Journey Bent Stub Axle.

Ifocus

Jun 17, 2022
Gonesurfing64
Currently on the road and have been watching passenger side tyre on my single axle Jayco outback scrubbing.

Had it looked at and told I have a bent stub axle waiting to see if insurance will cover etc.

Forgot to ask but how do you replace is it a cut and weld or other anyone know?

Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Insurance company certainly be classed as wear and tear.
What size van and what sort of suspension ???

If someone just looked at it and only one wheel scrubbing out it probaly means it just needs a wheel alignment, throw some pics of the tyre wear but a bent axle will scrub the inside and is noticeable wheel lean to the inside.

Last edited:

Ifocus

Jun 17, 2022
Gonesurfing64
Finally got the claim assessment done yesterday arvo apparently the delay was due to assessor for this area off with Covid. Drover the wear is unusual thought the same as you tyre scrub outside edge generally too much tow in but also has wear to inside edge with no wear to centre. Had a couple of events (hit holes) so likely bent and tow in issues. Dropped off today for repair it’s a cut and weld (coded welder) replacement photo not the best
IMG_3411.jpeg

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Certainly doesn't look like a bent stub axle no matter what the suspension set up, did they check that the J tech frame and /or sub frame itself hasn't bent, has been known to happen and that would throw a wear like that not so much a stub axle from a pot hole the wear is totally wrong ....

Reactions: Ifocus

Ifocus

Jun 17, 2022
Gonesurfing64
Yes agree but using a tape and by eye the tyre didn’t look square up and down and was about 10mm tow in measuring from the chassis. Just got it back and can see the difference plus running the tape over it it’s looking a lot better with in a mil or two. Coded welded back on if it happened anywhere remote and bad enough you’re stuffed.
IMG_3757.jpeg

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nice neat looking job, just strange the stub bending in the opposite direction, doesn't surprise me as Ive seen some strange things from suspensions but 10mm will certainly chew some rubber, your measure sticking sounds good.... Wish I could have have had a crawl around before and after, nothing better than seeing and feeling these things to improve the knowledge base......... I would be watching its oppo now..................... the jig that did the original welding might have done a few dodgy welds and QC at caravan places is not that great..

My welds that are out of sight look nearly that good and the splatter jobs are usually in full view.................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Must have bent back more than up or down sure sign of a bad join............. once had a spring hanger that where it was welded to the chassis it had actually cut the metal, luckily I was changing the whole spring set up and found it before it came away................ Have a great run along the Gibb, hear its like Pitt St nowadays.

Last edited:

Ifocus

Jun 17, 2022
Gonesurfing64
Well competed the Gibb even went up the Kalumburu road to Drysdale and back Van went very well no broken any thing no flats no damage etc but what a place absolutely stunning area.

The Gibb road was in perfect condition corrugations only 4 to 6 inches deep :)