Capital Country CP outside Canberra

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Stayed 7 nights here, quiet but a bit run down. internal roads are potholed, most sites are gravel, office only open 9 am to 5 pm. Staff helpful and approachable.Some sites are fenced as dog free but this allows dogs to bark at people. Place is set up to take schools and they were there by the bus load but all seemed well behaved. Shower were large cubIckes, good pressure and hot but water is bore water and fouls up tea and coffee and does not lather the soap. Price ok at $39/night less 10% if you are a member of G’day Parks, and is about 15 minutes from central Canberra.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I should have added, their wifi is so slow as to be almost non existent, especially if the kids hit it in the evening.
Hi,
what was the manager's response to the unacceptable wifi?
Seems like many businesses are very quick to jack up prices but very reluctant to spend those extra funds on maintenance or improving their offering.

take care
Mike

Reactions: GlampinCdub

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hasn't improved in 20 years then, we drove in and out again.....
Yep, that is exactly what I do. A business can charge what it likes and offer whatever it wants. But the customers must decide whether the offering provides good value and not be afraid to vote with their feet if they decide it is not acceptable.
If one accepts a substandard offering then they only send a message to the owners that what they are providing is acceptable and they will then keep lowering the offering until it is rejected.
Unscrupulous owners know that people are mostly tolerant and don't want to cause a fuss and are thus taken advantage of.
I have, more than once, sat down in a restaurant, taken a good look around, looked at the menu, looked at the meals other diners are given and got up and walked out. This sends a strong message. I would rather not eat then pay good money for a meal I will not enjoy!

There is a lot of crap written about how we must support our country and local businesses. NO, NO, NO! We should support any business that supports its customers and realises that this is the most effective way to be successful. We should avoid ALL businesses that do not treat its customers well. It is not the obligation of a potential customer to buy a product or a service merely just because the owner has opened its doors.

I owned my own electrical retail and repair business back in the 70s when I was 20 years old. I learnt and adhered to those principles way back then. In that time I went through a serious recession and still grew the business from a staff of three to over twelve.

Mike

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Canberra has had very little in the way of caravan parks of any quality, for years, was one out Watson way once but it went to the dogs and is gone, the Sutton places in NSW have been like refo camps for decades, Alivio in O'connor was the only decent one until a few years ago when Canberra Park opened on the Federal Hwy near the Epic, pricing is similar in the over $55/nt but we have found Canberra Park does have specials where it can be $45/nt for a week, its a quality place before that we would use the Epic but it can be unkempt, muddy and now its near $40/nt, Queanbeyan parks have gone for cabins and no room for a decent sized van to move, so gave them a miss plus can be a bit feral.........
Having lived there back in the 80's I can say that now Canberra, our nations capital, is a bit of a dump in places .....

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi,
what was the manager's response to the unacceptable wifi?
Seems like many businesses are very quick to jack up prices but very reluctant to spend those extra funds on maintenance or improving their offering.

take care
Mike
Hi Mike, I did not say anything, I just used my phone as a hotspot. This was the only place we could get as Canberra was full for Floriade as well as people fleeing floods. We are now in Sydney at Ingenia’s park at Vinyard and the wifi is pretty much the same, good in the morning but crap in the evening/night.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Yep, that is exactly what I do. A business can charge what it likes and offer whatever it wants. But the customers must decide whether the offering provides good value and not be afraid to vote with their feet if they decide it is not acceptable.
If one accepts a substandard offering then they only send a message to the owners that what they are providing is acceptable and they will then keep lowering the offering until it is rejected.
Unscrupulous owners know that people are mostly tolerant and don't want to cause a fuss and are thus taken advantage of.
I have, more than once, sat down in a restaurant, taken a good look around, looked at the menu, looked at the meals other diners are given and got up and walked out. This sends a strong message. I would rather not eat then pay good money for a meal I will not enjoy!

