Brakes on 2012 Expandas

Damien & Mel

Oct 26, 2011
Forster NSW
:flame:

We would advise people to have their vans brakes checked as there seem to be a lot of incidences with people have this problem.

We have just had the same problem on our van as quite a few other owners have also as per the link to an earlier post.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/690-Check-Brakes!!!!

Even though it is a 16 ft. It was our first trip in the van, we went over to Mudgee and stayed there for 10 days. On the way over the brakes kept locking up at times when we applied them it would alternate between either side, I just kept adjusting the controller down thinking I must have a problem with the controler, not thinking it would be the van as it is only 2 weeks old. Comming back home yesterday all hell broke loose, first the brakes locked up when I just slightly applied them, there was nowhere to stop safely there to check them so we had to drive for about another 2 or 3 kms. I got out to check the wheels etc and could notice a hot brake smell, felt the wheels and the left hand side was extremely/ burning hot to touch, the right hand side was very warm but not burning hot. We sat there for about an hour so they could cool down we were about 10kms out of Merriwa and no phone service, we crept into town and stopped at the NRMA there. We called Jayco in Melbourne and spoke to the service section and after talking about the problems he got me to check the hand break on the van, it only took 3 clicks to be fully on, from this he advised that this had not had any adjustment before hand over from the dealer, and the hand brake had been partially on all the time, and as we went along the van chassis would move and further apply the hand brake, on some occasions we were down to 40 Kms. We got the mechanic at the NRMA to have a look, and when he jacked the van up and went to move the passengers side wheel he could here a grinding/ loose sound, there was one of the springs broken. He tried to remove the wheel and two of the nuts were cross threaded so he couldnt get the wheel off, it was suggested to us from Jayco in Melbourne that since the brakes have got so hot they will need to be completly replaced.
We called RV Assist they were really helpful and would tow the van to Newcastle for us for repairs then it would be our responsibility to get it home, so we ended up going through our own NRMA road side service and got it toed back to the dealer we purchased it from.
Hopefully once these repairs are carried out the next trip will be more enjoyable.

Damien & Mel

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks for the heads up, I am now going to make sure when I pick up my new expanda that I get the handover guy to take off ans put back each and every wheel nut to make sure they are not cross threaded...

Reminds me of something that happened with our swan outback, on our second trip the front of the van drop unexpectedly and almost crushed my foot... The jockey wheel clamp had been cross threaded from new and gave up..

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Excuse my ignorance as I feel i should know what it means, but what exactly is "Cross threaded"? How does it happen? Do you mean the nut was not put on properly and the thread was destroyed as it was tightened?

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
That's what I think it means. :)

I would otherwise call it stripped but figured I'd go along with the lingo of the original poster ;-)

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
After all this Talk I thought I'd better go and check my Nuts (That didn't sound good did it?) all are good although no cross threading here some were a tad loose but the Dealer did tell me tighten them after 200ks

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Cross threaded means that the nut has not been correctly aligned with the existing thread (on cars, trailers, vans etc this is with the studs) and then tightened (ussually by a power tool [air / electric / etc) to make another thread. This new thread is very tight and may make the nut impossible to remove with out using a power tool. I have had a car come back from a tyre replacement and need to remove the wheels and found around 4 studs of 20 stuffed and extremely difficult to get the nuts off.

The three issues associated with cross threaded are:

a. that on the side of the road or outback standard wheel braces may not be able to remove the wheel nuts;
b. if tightening is required it may not be possible or they feel tight but are not fitted properly;
c. Once removed the nut and the stud are stuffed.

Major cause is placing a nut into a power tool and applying directly to stud.
Avoid by placing all nuts on by hand until wheel is secure then finishing with power tool or wheel brace.

A stripped thread is when the nut or stud looses enough thread that it does not function correcly meaning that it can not tighten correctly and will fail under normal load.
Certainly can be caused by cross threading, but is ussually the issue once the nut is removed; however if power tools are used and enough force applied causing a nut to be over-tightened then this can result in the thread being stripped or the stud being broken.

Again avoid by placing nut on by hand and making sure that they are tightened the correct amount.

Cheers
Stephen

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey Bigman, did you have any drama with your 56.2 towing back up to Moranbah? Loose nuts etc??? I had no dramas doing 2200kms down to Forster and back to Bargara. It goes into Warburton's on the 30th.
Cheers Deano

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hey Bigman, did you have any drama with your 56.2 towing back up to Moranbah? Loose nuts etc??? I had no dramas doing 2200kms down to Forster and back to Bargara. It goes into Warburton's on the 30th.
Cheers Deano

nar Deano, only problem I had was after I got its first service done in Mackay. Brakes would lock up with my P3 controller, thought they may have over adjusted them. I have tyre pressure/temp monitors on all 4 tyres and no temp change, turned boost down to B1 and ran for a trip, now its back to B2 and I just when down the range near Mackay this weekend in the rain and no lockups. Tried it out even better this arvo when I forgot I had to get fuel, jammed on the picks and pulled up under 80m (no lockups) Everything else has been a deam really, No complaints at all, I would buy another there in a heart beat!!

Done nearly 5000kms now, All Good!

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Come to think of it, the Guardian IQ Hayman Reese brake controller was a little sticky when, I hit the picks. Especially coming up to traffic lights or to a complete stop. I put it down to a minor adjustment. It goes in for it's first service soon, so sort it all out before The Easter getaway.