16' Series Converting lounge to bed

hamermike

Feb 2, 2013
Perth
Hi folks,
just did the upgrade from 2007 eagle to 2007 expanda!

yet to use the new beast but i did have a question that someone may be able to help with. We have the 16.49.1 model which has the lounge at one end with a table in the middle.
We have seen some models (or photos) where part of the L shaped lounge can be used to create another bed by using an additional cushion and board.

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/130109/184r1/20426n2_20.jpeg

we rang our local jayco dealer in Perth and the person said you can't order these unless part of original new purchase.

any ideas or experiences in converting??

Thanks
Michael

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Ring Jayco spares in Melbourne. I am not familiar with your layout, we have a 16-49-4 with bed converter, but if its a part then its replaceable. 16 49 1 is still current so you might have some luck, just maybe in a different material.

hamermike

Feb 2, 2013
Perth
Ring Jayco spares in Melbourne. I am not familiar with your layout, we have a 16-49-4 with bed converter, but if its a part then its replaceable. 16 49 1 is still current so you might have some luck, just maybe in a different material.

Thanks Maccayak. Will give them a try. Tried local jayco dealer but they were no help. They told me to get someone to make cushion and board - a local caravan repairer said he could arrange it for around $500 - seemed like a lot. i agree with your reasoning - you could them new (and probably still can) so they should be available as a spare part surely.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
My 14.44-3 has cafe seating(opposite) and it has had some timber screwed to the seat bases and the table top sits on them and a cushion can be pit on top, ill take a pic, you could easy do it yourself and get a foam matress cut to size at clark rubber etc

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
When we got ours we discussed it as an option. There was a small change to the cabinetry so they didn't want to address it after the fact and do it as part of the built. I think it was just simply providing a lip on the seats for the board. As didexceed says, do it yourself. It's only a board to holdthe person and a cushion on top. If you have a sheet over, you won't notice if the cushion fabric is different, or do something to 'complement' the existing rather than try an exact match or something (there's my interior designer trying to break free)

:)

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
I made one for our Swan dinette lounge when we had it - pretty easy to do and came up a treat...think i have some pics i can email...got all info off another jayco forum

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
We have also purchased a 16.49-1 OB 2011 and are looking to the same mod so the Lounge can be used as a spare bed. We made a few inquiries but like you are not having much luck with Jayco as like you said they only offer as an option when purchasing a new van.
I will do the mod myself with a little help and advice from my brother in law who is a carpenter. Once I have the base done I'll be heading to Clark rubber for some foam. I think it's probably a good idea to take a base cushion from your expanda with you to get the same density foam. That way you shouldn't notice any difference in comfort when lying down.
My current lounge is a solid brown that should be fairly easy to colour match, mind you once covered in bedding it doesn't really matter if it's different.
Good luck!

hamermike

Feb 2, 2013
Perth
We have also purchased a 16.49-1 OB 2011 and are looking to the same mod so the Lounge can be used as a spare bed. We made a few inquiries but like you are not having much luck with Jayco as like you said they only offer as an option when purchasing a new van.
I will do the mod myself with a little help and advice from my brother in law who is a carpenter. Once I have the base done I'll be heading to Clark rubber for some foam. I think it's probably a good idea to take a base cushion from your expanda with you to get the same density foam. That way you shouldn't notice any difference in comfort when lying down.
My current lounge is a solid brown that should be fairly easy to colour match, mind you once covered in bedding it doesn't really matter if it's different.
Good luck!

Paulie484 i have sent you a PM with my email address - photos of what you did would be great. might even be worthwhile including/attaching in the forum thread as it looks like Lara has the same dilemma. Didexceed - i will PM you as well - the more ideas the better!

Thanks again for the responses so far.

Michael

hamermike

Feb 2, 2013
Perth
thanks Straydingo. it seems the easy answer is getting it installed at the time of building. i am trying jayco still but i would have thought that they would have had spares in case someone like you, who had it installed at the time, then broke the board or lost the cushion. not holding out much hope so i think the DIY option will be the way to go.

Thanks

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
Obviously a 16 will have a larger bed once converted but mine will be big enough for when a little one arrives. I just need to go get a bit of foam for a mattress but at this stage not overly important so i havn't been bothered.

