is now though I can have the 12v turning the lights etc on while connected to 240v when I switch the switch to battery on.
If the Setec is turned off or NOT connected to the 240v GPO, there will be no power to the internal transformer and rectifier within the unit itself to provide current to charge battery. To see if the Setec is working, disconnect your battery charger first and see if there are any wires coming from Setec connected to battery. If not, check that these loose wires have not shorted out. These wires should be connected to the POS and NEG of battery. Then connect the Setec with the 3 pin plug to a KNOWN live 240v outlet. If Setec working, two lights should come on on the front of unit. (If unit is a Setec ST20 Series III. From memory, if an earlier Series II model, only red light indicating 240 volt power available will light up). Red indicates 240v power available (why you can operate without battery while on 240v power) and a GREEN light which indicates Battery power available. As @Drover said, when 240v power connected, the Setec will supply power to 12 volt accessories AND supply current from internal transformer/rectifier to charge battery. Max load including battery charging and lights/accessories is 20 Amps. I believe @Drover has come up with why there are problems because of unknown or bad modifications that you were not aware of.

Last edited:

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
If the Setec is turned off or NOT connected to the 240v GPO, there will be no power to the internal transformer and rectifier within the unit itself to provide current to charge battery. To see if the Setec is working, disconnect your battery charger first and see if there are any wires coming from Setec connected to battery. If not, check that these loose wires have not shorted out. These wires should be connected to the POS and NEG of battery. Then connect the Setec with the 3 pin plug to a KNOWN live 240v outlet. If Setec working, two lights should come on on the front of unit. (If unit is a Setec ST20 Series III. From memory, if an earlier Series II model, only red light indicating 240 volt power available will light up). Red indicates 240v power available (why you can operate without battery while on 240v power) and a GREEN light which indicates Battery power available. As @Drover said, when 240v power connected, the Setec will supply power to 12 volt accessories AND supply current from internal transformer/rectifier to charge battery. Max load including battery charging and lights/accessories is 20 Amps. I believe @Drover has come up with why there are problems because of unknown or bad modifications that you were not aware of.
Cheers for the instructions boots. I'll have a look at it tomorrow when I get home from work if I get home early enough, otherwise I'll do it on Saturday and report back.
Thanks mate

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Hi men,

Can report back that last night I put the voltmeter on the dead battery that was showing as faulty, and it was less than 4 volts charge in it. I then did as suggested and tried charging with the assistance of another battery in parallel. I was able to get a charger that was bigger than my 6amp one, so I hooked the batteries up in parallel and could see it was accepting charger through the good battery which was around 12.25 volts I think, so I left it for about an hour and I disconnected the charger and the other battery and tested to see that it climbed to nearly 8 volts. It was late when I got home from work and set it up so it was around 9.30 so I figured I'd leave it charging in parallel over night. I got away early today so have come home and disconnected the second battery and the charger. I tested the volts and it was at nearly 12 volts. I have now connected my 6amp smart charger, gone inside made a coffee and come back out and it has got to stage 4 which is absorb. Figured I will leave it on and come back in an hour and check it to see if it has climbed any stages.

What do you reckon? I think seeing it was on charge parallel for say around 18 hours nearly 12 volts would seem maybe it isn't any good ya think?

I plan to check out the setec tomorrow following the instructions given above as I don't want to muck around with the rest of the mess I have in here at present. Can anyone tell me how many amp charger the setec one is and whether or not they are any good/better to use?

Thanks
Geoff

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi men,

Can report back that last night I put the voltmeter on the dead battery that was showing as faulty, and it was less than 4 volts charge in it. I then did as suggested and tried charging with the assistance of another battery in parallel. I was able to get a charger that was bigger than my 6amp one, so I hooked the batteries up in parallel and could see it was accepting charger through the good battery which was around 12.25 volts I think, so I left it for about an hour and I disconnected the charger and the other battery and tested to see that it climbed to nearly 8 volts. It was late when I got home from work and set it up so it was around 9.30 so I figured I'd leave it charging in parallel over night. I got away early today so have come home and disconnected the second battery and the charger. I tested the volts and it was at nearly 12 volts. I have now connected my 6amp smart charger, gone inside made a coffee and come back out and it has got to stage 4 which is absorb. Figured I will leave it on and come back in an hour and check it to see if it has climbed any stages.

