Clearview mirrors

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
Hi Just wondering if anyone has or has had any experiences with the Clearview towing mirrors, in particular for 2012 Ford ranger. Any pictures would be good as well

Thanks

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Hi Just wondering if anyone has or has had any experiences with the Clearview towing mirrors, in particular for 2012 Ford ranger. Any pictures would be good as well

Thanks
I fitted a pair to our 2013 Ranger and am more than happy with them. With the mirrors they supplied a DVD with step by step video's which were easy to follow and took about the time they estimated to fit. Although they set it up so that you supposedly watch each stage and then pause it and do the physical part, in practice watching the whole thing and then doing it was a breeze. The only parts I had trouble with was the door internal panel plastic clips on one door preferred to pull out of the panel rather than the door itself. Then one connector to the electrics was a bit dodgy and needed a bit of help to seat in one terminal a bit further.

In operation they produce a bit more wind noise but easy to ignore but my window shields are rather poor fitting themselves and need attending to as some noise is from them. With use the sliding part is becoming easier but a bit of lubrication at times might be needed. Vibration of the mirrors is no worse than the standard ones.

I was a bit apprehensive about rear vision to start with as picking up our van in Adelaide and with some short SA touring and the run home to Darwin this was our first caravan trip. On very little of the trip did I feel that I couldn't see adequately behind the van. Between the 2 mirrors on each, and on one side or the other, I was mostly able to see the shadow of a close behind vehicle except around the middle of the day. Although a rear view camera will be fitted to the van, it's no where as essential as I had at first thought.

Apparently some people refit the standard ones when not towing for a while but I'm leaving ours on, mostly just to get used to them but also because I don't think that it will do the door clips a lot of good trying to prise them out multiple times.

Sorry but I don't have a picture with them extended at the moment.

Regards
Phil
bigears.jpg

Reactions: crackacoldie

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
A mate has them on his PJ, purchased them while on a trip in QLD when one of his Aussie Truck mirrors went AWOL.

He said they are great for towing (also has camera) but at home and just daily driving he said they're a pain in butt, creates larger blind spot. He tends to remove them if not travelling for a while, though I thing this would become a P.I.A all the time taking the door apart
For full time travel, then I'd reckon they be great.

there's also a new model now that fits on like the Aussie Trucks but are electric, can't figure how they run to power lead to them (only had a quick look at a show) Clearview Converter

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
I have a set on the pathfinder and remove them as I have to fold them to but the pathie in the garage each night. When on holidays with the van I leave them on. With the two mirrors I do not find there are blind spots under normal driving but you have to set them up differently them normal mirrors as the mirror sits out from the car. My major issue when driving is that even without the extension they are wide and narrow road works gives you a feeling that you are going to hit every witches hat.

If Clearview would make their mirrors with electric fold in and out I would leave them on all the time (especially if connected to the ignition and seperate switch).

It is not that much of a pain to remove the trim, but it has taken sometime to know what tools are best for what connectors. If we start using the van more I would leave the clearviews on and change where I park the pathie.

As for the Clearview converter the picture shows the remote control unit and power from cig lighter & cable running out the door seals. So another set of wires to sort out in the car.

Cheers
Steve

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
Hi everyone thanks for the opinions and thanks for the picture Phil. We were interested in what they would look like on the Ranger so that gives us a good idea. Although expensive we might bite the bullet and order some.

Jane

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
During a break yesterday while clearing up the yard etc for the imminent arrival of the non-event Cyclone Alessia I took a couple of pics showing a mirror in an extended and folded back mode.

I can't really comment on the price other than I bought them after reading numerous reports of other types and the various pro's and con's. Except for a few minor issues some people had and were generally fixed by the maker there was over whelming good reports for them. The only real complaints were the price but then others commented that many standard factory mirrors were very expensive to replace anyway. The wife hasn't asked how much but does realise that maybe the best thing wasn't to ask, after all she did promise that provided I didn't buy a white Ranger that I could fit whatever accessories I wanted. That promise was provided I bought the WnP and we modified it to better suit our needs though.

There is one bonus with the Clearviews with the split mirrors on each. The wife likes the lower wide angle one on her side angled while on the open road so that she can also get a good view behind.

Phil
Clearview_a.JPG
Clearview_b.JPG

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I think I would prefer those than the add on mirrors I have. I think they confuse things more having a mirror on a mirror. I really dislike them and have never got used to them. I feel that I driver better without the tack on mirrors. I might give those clearview mirrors a look in.
Question. If I drive running a camera on the rear of the caravan, do I need mirrors legally?

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I think I would prefer those than the add on mirrors I have. I think they confuse things more having a mirror on a mirror. I really dislike them and have never got used to them. I feel that I driver better without the tack on mirrors. I might give those clearview mirrors a look in.
Question. If I drive running a camera on the rear of the caravan, do I need mirrors legally?

Under current legislation, yes.

xixau

Oct 14, 2013
We initially bought a cheap set of clip ons from the dealer at delivery time. These were terrible, so I purchased a set of Clear View mirrors.

My initial thoughts on the Clear Views were that the main sections were a bit flat and thus created too small a field of view (too much magnification) but after a 3000km trip with them on, I have appreciated the extra magnification when vehicles are approaching from behind.

The reported blind spot is apparent, but is well covered by the large convex sections at the bottom of the mirrors, just takes a little time to train yourself to look there.

The one little quirk that I have found is that the bases fill up with water in the rain. Could be resolved with a little drain hole, but not game enough to do it in case I need any warranty work later.

Overall conclusion, I love them and think they were worth the money.

Reactions: blacky

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
I suppose $500 odd would be fair, they're not exactly simple, they have all the bells and whistles, and are apparently good quality.. but some people seem to over estimate the value of their product.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
IMHO they make all vehicles look like Dumbo.
They may be great for their intended purpose but for me and my choice of tow vehicle I have some issues.

Firstly, they don't make them for the Jeep.
However, even if they did I would lose the blind spot monitoring system and the electro-chromatic dimming of the mirrors.
All that aside, if I did get some then they would be taken off once home and not towing.
They are downright ugly......lol.

Reactions: Adam79

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Shop around i picked the newly made Triton/Challenger ones up for around $730. They don't have indicators in them though. Indicators do cost more. They do look a bit bulky at first but so easy to just slide the mirror out when towing. No fitting and removal of mirrors anymore. :rockon: