Diesel Heater Tank

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
As they say .................................. happens, bloody pain.............. I'm wanting to get 2 of these jiggers but something keeps eating my money so my old GELS need to keep working.

View attachment 68429..135ah AGM
A good choice as it seems to have all the requirements of a good AGM plus a great warranty. And a reliable seller on Ebay.

Reactions: garfield28

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I'll have to look at few now
Currently now at nearly $300.00! Have gone up (like everything else!!!). Last time I looked was $283.00 and possible discount. Have a look at the alternative I bought last year, mainly on the basis that Sunyee are distributing it. Sunyee are one of the top in solar generation etc, so took a chance to try to save some money. Your call.... I paid full price back then, now cheaper with huge discount of 20%. Damn!!!!!!!

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
For what it's worth I have 3 of these 140 amp Giant Power batteries from the Sunshine Coast...delivered free to the door. $319.00 currently, though did buy one for $289.00 on special last year.

I have 2 in the van and 1 as an aux for the tug. They are still going good after a couple of years, I'd expect to get a few more years yet.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
For what it's worth I have 3 of these 140 amp Giant Power batteries from the Sunshine Coast...delivered free to the door. $319.00 currently, though did buy one for $289.00 on special last year.

I have 2 in the van and 1 as an aux for the tug. They are still going good after a couple of years, I'd expect to get a few more years yet.
I hear you @Hitting the road . The Giant brand 140ah was on my short list, one of three brands. Has all the good traits for an AGM - weight and advertised build quality. 12 month replacement and then a further 4 years pro rata , although you have to pay transport fees and a few hoops to jump through. But a lot better than a lot of others.
At the time, I chanced my hand with Sunyee and have $50.00 odd more in my hand. But Currently only $207.00 with 20% discount if bought before 26th June. For that sort of money, I would take my chances - the gambler in me!!!

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
The weight can be an issue...at pushing 33kg each the two in my van would be very close to 66kg with the extra cabling. The ole Lithium vs AGM question...I'd like to upgrade to an all lithium setup, but like you Drover, my wallet has the right answer every time...

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Currently now at nearly $300.00! Have gone up (like everything else!!!). Last time I looked was $283.00 and possible discount. Have a look at the alternative I bought last year, mainly on the basis that Sunyee are distributing it. Sunyee are one of the top in solar generation etc, so took a chance to try to save some money. Your call.... I paid full price back then, now cheaper with huge discount of 20%. Damn!!!!!!!

I will have a look Boots, thanks mate.

Will suss these out too, thanks HTR
The weight can be an issue...at pushing 33kg each the two in my van would be very close to 66kg with the extra cabling. The ole Lithium vs AGM question...I'd like to upgrade to an all lithium setup, but like you Drover, my wallet has the right answer every time...
Yeah we cop that with AGM I guess, I'd love lithium also but damn they are so pricey. I look at the setups on all of these families getting around Aus getting on youtube and the prices are incredible, but I guess if I was doing the big lap I could justify it.

Reactions: Hitting the road

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think my 2 GELs hit around 65kgs................... just getting a bit long in the tooth, they have got a lot of use though more so than most each year for sure, I really couldn't justify some of the money folk have thrown at their set ups, a lot of the time its for bragging rights, brand badge or what some salesman told them they needed.... I have decided to wait till they go legs up then replace them and if I'm on the road van park it till the mail truck arrives...

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
I think my 2 GELs hit around 65kgs................... just getting a bit long in the tooth, they have got a lot of use though more so than most each year for sure, I really couldn't justify some of the money folk have thrown at their set ups, a lot of the time its for bragging rights, brand badge or what some salesman told them they needed.... I have decided to wait till they go legs up then replace them and if I'm on the road van park it till the mail truck arrives...

Yep...me too, when the batteries die time to consider what to do. I wonder sometimes whether or not all that expense is really necessary. When buying these new vans with all the bells and whistles, several solar panels. huge inverters, this charger and that charger fitted...a cupboard full of electronics...air bag suspension etc etc...many would have $30k worth of additions that you can't even see...that as you wrote Drover...are not much more than bragging rights...."mines bigger than yours!"

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and Im always amazed at those that turn their van or car into a mobile accessories catalogue, spend a fortune on it then sell it all in 2 or 3 years, I have never seen the justification really...... my van runs up normally between 12 to 16K kms a year, the tug will easily do 35K minimum so whatever gets added is always used and never just bling, can't afford the money or the weight actually.... so the big seller for the Lithiums is certainly weight.

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
I seriously would love to be doing even 5k kms a year...so far this year have traveled a miserable 1200kms and spent 11 nights in the van. Though we have done some other travel without the van...

Still, I am selling my business so with a bit of luck those numbers will change big time very soon when I don't have to stress daily over emails and mobile coverage.

Just a damned shame that the price of fuel on top of everything else has gone through the roof...that along with months of crappy weather!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I seriously would love to be doing even 5k kms a year...so far this year have traveled a miserable 1200kms and spent 11 nights in the van. Though we have done some other travel without the van...

Still, I am selling my business so with a bit of luck those numbers will change big time very soon when I don't have to stress daily over emails and mobile coverage.

Just a damned shame that the price of fuel on top of everything else has gone through the roof...that along with months of crappy weather!

We got back from our Xmas run just as the floods kicked in around SEQ, jumped the border gate at Texas waving our passes and had to rip thru Brissie as other roads blocked and managed to get home before the Mary came up and blocked us in on the wrong side of Gympie, so that was 680km from new years plus a easter run to Cabarlah another 600km, that was to mind daughters Zoo and check a van mod, 1280 this year, crappy weather for most part and now fuel prices with our next chance to roll early Sept, looking at the bright side the money we would have spent on fuel has been spent on house stuff, also saved on vehicle servicing, only one service this year when I should have done 2 by now.............

Reactions: garfield28 and BJM

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
To stay on subject, the diesel tank for our diesel heater is in the front boot of the van at the opposite side to the gas bottles...

...next trip for us will be in 3 weeks up to Burrum Heads for 3 nights to catch up with friends up from NSW....then on to Eco Camp at 1770 for another 4 nights with same friends, must say looking forward to blowing out the cob webs.

Anybody here stayed at the Eco camp at 1770, if so what was it like? It looks ok and the owners seem quite helpful on the phone.

First week in August will be a 5 day stay up at the Noosa North Shore Park, I want to check out the beach camping areas again up past Teewah as I plan to drag the Jayco up there later in the year when it's warmer for a week or so on the beach....I really would like to make that a regular short trip away going forward.
Noosa is only an hour and a half drive from home, so even to go up past Teewah on the beach would be less than a 3 hour journey, so much more time relaxing, fishing and "hydrating" than driving.

The last week of August is our annual trip to Fraser Island, no van in tow for that one! The run over Indian Head would be too hard as well as the run up to Champagne Pools parking followed by the narrow tracks around Orchid being too risky for damages imo In the previous couple of years we took our camper trailer...this year it's back to basics in the tent.

Then between returning from Fraser and the end of the year nothing in the calendar...yet.