Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
I thought I'd share a couple more little jobs that I've done on the Expanda in the last week or so.

The last time I switched between the two gas bottles the tap was a bit tight to move. I then noticed it was leaking so when at Jayco yesterday I remembered to grab one. He mentioned its a common problem for the seal to perish over time.
006%202_zpsg56xv7dx.jpg
Mate, I think lm in the same boat re the gas selection switch. Went to test van function yesterday as we set off for long w'end, noticed same. Might stop in at big green shed in the morning see if they have them. Could all ways pit stop at Ballarat Jayco as we go past as last resort, tool bag all ways with me. Pace.

Reactions: cruza driver

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
It can't go on the Patrol? I use to have it on the spare wheel of the Cruiser.

it started life on the wheel on the back of the Patrol, but was a pain to attach, never got used as a rubbish bin or wet gear holder

so I thought to myself
"self, why not what you have seen on Expandasdownunder, with it on the rear of the Van for putting hoses and power leads into..........."

so I tried that

and didnt like the look of it.........(trailer trash-ish)

so both of the ones I have are sitting in a pile with other parts from "great ideas" that never quite lived up to my vision............

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Mate, I think lm in the same boat re the gas selection switch. Went to test van function yesterday as we set off for long w'end, noticed same. Might stop in at big green shed in the morning see if they have them. Could all ways pit stop at Ballarat Jayco as we go past as last resort, tool bag all ways with me. Pace.

good on you @Pace & @cruza driver , good pickup............
I had 2 bottles on my Flamingo, but never had a problem with that "switch", although sounds like a good idea to check them

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well the Expanda got a little bling mod today. :mullet:

With @Bushman offering a free "Outback" sticker to anyone on the forum and seeing no one took up the offer I thought I would clear some draw space at the Bushman Palace and grab it 8-)
014%202_zpsehvkyejj.jpg

015%202_zpse9izv2hm.jpg

Since the back of the Expanda got some new bling I thought I better do some at the front to balance it out..........so a new jockey wheel fitted the bill. I don't need 2 hands to wind it up and down now :laugh:
013%202_zpsuc0waexw.jpg

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
The OE tyres on the Expanda are approaching 4.5 years old so I thought I might replace them before they let me down (no pun intended :D) They still have plenty of tread and have never had a puncture. They have covered their far share of Outback roads without issue too. Another reason for the change was I wanted some L/T tyres for there better construction.

I originally wanted to replace them with BFG A/T's but after doing a bit of research they were only rated to 900kg. I was disappointed as this was my 1st choice :( This was not rated high enough as I required 1000kg or better for the 16.49-3

So I did a bit more research and thought about the Bridgestone 697's that I have fitted on our Pajero. Checking their load rating resulted in a 1060kg capacity. This was ample for the 16 and a lot more than the BFG A/T's :nod: The only downside was no white writing on the tyres............something I'll have to get use to o_O They have a nice deep tread pattern too.

View attachment 32299 View attachment 32300 View attachment 32301
I have same tyres on the prado made them put the white letters on the inside so I don't see it

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
A few weekends ago we had the pleasure of @numbez and his family join us for some summer sun at Jamieson Caravan Park.

Not many pics sorry because of the following
1. Swimming in the river
2. Swimming in the pool
3. Having lots of laughs
4. Sharing our travel stories
5. Enjoying some ice cold ales
6. And having a good old catch up

20160207_072808_zpsxzetcdij_edit_1455699161680_zpsi2k6gzw1_edit_1455699301070_zpst2pzzkiv.jpg

20160207_072747_zpssbmksetq.jpg

Last edited:

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
A few weekends ago we had the pleasure of @numbez and his family join us for some summer sun at Jamieson Caravan Park.

Not many pics sorry because of the following
1. Swimming in the river
2. Swimming in the pool
3. Having lots of laughs
4. Sharing a our travel stories
5. Enjoying some ice cold ales
6. And having a good old catch up

I think points 1 - 6 just about cover it @cruza driver. Thanks again for showing us around this relaxing little town and sharing your stories of the towns history and heritage. Such a great part of the world so close to Melbourne with so much to offer. Next time we might have some time for a bit more exploring.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I think points 1 - 6 just about cover it @cruza driver. Thanks again for showing us around this relaxing little town and sharing your stories of the towns history and heritage. Such a great part of the world so close to Melbourne with so much to offer. Next time we might have some time for a bit more exploring.
For sure mate, lots of exploring to do :)

Reactions: bigcol and 17triton

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Last year we did a 10 week trip up through the centre across the west along the Gibb then south to Perth. It was then along the bottom for home. I didn't do a full trip report but we has an awesome time.

Today we just got back from Cairns. We went up through outback NSW into Qld and revisited some places from previous trips before making our way to Cairns. We did day trips to the Daintree, Port Douglas, Mossman Gorge,Atherton Tablelands, and the Kurandra Scenic Railway and cable car ride.

Home down along the coast to Sarina south of Mackay and headed back inland and southbound to Lightning Ridge and home.

It was a great trip with no issues once again, I replaced the wheel bearings etc just before leaving as I do on every major trip.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Thanks for the last post. We are on our way north to Cairns. Seem to be following in your foot steps.

Is your Outback the beam axle type or independent suspension? How did it handle the GRR? We are planning to do that next year.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks for the last post. We are on our way north to Cairns. Seem to be following in your foot steps.

Is your Outback the beam axle type or independent suspension? How did it handle the GRR? We are planning to do that next year.
G'day @Dove its a beam axle mate, no issues at all not even a loose screw etc. Just slowed down and took it all in :thumb:
The van has also done the Oodnadatta and Painted Desert plus long stretches of corrugations through outback Qld.

Have a safe trip to Cairns its a beautiful part of the country.