Birdsville races 2012

Joshs

Sep 12, 2011
HAWKESBURY
All,

Planning a trip to Birdsville races this year.
Still contemplating if with 17.56-2 or without. Obviously need stone stoppers to add to the option list if in tow.
Leaving Sydney, planning to go thru southern QLD and home down thru the birdsville track and back to Sydney via Broken Hill.

Any input,suggestions or self experience on this same trip with a van in tow.

Thanks

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi Joshs,

I went to the Races Last year traveling up from NE Victoria. Not sure if you have been before, but I would probably leave the van behind. The birdsville track is fine, but it all depends on how much work has been done prior. We had to take the Cordillo downs track because of the wait across the Fairy at the Cooper. Lots of travellers to and from the races caused in excess of 48hr wait. If the Fairy is not running I would consider it, but if it is running, you will not be able to take the van across as it will be too long. That would force you to take the Cordillo Downs track to head south and it is 100% Gibba rock. Rocks as far as you can see and very hard on your gear. I though my vehicle would fall appart by the time I got back to Ineminka, but was all good. A van on the other hand may not survive quite as well.

Good luck

Joshs

Sep 12, 2011
HAWKESBURY
Thanks Feldty,

I have not been there before. I know last years was flooded in/out and was cancelled accordingly.
I have spoken to the tourist centre there. They did explain to me the grating of the main roads/tracks are good that time of year but you can never tell.

Thanks again exactly what I was asking for.

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
We did the track at the the beginning of October, We were towing an off road camper trailer then and it took quite alot of damage to the trailer and underside. as Feldty said if the cooper is flooded and you need to take the ferry you will be too big. I think even with a stone stomper there is alot of potential for damage. I was looking at the Strezleki and Oodnadatta tracks in the future but if I do I will ensure I have some protection on the whole underside of the van. Also if you are going for the races I would think you have to be prepared for some rough conditions camping wise. the campsite is Ok mainly dust and the camping elsewhere is very restricted. As long as you don't mind crowds should be a good time.