Diesel Guys help

Jags73

Mar 25, 2016
Angle Vale SA
Engine & turbo cool down time depends on were I'm at at the time, say slowing down quietly into a town, the turbo & engine is already cooling down, then pull up at a servo & give it a minute or two before switching of.
If I pulled up at a waystop, I would let the engine idle for a min of about 5 minutes before turning of.
I,ve never worried about turbo timers as I have a look around the vehicle for any problems before turning of engine.
Done the same with semis & any other construction equipment.

I just did my 100 series Cruiser 380,000 k service, in that I checked the turbo for oil bypass, end float & radial end float, it was like it was brand new, so in that I must be treating it right

Last edited:

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Keep in mind the alloys used in building engines/turbos are greatly improved over past materials and can handle being shut off and left to cool without the traditional wind down period.

Interestingly the work Pajero (2014) wont start until glow plug light goes out (turn key and wait then finish turning key to start) and 200 series wont start either but it does the wait process electronically. That is, push the starter button and it then waits for the glow plug to be ready, then starts.

Same process just feels more modern....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Turn key on, wait till dash lights go out and fire up, with petrol or diesel let it run for a min or 2 to make sure the oil gets moving everywhere then go for it, don't go peddle to the metal until temp gets up, more important is to let the turbo cool down when stopping, if your just tootling around town then you can shut down pretty well straight away but if you have been fanging along, towing or running up a big hill let the engine run for a minute or so to let the turbo cool down a bit.................if really hot give it 4 mins.................this is because the turbo is usually oil cooled and if you shut down straight away, no oil gets to turbo and it does not like it, it's always better to let the engine run for a little bit anyway can't hurt and you get into a habit which may extend the engine life................................a turbo timer will alleviate this but on some engines the computer causes problems, places like Diesel Care do a good job.

The turbo will keep spinning and this spinning at very high temps with no oil flow does not do the bearings much good and they will crap out quickly..........not a great lover of timers as once I jumped out of the truck with keys in pocket then found I was at wrong pplace, jumped back in, engine still running and took off, shut down at next intersection....not a good look as you try to find keys.

Reactions: bigcol and Jags73

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
I have a Mk2 Ranger and see the light most mornings. It is in the bottom right hand corner of the dash. Can't find a pic online and too cold to go out side now, but it is just to the right of the seat belt reminder 4933400_2015-ford-ranger-mkii-pricing-announced_t342a6ea9.jpg
After a few seconds it always goes out. Don't see if much during the day, but does appear in the evening leaving work. Not sure if it is an issue with the Ranger, but if I forgot to wait for it to go out in my Prado, it would cough and take a few extra turns to start.

Not sure if you sorted this one benmat?? If you are referring to the snow flake on the road icon (left of the odo reading) it is to warn you of icy conditions, comes on below 5 degC, had me puzzled on morning heading bush?? pulled up in the next town and read the book. I thought it was some sort of particulate filter warning at first.

Cheers Max.

Reactions: dagree and Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
one of the great advantages of an EGT gauge
if I am fanging it along at 100kms, towing, the EGTs will be about 350*
as soon as you start to slow down, you can see the EGT's drop to below 200* - tis ok to turn off

same as when I start up in the morning, glow twice (force of habit from Landcruiser 2H) then start
dont move until oil pressure is up......

Reactions: dagree and Drover