16' Series Crack in wall in my Expander

gunx

May 28, 2012
Geelong
:help:
Hi ,
HELP .I havent used the van for 12 months and when we started to pack it up for the long weekend i almost fell over .My Van is a 2010 16.49.3 and hasnt had a lot of use but i cant work out why this would happen.It was fine when we put it away after last trip ????Is this typical Of Jayco?
IMG_21061_zps87f54bab.jpg
IMG_21051_zps10c13147.jpg

gunx

May 28, 2012
Geelong
Could be due to heat / displacement causing the glue + board to move and hence crack?

What's it look like on the outside in that same spot?
Thanks for your post ,The outside looks fine as far as i can tell.As far as heat goes ,the van is out side with a cover over it but surely a caravan should handle the hot days we have just had.If the heat is the problem ,then there should be heaps of vans going back to jayco.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks for your post ,The outside looks fine as far as i can tell.As far as heat goes ,the van is out side with a cover over it but surely a caravan should handle the hot days we have just had.If the heat is the problem ,then there should be heaps of vans going back to jayco.

Totally agree it should not happen and should be trouble free :)!

I only mention heat as that is the only thing I could think of if the van has not moved.

Again though totally agree it shouldn't happen but that's just what it appears to be i.e heat causing sections to lift and then crack but that's all I can see from the pics.

Next steps I would do is take some detail pictures on get in touch with Jayco.

They should be able to advise the next steps, from all reports on the site even out of warranty if things are not normal like this situation they will generally come to the party without much fuss.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Same model and vintage as mine, no issue here and mine also lives outside with cover, ring/email the pics to dealer and/or Jayco HQ with chassis number,etc
they should come to the party as mentioned, mine had full roof replacement 6 mths ago .

gunx

May 28, 2012
Geelong
Same model and vintage as mine, no issue here and mine also lives outside with cover, ring/email the pics to dealer and/or Jayco HQ with chassis number,etc
they should come to the party as mentioned, mine had full roof replacement 6 mths ago .

Thanks Guys ,I will contact Jayco .We have a camping expo in Geelong at the moment and when i was speaking with another manufacturer about my problem,He wasnt suprised and said thats just the tip of the ice berg.I thought Jayco was a good brand but according to others they are not even in the hunt.(i guess the opposition would say that )
This has really upsets me as we paid good money for the van and now i want to get rid of it.

Gibbo

Mar 17, 2013
Bayside
It always makes me wonder why other manufacturers say things like that. Jayco have about 80% of the market so of course they also have 80% of problems. As we have seen many times on this site they almost always come to the party when problems like this occur even when the warranty has expired. There are horror stories for all brands of caravan. Although I can understand your frustration, and I would be quite upset if it happened to mine.

Reactions: blacky

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
not really a iceberg, more like a slushie :) ..... the splashback is glued onto your wall and when they cut the vent out it left sharp corners, a little bit of flex and it cracks at these sharp corners. being a laminate material it don't flex like the rest of the wall
depending on the repairer and the panel they will either overlay a new piece of laminate or trim around the cupboards/benches and pull it out and replace. either way has it's good and bad points. usually we try to remove any overhead cupboards and then cut a panel to fit, it's very hard to get a good fit as 99% of the time nothing is square, even a 2mm taper is very visible so it's pretty fiddly repair, so we try to hide the worst edge behind a cupboard where it's not seen
Most of your cupboards have a rubber lip stapled to the back edge to cover any joins, this needs to be cut off and we just put a nice bead of coloured silastic down in it's place. i reckon it looks better than the rubber exspecially in a food preperation area, much easier to keep clean.
one of these i did i had about 6 goes till i got it right :) panel would snap just from handling it wrong and i was trying to tuck it behind 3 cupboards at once PITA

I would honestly say that the Jayco is one of the better built vans, they have put a lot of time and effort into building them quicker, but the quality is still on par with other vans costing a lot more.
I remember a 2 year old van of another make that i was recladding after a swipe with a pole, took the cladding off and the wooden frame was rotted out from water ingress 1 metre up the side ...... ended up writeing it off as too costly to repair and that was a $50k van .. not saying the jayco are waterproof, but any water damage is usually only cosmetic, not structural

