Car entension mirrors

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
Hi does anyone recommend a set of extension mirrors for the car when towing? We trying to find ones that don't look like they will scratch the doors when in use. Thx

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
I like the look of the Brunsgaard universal mirrors, I saw them at the camping / caravan show last year and I will be replacing mine with them soon.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I just bought some Lion brand ones that hook on to the lip below the window and have a strap that attaches under the door from Autopro cost about $130 used them yesterday and they work great, the ones that just clip on the mirror looked like they would fall off the new ute the mirrors are too big for the straps
http://www.vancruiser.com.au/image/cache/kdc towing mirror33-750x517.jpg

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
These are the ones that I use on the ranger

image.jpg

$24 each, Camec brand, they vibrate to buggery, can't see a lot with them, but it doesn't matter if they get damaged off road.

Mick&Vanessa

Feb 20, 2014
Sydney
We have tried several types of towing mirrors with varying rates of success. When we sold our last van, I gave my mirrors away with the deal. Now getting back into caravanning, we bought a pair of 'Cipa Custom Slide Over' Towing Mirrors online from the USA. These mirrors completely slide over your existing mirror and make it look like a 'one-piece' assembly. There are no rubber straps, no suction caps, no magnets to attach, no support rods, etc. The slide over mirror attaches with a wedge-like clamp set-up that is really secure and hidden when the mirror is installed.

They are available in the US for various US makes and models like Toyota, Jeep Cherokee and Ford Ranger. If you are lucky some of the US models available are the exact same our local vehicles here. We ordered ours from the US on eBay as I haven't seen any place in Australia that stocks them. As we couldn't find the current Prado to be available, we took the gamble and bought a pair that are made for the Toyota Tundra. There are some dimensions supplied on the website.

The Toyota Tundra Mirrors fit the 150 Prado about 95%, but even at 95% they fit a lot better than other mirrors we have used before and at around $100 delivered here, we can't complain. Also with a slight modification to the (plastic) attachment clamp wedge, that can be made to fit even better. The Cipa US website is: http://www.cipausa.com/product/custom-towing-mirrors-11300
Just do a search in eBay for 'Cipa towing mirrors'.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
I use the mirrors like Cap Gadget posted. The mirror you posted a picture of, Cracka, I call them "smack mirrors". Coz every time a big truck goes past they go "SMACK" as the window from the truck pushes them on to my car. In fact, with my cruiser I dont really need them at all. But they sure do make life easy.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I use the mirrors like Cap Gadget posted. The mirror you posted a picture of, Cracka, I call them "smack mirrors". Coz every time a big truck goes past they go "SMACK" as the window from the truck pushes them on to my car. In fact, with my cruiser I dont really need them at all. But they sure do make life easy.
Never had the "smack" problem on the Ranger, but certainly do on the 100

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I hate to say it but the Rg Colorado is bad for the mirror's kissing the glass after every road train that travel past:eek-53: Maybe I should have bought a Ranger.:biggrin:

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
I have used a number of different types, but the Clearview ones, that replace your original mirror, but work off your electrics and slide in for normal driving and out for towing are fantastic! Especially when towing near trucks/roadtrains, cause they don't move!

Reactions: gwadir

Vaughan Reeve

Nov 25, 2013
I have the large Milenco Aero mirrors, I have only used them to tow the van home so far but will get a better idea when i go to Yarrawonga next weekend.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
You can actually buy a strap that hooks on to the mirror and feeds back through the front door jam around the door hinge that stops the mirror blowing back in.

Reactions: skippy

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Have you had a look at the new ORA XL Mega Mirror, very similar to the Clearview, website has them at $660.

Dave

Last edited:

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
i use clearview now, but before i was also afraid of scratching the car door, however the mirrors that just clip onto the mirror i found just not stable enough and would move when a large truck passed. so i used ones that would rest of the door, however i would put the screen protector from a ipad on the door to protect it, it was cut to the correct size, and as they do not have sticky on them, i found them fantastic. i could leave them on even during washing the car, but if i took them off to replace them they would just peal off leaving nothing on the car paint.