There is a lot of crap written about how we must support our country and local businesses. NO, NO, NO! We should support any business that supports its customers and realises that this is the most effective way to be successful. We should avoid ALL businesses that do not treat its customers well. It is not the obligation of a potential customer to buy a product or a service merely just because the owner has opened its doors.

I owned my own electrical retail and repair business back in the 70s when I was 20 years old. I learnt and adhered to those principles way back then. In that time I went through a serious recession and still grew the business from a staff of three to over twelve.

Mike
Very good advice.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Darlington Beach Holiday Park (just 30km north of Coffs Harbour) is one of the best parks we have stayed in. The pic with Mrs CR sipping coffee shows our next door neighbour, more than 10 metres away and the same to the rear. Plenty of trees for shade but tall enough to allow sunlight in. The driveways are concreted all the way to the slab, allowing the tug to sit in front and we’ll on to concrete with a slab also for the annexe. The whole site is angled at 45 degrees to the road providing the easiest parking of the van. It is an NRMA park so 10% discount to members and 50% off equipment hire. There is a 9 hole golf course, (a bit rough). access to the beach, large pool, water park, bmx track, bowling green, restaurant etc. We planned one night, stayed three, the only downer is their wifi not good but they do warn in their publicity sheet that not all the park is covered.

861E01CA-B51A-43B3-B6C7-2403FBE1984A.jpegA5C2FF78-BB3F-4E40-B560-147C2ADAE090.jpeg0E18B837-5DF1-4290-9D9E-5800707EF287.jpeg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just down the road from my old favourite camp, Red Rock.....pity its on that mongrel highway and I see prices have risen heaps... Nice part of the world outside holiday periods.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Just down the road from my old favourite camp, Red Rock.....pity its on that mongrel highway and I see prices have risen heaps... Nice part of the world outside holiday periods.
We went into have a look at Red Rock and they haven’t done a thing to it in the ten years since I was last there except raise the price. It is now $57/n at this time of the year. The grass does not appear to have been cut and one camper told me he complained every day for 5 days about lack of soap in the dispenser in the men’s ammenities before they finally filled it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They put new Glamping tents in back in 2015 ..................... we stopped going when it went to $35, besides driving the Pacific is such a pain, think our last visit was end of 2015 when we got Big Mal, haven't been down the Pacific since and don't intend to................. Must have new managers, the ones that had the lease in my day wouldn't have let that happen................ we have lovely sunny days up here.................. Fuel price is keeping us at home....

Reactions: chartrock

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Off to Canberra tomorrow for a week ,not taking the van.Forty years since we been there ,want to visit the war museum for the first time plus a bit of sight seeing.Diesel in Yamba knocking on 2.50 pl yesterday!Could start a Friday rant ! except I will say things aint looking good for a lot of people !

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Off to Canberra tomorrow for a week ,not taking the van.Forty years since we been there ,want to visit the war museum for the first time plus a bit of sight seeing.Diesel in Yamba knocking on 2.50 pl yesterday!Could start a Friday rant ! except I will say things aint looking good for a lot of people !

The AWM is having a refurb so entry is ticketed for a timed visit, have to go to the AWM website to book . The light rail from Civic to Gungahlan is good fun and can buy a cheap ticket for all day on bus and tram about $5 for old foggies, handy if you want to visit museums and places as the parking at places other than the AWM is bluddy expensive.

Reactions: BJM and mikerezny

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
The AWM has 2 hour sessions to be booked on line although you can book more than one session (all free). We did 12.00-2.00 and 2.00-4.00 then booked the closing ceremony by the Pool of Remembrance. A really great afternoon but we still did not see all of the 4 halls open. Lots to see in Canberra. Parking $3.80/hour during the week, free on weekend. Also, if you are a senior, you can get a free pass for the light rail. We obtained ours from the visitor centre by the lake but be aware of the costs for coffee and scones at their cafe. $20 for Devonshire tea so read the menu before ordering. Have a good trip.