17' Series Bike Rack

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
These took five minutes to put on today for a ride by the river. (And one is a tandem) Out of the way. Cheers.

image.jpg

Buckleys

Jul 25, 2014
Thanks for all the posts!! We just throw our in the back of the hilux at the moment, but would like a rack in the future!! Thanks for all the tips!

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
It does depend on the location you go to as well @blacky . The kids and us parents love riding at Warrnambool as there is a bike path along the foreshore that stretches about 5-6 km and also around lake Pertobe and the Bmx track so for our 2 weeks there they are a must.

Last edited:

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi @Smergen I don't have any pics of mine unloaded, but it is exactly the same as Matty4's. I can't remember what I paid now but I'm pretty sure I didn't pay $600-$700...I would've chocked on that!!!

I bought mine from the service centre at Jayco in Bayswater, try them

Cheznick5

Jan 21, 2013
Merimbula, NSW
@Smergen
Here's mine without the bikes on
46EB5D2D-3D96-46BF-9095-265DCAA0DCB6.jpg

9438D966-4B05-4B4E-968A-B4F408A4F7E2.jpg
Hi Matty, I have the same car and worried about exceeding towball weight with can. How did you get around it? Any alterations to the car. Van load and jeep I cannot put more than 225 kg on ball even though it pulls 3500 kgs. This has been a 2 yr saga for us.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
@Cheznick5 If you have down ball weigh concerns, why not put the carrier on the back of the van? I have attached a photo on here of what i did. Needs a little more work to fit to the bar initially, but worked well and can pivot out of the way to open up while remaining loaded. As it runs a hayman & Reece style receiver it goes on the car as well it changes over in Seconds if you are away with the van and then want to take the car and bikes somewhere else.

If you want to run a box on the front, the tire can go under the van which is what i did. Let me know if you want more info.
20140601_151328_resized_1.jpg
20140601_151259_resized_1.jpg

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Here is my solution, a custom bar built about a year ago. Originally it was painted white but this year I had it sand blasted and galvanized. I find our van rides well with this arrangement, I moved the spare from the rear to the A frame, I travel with rear tank full and a fully stocked waeco up the front inside to achieve a 200kg ball weight which seems just right for me! :)

rear bike rack.jpg

Ryan7

Feb 21, 2014
Been trying to find the best solution for a while now. After Christmas we will be carrying 5 mountain bikes if Santa is nice. I was thinking about putting 2 on the roof of the car and 3 on one of these:
https://www.torpedo7.com.au/product...ific-4-bike-a-frame-bike-rack-w-straight-base
Does anyone know if it is safe/legal to tow and use one of these? I have emailed the rta but waiting on a response. Seems like it should work.

Last edited:

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
My 17fta is setup like @Burnsy has - but I just modified the existing bar.

I went to the tip shop, got a tow bar for $5 and cut out the receiver box section, removed the expanda rear bumper, cut out the centre on both sides with an angle grinder, poked her through and welded in the receiver - zinc it and silver frost make it look just like a bought one (you need to add extra bolts to the std bumper connection points to secure it better as well).

I have the typical 4 bike carrier off the tow ball mount (which can be lowered down by lifting up and pulling forward) but I don't use the panda rear bed so it stays in place most of the time. A benefit is I can swap the bike rack between the car and van if heading out for an adventure elsewhere... I still prefer to leave the bikes at home given the lack of use they get when away... and scooters are smaller.

Dual rear cam with one facing down also lets me watch the bikes... or watch em disappear if I ever forget to secure them properly :)

Tow Bar Receiver for Bike Rack.JPG IMG_9510.JPG IMG_9509.JPG

Last edited:

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I have the typical 4 bike carrier off the tow ball mount (which can be lowered down by lifting up and pulling forward) but I don't use the panda rear bed so it stays in place most of the time. A benefit is I can swap the bike rack between the car and van if heading out for an adventure elsewhere...

Update

My previous bike rack was a very similar style but basic 3 bike fixed mount (where the bikes attach), I've used both the 3 and this 4 bike rack shown in the photos a few time on short trips (100kms or so)... Liked it because the bike mounts can be rotated to keep the bikes level and it looked more heavy duty...

But DON'T use the one shown in my photos for long trips on the back of the van

I had one bike holder rotated for mtn bike to sit level and I didn't notice the bike starting to wiggle down the holder ever so slowly...

All looked good at checks every few hundred clicks and checking in the cam every now and again...

But in the last 2oo clicks of the 700km stint I thou all was good - in reality the bike's frame contacted the bike rack and nearly punched / wore through the alloy bike frame and took a heap of paint off.

The pinned connections have too much play and flog around shaking way too much on rough roads and I'll blame the Velcro straps too...

I'm now looking for a different bike rack

Shane Chalker

Mar 18, 2015
Forster
@Cheznick5 If you have down ball weigh concerns, why not put the carrier on the back of the van? I have attached a photo on here of what i did. Needs a little more work to fit to the bar initially, but worked well and can pivot out of the way to open up while remaining loaded. As it runs a hayman & Reece style receiver it goes on the car as well it changes over in Seconds if you are away with the van and then want to take the car and bikes somewhere else.

If you want to run a box on the front, the tire can go under the van which is what i did. Let me know if you want more info.View attachment 27846View attachment 27847
Hi,
Just wondering where you got your bike rack from and did you have to get an engineer to certify it? We are just looking into fitting a bike rack onto the back of our expanda and were told we have to get an engineer first. Thanks

Heidi at

May 15, 2014
Werribee, Victoria
@Izzya123 Ours is very similar to Matty4's. Works really well and no problems with the turning circle...
View attachment 27489
We are looking at solutions for a storage box and bike carrier as well, your solution looks quite good. Just wanted to check though is yours and extended draw bar or normal? Do you have to take the bikes off to drop the bed end if you stay attached to the car. Also wondering about dimensions on your box to see if it may meet our storage needs. Thanks for the help!

PatnKate

Feb 8, 2016
Sunbury, Vic
Hi, We have just purchased our 16:49:1 OB and I have been wondering how to go about the bike rack solution as well.
I have found this company http://www.isi-carriers.com/customers/isi-bicycle-carrier-customers.html
They seem to be a great solution as I will be needing them for a straight 3 months on a trip, however it will be an expensive solution ( approx. $800) .Has anyone done something similar but cheaper?
Thanks Heaps.
Pat
expanda-bike-rack1.jpg
expanda-bike-rack2.jpg

Reactions: dagree

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I learnt the hard way... Went cheapo first up and destroyed two bikes.

(Mind you mine was on the back which shakes heaps more than draw bar mounted racks)

I then did exactly what @TTBRIDGE did above - isi carrier on the back with reinforced rear bar as I have a tool box up front (couldn't put bikes there) & spare relocated underneath.

isi carriers are engineered well, suit all shapes and sized bikes, and are solid - they also weigh a quite a bit before you even add the bikes...

Not cheap but I'd recommend one given they have folding design which works great on the expanda and ute.

Reactions: dagree