Camping Tragedy

Boots in Action

Well-Known Member
Mar 13, 2017
1,436
1,270
113
Ferny Grove, Queensland

Yes Mike @mikerezny , it just goes to show you cannot be too careful. Unlikely to be a leak from the fridge IMHO. If flame goes out for some reason, thermistor senses lack of heat and shuts off gas. Unless it has not been maintained properly or has been modified some how. Most likely a leak from the gas connection between gas bottle and line, or the gas connection at the fridge itself. But was gas line in good condition?? Always tighten brass connectors carefully and NOT cross threaded. A quick check with a bit of soapy water will show any leaks at that time. Must have been a tightly done up tent to not allow gas to escape, as LP gas is heavier than air and would therefore build up close to the ground and could not disperse quickly enough under the tent flaps at ground. . Hence the reason our vans have a vent in bottom of door - lowest point in van. Truly a sad and tragic story!!
 

poor but proud

Well-Known Member
Aug 25, 2018
257
313
63
69
redlands
Any lit flame produces carbon monoxide which is odourless and heavier than air so you can slowly sufforcate it will happen even in a tent or van even a closed room any lit appliance is dangerous if used incorrectly , sad times to all involved ,escaping gas can usually be smelled and too much in an enclosed space will ultimately go bang ,gas is a good slave but a bad enemy beware!
 

rags

Well-Known Member
Any lit flame produces carbon monoxide which is odourless and heavier than air so you can slowly sufforcate it will happen even in a tent or van even a closed room any lit appliance is dangerous if used incorrectly , sad times to all involved ,escaping gas can usually be smelled and too much in an enclosed space will ultimately go bang ,gas is a good slave but a bad enemy beware!

Agree, This will only be as a result of one thing, running a gas fridge within the confines of an enclosure/tent resulting in carbon monoxide poisoning which ultimately will lead to a slow but painless death.
 

Axl

Well-Known Member
Dec 23, 2014
384
888
93
Brisbane/Bayside
Agree, This will only be as a result of one thing, running a gas fridge within the confines of an enclosure/tent resulting in carbon monoxide poisoning which ultimately will lead to a slow but painless death.

Totally agree sounds like a case of not knowing or understanding the risks involved with having three way fridges running on gas in a confined space. People are already talking on social media sites and forums which will hopefully educate those that don't understand what can happen in this situation and another tragedy like this one can be avoided.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Boots in Action

Boots in Action

Well-Known Member
Mar 13, 2017
1,436
1,270
113
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Could it have been CO poisoning if the fridge was running on gas inside the tent? No smell and slow acting

Yes @jazzeddie1234 , when I think about it a bit more, more likely Carbon Monoxide poisoning rather than propane gas. Propane gas can be smelt, but CO is the silent killer!! So sad that they were not aware of the danger in enclosed spaces.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jazzeddie1234