What do you reckon? I think seeing it was on charge parallel for say around 18 hours nearly 12 volts would seem maybe it isn't any good ya think?

I plan to check out the setec tomorrow following the instructions given above as I don't want to muck around with the rest of the mess I have in here at present. Can anyone tell me how many amp charger the setec one is and whether or not they are any good/better to use?

Thanks
Geoff
Hi @garfield28 , progress at last....maybe. The real test is - will it HOLD a charge?? Suggest leave it on your "smart charger" for 48 hours, before turning it off. Voltage should be 12.8 or better after charger disconnected for a short time. Then rest for 4 or 5 hours (no load), then test battery voltage with a light load applied - say 21 watt bulb or similar. If voltage holds or slowly drops to 12.3 or 12.4 after 5 minutes, you are in business!! If voltage falls steadily to less than 11.8 volts, replace battery.

As far as the Setec charging is concerned, at best it can be said it is a "safe" charger, and has a max charge voltage of 14.0 volts, barely suitable for GEL batteries which like about 14.4 volts. Not really suitable to get the best out of AGMs as they like about 14.7 volts. But very suitable for maintaining a battery as has FLOAT voltage of 13.8 volts and also has a "store" voltage of 13.2 volts for a period every 24 hours. This prevents corrosion of the positive plates if left on the higher Float voltage of 13.8 for long periods. I use my "smart" charger to get my van battery right up to speed (properly fully charged) and then connect van up to 240v and Setec can maintain if required.
The Setec ST20 Series III has a max output rate of 20 amps which includes power for any 12 volt accessories on at the time. However charging rate is limited to only 10 amps. Full specs can be seen by looking up details on Setec ST20 Series III.

Attachments

• AGM Battery Voltage-Charging_0001.jpg
    AGM Battery Voltage-Charging_0001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
  • AGM Battery Voltage-Charging_0002.jpg
    AGM Battery Voltage-Charging_0002.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 134
  • battery charging stages.jpg
    battery charging stages.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Thanks the detailed info Boots.

I got sidetracked and had to duck out for a bit, I have come back to the dreaded bipping sound and the light on faulty battery again. I guess she is stuffed

I put the multimeter on it and after getting charged in parallel all night and then have my smart charger on it for a few hours it was showing 11.85 volts which seems to be what it won't go past.... It did come up from less than 4 volts originally though so it nearly got there. Looks like I'm up for a new battery, more to bloody we'll spend

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks the detailed info Boots.

I got sidetracked and had to duck out for a bit, I have come back to the dreaded bipping sound and the light on faulty battery again. I guess she is stuffed

I put the multimeter on it and after getting charged in parallel all night and then have my smart charger on it for a few hours it was showing 11.85 volts which seems to be what it won't go past.... It did come up from less than 4 volts originally though so it nearly got there. Looks like I'm up for a new battery, more to bloody we'll spend
Good try, but probably has an internal short between two plates. Sometimes caused by too much of a build up of sulphation on plates causing them to swell and short out. Keen to hear why Setec not connected for charging.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As they say .................................. happens, bloody pain.............. I'm wanting to get 2 of these jiggers but something keeps eating my money so my old GELS need to keep working.

1655499034367.png
..135ah AGM

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Good try, but probably has an internal short between two plates. Sometimes caused by too much of a build up of sulphation on plates causing them to swell and short out. Keen to hear why Setec not connected for charging.
Thanks for the advice though boots was heaps appreciated.

I'll have to have a good look at the setec and make sure it isn't connected but I'm a 1000% sure he said he disconnected it.

As they say .................................. happens, bloody pain.............. I'm wanting to get 2 of these jiggers but something keeps eating my money so my old GELS need to keep working.

View attachment 68429..135ah AGM
Thanks for you advice to Drover, also heaps appreciated mate.

How much is that battery Drover? I'd love lithium myself but I cannot cough up that sort of money, and like you said at the end of the day AGM's get the job done