Caravaning and Thermomix

5ofus

Jun 23, 2014
Brisbane
Marilyn, we have a Thermomix and whilst we haven't taken it camping yet I certainly plan to. We've only just upgraded to an Expanda a couple of months ago so we now have more room to take it. I was watching some great videos online making bread in the Weber the other day so will give that a go (making the dough in the Thermomix). Will also probably use it to make pizza dough and cook in the Weber. We tend to do burgers, tacos, wraps etc as it's easy and the kids love it but will definitely be looking at other meals we can make in the Thermomix.

Reactions: Marilyn

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
We have one and swmbo loves it. We don't use it for main meals like I would like to in that I don't eat soups or stews so are struggling to find mains that it can do (apart from pizza)!

BJ

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Not that I have one, but I would have thought that these things have a decent draw power wise on them. Is this the case? Use of them off the grid would require an inverter...

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Marilyn, we have a Thermomix and whilst we haven't taken it camping yet I certainly plan to. We've only just upgraded to an Expanda a couple of months ago so we now have more room to take it. I was watching some great videos online making bread in the Weber the other day so will give that a go (making the dough in the Thermomix). Will also probably use it to make pizza dough and cook in the Weber. We tend to do burgers, tacos, wraps etc as it's easy and the kids love it but will definitely be looking at other meals we can make in the Thermomix.
look on there web site heaps of recipes my wife can direct u if u need any help or the sales person who sold it to u there are heaps of meals try the pizza bianca mmmm steamed chicken I like them the best but really theres heaps

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Not that I have one, but I would have thought that these things have a decent draw power wise on them. Is this the case? Use of them off the grid would require an inverter...
Max power draw is 1500w so ideally a generator or big inverter but would chew through batteries pretty quick.

BJ.

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
At almost two grand a pop, I would want this modern electronic marvel to come free with one of those fat lady cooks with the posh accents that ride around in a motorbike and side car to come with it. You know the ones, those chain smoking corpulent upper class twits with the Biggles hats and goggles off the telly.
Now if aforesaid fat lasses came free in the same Thermomix box to save me from pushing all those daft buttons and knobs by myself, as they spoon fed me their amazing culinary creations, then ( and only then) would I get down the back of the settee to retrieve hitherto lost pennies and put them together with the proceeds of taking my lemonade bottles back to the shop. However it may take a long time to collect enough copper coins before I would even think of condescending to purchase one of these first world fripperies.
Webber BabyQ, George Foreman grill and a tin opener are the weapons of choice and are all I need to create something edible to keep the belly rumbles away. Who on earth trades in their first born to buy one of these overpriced kitchen bench decorations?
I don't get it...... ( and I am beginning to sound like my dad - again )

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
if I am to understand you correctly @meandher (a frost) , your not a big fan I take it?

I do however agree, Weber, Frying pan, sharp knife & a blindfold (for eyes, so you cannot see whatever I do produce) is all I need...

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer seems to disappear when we go away.......
.... so its usually up to me & my limited capacity to create or starve.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
As long as it's a BBQ of some sort, doesn't come with extensive instructions that require a Uni degree to understand or if it doesn't have buttons, dials, LCD screens etc etc etc...... I'll survive :hungry:

OH and as long as it'll also cook :pizza:

Last edited:

Abstar

Oct 31, 2014
I take mine wherever we go, as I use it a lot at home its just natural for me to take it as I already have the recipes/meal plans in my head. I can have a range of food on the table in no time that I don't have to even stir or whip up a nice dessert for the kids with just a few ice blocks. It travels on the sofa and sits on the stovetop if using inside. Havent used it off the grid yet or on the genny. Heck I even fly with mine, just have to pack the blades in the checked baggage :) Otherwise we bbq something or toss a roast in the Cobb.
Its no different to people that have a Weber Q series, (besides the price lol) they get used to doing everything on it and would be a bit lost without it...

Marilyn

Nov 1, 2014
Arrived at our beach site for a few weeks R&R last night. One of my first jobs once set up was make couple of trays ice cubes. Now this arvo ready to make a jug of frozen Mojito's in the Thermomix. Cheers to summer!

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
http://www.target.com.au/p/bellini-intelli-kitchen-master-btmkm6-x/54179691

Never taken it camping but for those interested we have a Bellini from Target. Currently on sale for $249 online and they pretty much do everything a Thermomix does. They retail usually for $399 so are still about 20% of the price. I paid $299 which is their usual sale price so this is a bargain.

I use the thermomix recipes and have had great success.

Reactions: Abstar

Marilyn

Nov 1, 2014
Long weekend coming up! Off to the Sale Music Festival ...a group of us camping in a friend's paddock... with a long power lead! Great recipe for delicious potato & feta pancakes for the bbq.... Recipe for Thermomix but can be adapted for manual preparation easy....
500g potatoes, peeled & halved
1 onion, peeled & halved
2 eggs
2 tbsp mint leaves/or dried mint
1/4 cup feta crumbled .... a bitey cheese great alternative
1/4 cup plain flour
4 tbsp olive oil
lemon wedges

Grate potatoes, onion, mint in TM bowl 3sec, speed 8
Drain potato mix and squeeze excess moisture - use TM basket
Beat eggs in TM bowl 3sec, speed 8
Return potato mix to bowl, add feta, flour, salt & pepper; mix 10sec, speed 1

Heat the oil on bbq/frypan and add 2 tbsp pancake mix to pan - squash to make flat pancakes. Squeeze lemon juice over - delicious!

Paul Dunstan

Oct 14, 2013
Adelaide
We take ours in the 16.49-1 Expanda. With the small fridge we have plenty of bench space for TM, kettle, water purifier and mandatory fruit bowl.

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
I read this post with some irony....... We have just placed an order for our first ever caravan, a starcraft 22.68-1 OB, and also a tm5 thermomix, something my beautiful wife has wanted for years. We have neither - both are on order. Looking forward to TM, toaster, weber, and new van after many years dreaming of.....

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
At almost two grand a pop, I would want this modern electronic marvel to come free with one of those fat lady cooks with the posh accents that ride around in a motorbike and side car to come with it. You know the ones, those chain smoking corpulent upper class twits with the Biggles hats and goggles off the telly.
Now if aforesaid fat lasses came free in the same Thermomix box to save me from pushing all those daft buttons and knobs by myself, as they spoon fed me their amazing culinary creations, then ( and only then) would I get down the back of the settee to retrieve hitherto lost pennies and put them together with the proceeds of taking my lemonade bottles back to the shop. However it may take a long time to collect enough copper coins before I would even think of condescending to purchase one of these first world fripperies.

I think I would prefer Nigela Lawson - with or without the Cocaine

just my preference.........