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
yes always interesting the Jayco bashing by other brands, I know a couple of people in the game who said why are you looking at Jayco/Avan. I said can you get me one of custom ones under $35k that sleeps 6 and they laugh. I really like a New Age Mantra Ray $55k a little too much for us to spend.
Jayco seems to have great after care service a few of these Cambelfield ones will be around with a different name next year in a different factory.
At the moment we leaning to a Avan, we would have a Starcraft now if the double bed in the 16-67-1 was not so small. Jayco said new designs be a few weeks away for the 2014 model. Although probably none to see to Melb show.

Off to Geelong tomorrow myself see what else I find can I wait to March :).

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Yep plenty of Jayco bashers out there, but I've said it before, you'd be hard pushed to find another manufacture that would do major repairs so far out of warrantty, granted some of these things shouldn't happen it the first place and can be frustrating getting it sorted, but it's how the dealer/jayco handle that makes all the difference.

I'm having another small issue with my new roof, already contacted dealer and waiting for repair advice. Sitting in the van today I've just noticed 2 small cracks in the long window above the dinette that I know weren't there last week:(, here we go again!

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
My 2012 has a crack in the Bathroom wall

Well, we just got back from Warrnambool and had an absolute great time away. Although, one fault with the van, the shower wall has cracked.
Found it when I was emptying the waster and saw wet rear wall within the cassette cavity. Wasn't happy though found the crack location. Its where the toilet flat section meets up with the basin upright, There is a gasket there and it leaked from there. All the sika sealant gave way (I guess it was 4 days of 40oC we had, expansion).
So, out came the trusty tool bag with the duct tape and sealed it temporally, will do a whole strip out of sealant and re seal the whole cubicle now, me thinks.

Pace.

Reactions: blacky

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
don't give up to easy - as @DaveS said - it is fixable - and it is Sunday, so they may not be in the office
when you ring them on Monday - get hold of their service manager, not the secretary.

and yes Jayco do have a good rep for repairing things, once you get hold of Jayco they will help you for sure

cheers

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
Well, we just got back from Warrnambool and had an absolute great time away. Although, one fault with the van, the shower wall has cracked.
Found it when I was emptying the waster and saw wet rear wall within the cassette cavity. Wasn't happy though found the crack location. Its where the toilet flat section meets up with the basin upright, There is a gasket there and it leaked from there. All the sika sealant gave way (I guess it was 4 days of 40oC we had, expansion).
So, out came the trusty tool bag with the duct tape and sealed it temporally, will do a whole strip out of sealant and re seal the whole cubicle now, me thinks.

Pace.
Well cover came off the van this weekend and in readiness for the trip away school holidays (yeah no sporting activities to drive too, just kidding watching the kids excel at their sports is great).

The above shower re sealing job is done. Looked into my next mod for the under van storage compartment and have shelved it for the moment (due to back soreness), although i will try to piece together my other mod (caravan alarm) i have been toying with and have it documented also this week, hopefully....

Watch out for an update to Pace's 17.56-2 Touring thread..............

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Well cover came off the van this weekend and in readiness for the trip away school holidays (yeah no sporting activities to drive too, just kidding watching the kids excel at their sports is great).

The above shower re sealing job is done. Looked into my next mod for the under van storage compartment and have shelved it for the moment (due to back soreness), although i will try to piece together my other mod (caravan alarm) i have been toying with and have it documented also this week, hopefully....

Watch out for an update to Pace's 17.56-2 Touring thread..............
Did you do the fridge fan yet?

gunx

May 28, 2012
Geelong
Took the van to Ballarat Jayco (Geelong Jayco weren't interested in assessing it as I didn't buy it from them .Fair enough I guess) and had photo's taken and a report done but was told by the service manager that he didn't think Jayco would repair it as i'm the second owner.Hope he is wrong.