Bike racks

Harv n Bron

Jul 9, 2012
Evening all, am interested in bike rack options. Told Bron when ording that bikes would be no problems..... I'm aware there is a fiama (I think) rack that goes on the A Frame. - anyone got one and any comments, apart from customising the rear bumper has anyone done anything creative? Thanks Harv.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I use a custom rack made by Berns Beaks in Bayswater, Vic
It attaches to my WDH and has locating tabs to fit over the trunion knuckles.
Works really well for us.
3ecea6ec.jpg

Harv n Bron

Jul 9, 2012
Thanks Matty 4, an interesting solution - whilst you say custom rack was it custom built for you, or rather a custom built solution for this problem and is available from Berns Beaks?

AJC, I'm in Amaroo, don't suppose you are on the north side and I can get a look some time?

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Evening all, am interested in bike rack options. Told Bron when ording that bikes would be no problems..... I'm aware there is a fiama (I think) rack that goes on the A Frame. - anyone got one and any comments, apart from customising the rear bumper has anyone done anything creative? Thanks Harv.

Hi There,
Another forum member makes custom bars and designed on for me to put a bike rack on.
Contact zerosecta, i am sure that he can help you out with a solution.
Cheers

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
They look very impressive SD, I like the way they can fold down which could come in handy if mounted on the rear of the Expanda. Maybe weld a hitch receiver to a modified rear bar?

Then swap it over to the Disco when the Expanda is unhitched?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
They look very impressive SD, I like the way they can fold down which could come in handy if mounted on the rear of the Expanda. Maybe weld a hitch receiver to a modified rear bar?

Then swap it over to the Disco when the Expanda is unhitched?

I'm getting Zero to make up one of his wonder bars for the rear and moving the tyre to the back (well, at least once I get him some measurements and a bit of cash - Zero I haven't forgotten you...) So I'd still prefer it on the front. But yes the aim is to remove it from the drawbar and plug it on the disco.

ISI said they bit off more than they can chew by trying to make a 'universal fit'. So it's still in development, and as such don't know how it will go for fit

Gonewest

Mar 12, 2012
Western Suburbs, Melbourne, VIC
Hey there, i can actually make a comment on this thread! (oops first time so hope i dont stuff it up)
I agree with the comments regarding the dangers of carrying extra stuff on the rear bumper. I think i have read that the supports are only designed for a max 40 kg. So with the mission to carry 2 x adults and 2 x teenager bikes I had to look to the A-frame. My 16 footer had two 4.5kg gas bottles. A mate welded up a mod to move the bottles closer to the van body and slot attach my 4-bike carrier to the new crossbar (that also holds the gas bottles). OK i have to remove all the bikes and the carrier when ever we want to use the front bed.... but this way the carrier can be used on the car straight away.
Here are some pics to show what I have done. Also the spec sheet for the dream 17 footer has an extended A frame.....(!)
bike rack1.jpgbike rack3.jpg

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hiya Harv.
I opted to make a rack mount on the front A frame of my Expanda. {14.4.4.2}

The way I see it, there are four advantages for a front mounted bike rack.
1. You can always see the bikes when travelling. If something comes loose you have a better chance of knowing about it before anything happens.
2. No obstruction to rego plate. In NSW we aren`t permitted to have additional plates made up to attach to the rack, so this drama is elevated.
3. Sometimes too much weight at the rear can be dangerous and make the van "wobble"
4. In my case, I only have one fold out bed at the rear, and I don`t need to remove any bikes to fold out bed.

See pics below.

1. photo-60.JPG

2. photo-61.JPG

3. photo-62.JPG

FOR A MORE THOROUGH DESCRIPTION YOU CAN GO TO MY POST HERE TO SEE HOW I MADE IT STEP BY STEP.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/2005-Coast-Runners-Outback-Expanda-14-44-2/page3

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
By the way, don`t buy the double tow ball item without checking the measurements first.

I thought it would save me making my bike rack but wasn`t the case.

In my case, the upper slide through tow bar and ball was too close to the caravan coupling and would have caused great damage if used.

I`m not sure how it would be on other vehicles but wasn`t going to work with mine.

See pic below.

towhitch.JPG

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
I'd hate to see how much extra stress there was on that whole tow setup with such a long shaft.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
By the way, don`t buy the double tow ball item without checking the measurements first.

I thought it would save me making my bike rack but wasn`t the case.

In my case, the upper slide through tow bar and ball was too close to the caravan coupling and would have caused great damage if used.

I`m not sure how it would be on other vehicles but wasn`t going to work with mine.

See pic below.

View attachment 11855

Gee I would hate to be holding onto the towball handle while backing the car. A lot less skin on the knuckles me thinks.

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
can anyone tell me if they have a two bike rack on their towball that doesn't necessitate the removal of the bikes to open the front bed on a 17.56-2 (or similar).
i have spoken to berns beaks (as recommended on the forum) and they have quoted me $435 for a bike rack (incl postage) which will fit over a hayman reece 550WDH.
i don't mind paying this if it fits the bill even though it is about four times the cost of the bikes!
however i'm concerned that if i get it, it may not give me enough room to drop the bed without removing the bikes first.
i'd also like to know if the bikes will allow me to use the van brake and/or jockey wheel without being removed.
if that's the case i may as well purchase a cheaper model that fits to the a-frame of the van.
can anybody help?