Attachments

• IMG_1042[1].JPG
    IMG_1042[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,194
  • IMG_1043[1].JPG
    IMG_1043[1].JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,667
  • IMG_1044[1].JPG
    IMG_1044[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,186

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Yay, the link worked!
Just wanted to add that we do have one hurdle in our way converting the lounge to a bed. The photo link I just posted is the perfect way to see what I'm about to explain and the reason I believe Jayco can only offer the conversion at new factory fit out.

Here I go..... The lounges in the 16.49-1 are really comfortable, I'm sure you'll agree! The reason for that is they have an overhang of foam over the lip which is also thicker/rounded where the back of your knees would rest when seated. In the dinette models the foam base does not hang over and is flat/same thickness throughout.
Now have a look at the photo and you'll see that jayco modify the foam length and thickness in the lounge model to make it the same as the dinette. In the photo, the lounge area on the left has remained the same lounge foam but the right l-shape side is modified allowing for the extra bed base board and cushion.
Geez, I hope I'm making sense.......
So the dilemma, how do we convert to bed to make it flat and comfortable? I'm still trying to figure that out.
I dont want to have to change all the base foam over, I love the lounge overhang, super comfy!
Hmmmmmm

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
That explains why my seats have flat cushions, you learn something all the time on this site. Is the converter going to be used every night of just every now and then? Sounds like to do it the proper way, you would need to buy all the cushions required from Jayco or you could go to Clark Rubber, but a foam piece to size and get an auto trimmer or handy person to cover it and maybe put a foam overlay over it to even it out. If kids are going to sleep on it, it will probably be OK. Sounds like it can be done, just how many $$ you want to spend. We bought a converter for ours (different size to yours) and will probably never use it, we bought it more for resale, but if I knew about the base cushions, I probably would have not done it.

Cheers Geoff

hamermike

Feb 2, 2013
Perth
Bed conversion

Yup, thats correct. If a bed converter is ordered at purchase, then the seat cushions are flat; without they have the rounded seat cushion.

I purchased second hand then rang Jayco Canberra, gave them my chassis no and asked they order in a bed converter with the matching fabric. It came about a month later, was approx $350 for the cushion and base. Jayco Canberra fitted the 3 lips which support the base. I made up a couple of legs to give the board some suport from underneath.

End result is an uneven bed with the 'under knee-hump running down the centre of the bed. At present our youngest uses it and he's small so sleeps to one side of the knee-hump. I'll level out the bed at soem stage vai purchasing soem egg-carton foam. I'll cut stips to size and they will sit on the lower levels, thus bringing the whole lot up to the height of the knww hump.

Ahhhh - Lara was right then. i had a look at my own expanda and can see what she (and you) mean by the hump that results. our youngest is 12 so we won't get away with a lumpy bed for long i suspect. will discuss with my wife - i suspect it could be a new set of cushions:).

thanks for all the great ideas and information.

Michael

hamermike

Feb 2, 2013
Perth
Bed convert

hmmmm...maybe I haven't quite got the picture, but with our 16.49.1 bed converter and I just spin the cushions around so that the leg hump as at the backrest.

that sounds like an idea. do you find that the fat bit of the cushion still fits under the back part of the seat or does the new front of the cushion hang over a little and push on the conversion cushion? hope that makes sense?

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
hmmmm...maybe I haven't quite got the picture, but with our 16.49.1 bed converter and I just spin the cushions around so that the leg hump as at the backrest.

Hi Benandjordansmum,
Now you have me confused...... The bottom cushions aren't square or rectangular in the corner so can't be turned around. In the corner of the l-shape they are made with a 90 degree angle so I'm trying to figure out how your doing the flip. And the rounded edge doesn't fit under the back cushion either.
So confused..... Do you have any pics of how your making this work? Would love to see what your doing!
Many thanks.
Lara.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks AJC,
Now that makes sense. Must be a 16.49-1B they have, dinette bed conversion.
I thought there was something I was missing, even went out in the earlier to try and figure it out but was like a puzzle with the wrong pieces. At least I know I'm not going crazy now!
Thanks!
Lara.