Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Always laugh at the Jeep jokes, this year marks my 50 years of FWDing, (well licenced anyway) real stuff not cafe car parkers and have never had a winch fitted, carried a Tirfor, carried a big roll of Target towing cable about 100mts for sling shots with a couple of snatch blocks, winches are just very restrictive in tight situations.... something one rarely see's in these set up FWD videos....................

We look forward to the new rig though, but Bruce, don't be turned by the bling, look beyond the glitter............ You have a proper FWD don't get sucked into the world of OFF ROAD CARAVAN BS .................................. ;);) ........... I know you will choose wisely ............
This run I have seen some $200,000 rigs thats don't even venture to the side of the road, lots of laughs, they should have given me their money and stayed in hotels.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Always laugh at the Jeep jokes, this year marks my 50 years of FWDing, (well licenced anyway) real stuff not cafe car parkers and have never had a winch fitted, carried a Tirfor, carried a big roll of Target towing cable about 100mts for sling shots with a couple of snatch blocks, winches are just very restrictive in tight situations.... something one rarely see's in these set up FWD videos....................

We look forward to the new rig though, but Bruce, don't be turned by the bling, look beyond the glitter............ You have a proper FWD don't get sucked into the world of OFF ROAD CARAVAN BS .................................. ;);) ........... I know you will choose wisely ............
This run I have seen some $200,000 rigs thats don't even venture to the side of the road, lots of laughs, they should have given me their money and stayed in hotels.
I've still got my Tirfor, the giant 532 Tirfor not the tiny pooncy 516 most chose. Mine has a 32t 5/8 cable. I manage to "acquire" 30odd mtrs of swing stage cabling. Do you remember the Brano?? I've used the Tirfor for many things over the years including tearing out quite a few tree stumps. Ripped out some whopper to, all dependant on finding an even bigger anchor point. I used to use the Tiurfor to pull my bogged car up onto 8mm mud chains (still got them to). Very effective if not a little bit filthy.

DSCN3724 - Copy.JPG

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
T32 only way to go, work on one recovery with them and you soon learn why its best to leave it in its bag with all the other gear and not get bogged in the first place ................ Getting up a hill sling shot the first choice, easier even if in 2 stages, bring out the tirfors then we all knew long day ahead......have even done a double snatch strap with a wire and snatch block around a bend once........ proved the 2ton snatch block could carry higher load..... wish we did pics of the set up, was awsome to see, scary to do... had a herc alloy chain looped over the snatch in case it broke...... would hate to try it with these nancy FWDs with no chassis nowadays, well you wouldn't really..................
Stumps like that I have a magic potion I make to remove them but maybe not in that situation....

So I reckon a boat trailer with roof top house would be my dream next set up, nice truck up front, something Mrs D would not approve of now, she reckons been there done that.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Apparantly this guy is revered as the current day 4wd Jesus, with almost half a million fanboys in tow. He seems to know his stuff tho with his fact based independant assessment.

Screenshot_20220323-090802_Facebook.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Can't argue with that, only one real FWD left now and thats is The Troopy, suspension, chassis and style wins it hands down............ agree with most of his stuff except for his ideas on a Tub beats a Tray back, nah no way............. since I don't do the hard stuff anymore the Yuppie Truck suits me now....................