QLD cressbrook dam

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
hoping to do a quick getaway for a week or so to Cressbrook dam between Esk and Hampton ,some canoe fishing , redclaw trapping maybe a bucket of snubnose gar a few yellow belly and a bass or two , anybody been there lateley?? (its in queensland between Wivanhoe Dam and Crows Nest near Toowoomba ) looks nice on on google searches , we used to go to Wivanhoe Dam at Lumley Hill but they have moved the van sites away from the waters edge and jacked the price up to caravan park prices for a campground, funny how all the prices went up during covid but never came down , bit like fuel prices

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We stopped there for lunch about 6 weeks ago. Was quite impressEd with the place but there appeared to be only about 3 or 4 van sites. The lake looked good and there was a sign showing sizes etc of all the fish available. You should enjoy a week there.

Reactions: poor but proud

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
We stopped there for lunch about 6 weeks ago. Was quite impressEd with the place but there appeared to be only about 3 or 4 van sites. The lake looked good and there was a sign showing sizes etc of all the fish available. You should enjoy a week there.
Only down side I can see is no close dump point ,closest appears to be Esk,I am hoping not many others there as the school holidays will be over

Reactions: chartrock

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Daughter lives near there so we have the odd picnic , getting a site on or near a weekend can be hit or miss, the van spots are an open area next to the tent bay type sites, dump points at Crows Nest or Esk, about 40 ks each .............. My pick would be a Tues/Wed arrival, payment is by the envelope trick..... certainly need low gear or slot the box into a low job going down the hill to the dam...

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
well ,the plan to cressbrook dam has evolved, she who must be obeyed not happy about driving into the mountains hoping that we may find a spot at the dam, no way to check if there is a spot or not. also no dump point close makes it difficult for a longer stay, so! after looking at several options, we have booked into the NRMA Somerset Dam caravan park, at Kirkleigh , price is outside our normal price range but has the all the things we need for an extended stay ,( 2 weeks)
after reading many reviews appears the only down side are the water rats on jet skis over the weekend, very quite during the week , we will leave the dam to petrol heads over the weekend and do our canoeing, fishing, yabby trapping during the week days when the wage slaves are hard at work paying tax so they can pay my pension and i can keep living the dream. wed 4th october to am wed 17th october

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
2 weeks at Cressbrook and no dump point would mean a lot of driving for sure, only ever drove past the Somerset Camp grounds, they looked inviting on weekdays outside of holidays when they appear to be a tad busy to say the least ........................ Bingara for us this LWE and its not crowded, the water is flowing but freezing cold............ Looking forward to your review of your stay.............