Casset Toilet

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi All
We bought a new 14.44.5 expanda and had our maiden voyage this week and was wondering why the toilet only worked from pump and tank water is this right I would have thought it would work off mains ? any help would be appreciated
thanks

morg3718

Aug 10, 2011
Mount Eliza Victoria
We also have a 14.44.5 and ours works from the pump and the water tank. To flush you need to have the pump switched on (as explained to us during the handover).
This model is not like the older Tetfords - they had their own tank for flushing.

jed

May 16, 2013
Thanks morg and crackacoldie that explains it ,we have one with no top tank and we need to have the pump turned on
cheers

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well there you go I never knew that Its a shame you have to use the main tanks though to flush but nothing stays the same for long.

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
Hi, we have also just purchased a 14.44.5 and I'm not sure how the water works. Will the hot water and toilet work if I have mains connected but no water in the tanks? Or do I need to need to have water in the tanks at all times? Thanks from a newbie.

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
I've got a new 20-63.1 and the there is no separate flush water tank. It draws it's water from mains if connected or tank water if not connected to mains water. Interestingly, regardless of the water source and regardless of the water pump on/off switch the pump always runs when the flush button is pressed. I'm beginning to think there might be a second pump just for the thunderbox.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Same as cd here, i leave rear tank full.....handy for road side stops plus you can pack away hoses early on the day you check out. Also helps to keep my ball weight under the limit! Oh yeah welcome @beecee :)

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Ok, so it sounds like the Thetford toilets have changed, sounds strange using precious tank water if free camping!

jed

May 16, 2013
Ours has no top tank and I was under the impression that it was working off the mains but unless the pump is turned on nothing happens so now im not sure if its pumping from mains or from the tank so i'll just keep waterin at least the back tank just incase

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi, we have also just purchased a 14.44.5 and I'm not sure how the water works. Will the hot water and toilet work if I have mains connected but no water in the tanks? Or do I need to need to have water in the tanks at all times? Thanks from a newbie.

Hi beecee we just got back from our maiden voyage with our 14.44.5 and worked out that the toilet needs the pump on when fushing ( not sure yet if water is coming from tanks or mains so i will keep water in at least one tank ) but the hot water runs off mains no need for the pump to be on ,we only use toilet at night so will only turn the pump on then flush then turn pump back off hope this helps , the other thing i learnt from others is that when connected to 240v u dont need the water heater switch on as long as the switch in the outside box is switched to 240v other wise your using gass to heat the water as well as 240v and welcome to the forum it has been so very helpful for us ,enjoy your van we love ours cheers :

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi IM wondering what people use to clean out the cassette after dumping ? I emptied ours before we left a camp site and rinsed it with water but I would like to rinse it with some kind of cleaner that's not going to cost an arm and leg ,IM happy to use the right chemicals after I have cleaned it ,any help with this would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

jed

May 16, 2013
I just use water and rinse till the water comes out clean

Might be the go Adam if it works then can't get any cheaper than that ,its just because we bought a new van they are trying to push al kinds of cleaners on us and would rather do what works for people in here
Cheers mate

Reactions: blacky

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Lately I've used White King Power Clean Toilet Bleach Gel. It's also a disinfectant , I have been happy with this just a small amount seems to do the job.

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
I guess a clean with a descaling agent once a year might be a good idea. I wouldn't want to use bleach though, who knows what it would do to the seals