Clearview mirrors alternative?

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Ok @Marv_mart wasnt sure how insurance co's look at it, I assume you would have to notify them as its a modification or they may not except a claim???
Just told them about the 'extras' that we put on the BT XLT when bought it, rear view cam, security alarm, canopy, tub liner, second battery, 2way radio, ClearView mirrors....... Didn't blink when they gave me the Insrance quote, RAA was much cheaper than Allianz by the way and preferred by many crash repairers.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
That car is used mainly for towing so doesn't do much around town as I hate parking it!

I'm not sure how good the clearview alternatives are but I'm sure some have tried them and found they are fine....and a bit less expensive.
Pretty much the same here with the Prado... Just used for towing and the odd weekend trip (Currently sitting in the drive with a flat battery :oops: )
After using the clearview alternatives I find it hard using the tiny mirrors on the commodore!!!!

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Convex or faraway mirrors are not a legal requirement but if your mirror has an indicator fitted you must replace it with one that has it too.................insurance companies wouldn't have a clue as to what mirror you had fitted anyway, having had a couple replaced due to sideswipes, I could only show the assesor the mess left behind but it would be advisable to let them know you have a Clearview or similar fitted so they will replace it with the same or they may go the original, no actually the Clearview would be cheaper than OME mirror so they would be happy.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We swap our Clearviews over when we're not towing - we got the autoelec to put the electric plug in behind the plastic triangle bit on the door - we only need to remove this, unplug the mirrors - remove 3 bolts and swap over. Only a 10 - 15 minute job (for Baz!!!)

Have a mate that does the same thing

Reactions: jacbaz

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
If you are North of the River at all @willobee there is a reasonably new caravan accessory store in Wangara.
They have clearview alternatives on special for $550 at the moment (Still $100 more than the ebay ones)

Website and details can be found at Pilgrim's Caravan & RV Parts. Click on the link to car accessories then mirrors to find them.

Reactions: bigcol

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Well got around to installing them today.
About 15 mins per side.
Hardest part was ensuring the sealing gasket rubber is sitting properly. Oh and having the courage to pop the door trims.
Here is a before and after
IMG_1531.JPG IMG_1532.JPG
all works with prado electrics, test will be passing the first oncoming roadtrain!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
They look good @willobee :encouragement: ... No issues with ours and passing trucks (Yet!)

The only issue I had when fitting mine was that the little brass clip inside the drivers door small triangular trim went flying through the air when removed and is still sitting in the bottom of the garden somewhere :oops:

Good old Toyota didn't sell the clip separately so had to bite the bullet and get a complete trim (Including the clip!!!!)

Reactions: Dobbie and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If thats one of those clips that fastens to inside the door, places like Autobarn etc have a selection of those sort of things usually along with those damn plastic rivets.

Reactions: bigcol and muzza