Benrosenicks 2013 17.56-2 OB

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Also just fitted a CO and gas detector. Runs off the 12v, detects carbon monoxide and also flammable gas (i.e. natural gas, LPG etc), when there is no alarm it just shows the temperature.

It protrudes quite a bit and can't be recessed so I've put it somewhere where I hope it will still work but won't get kicked - below the sink opposite the fridge door, just after the dinette.

View attachment 22425 View attachment 22426

Hi love your rig. I am setting up my Expanda too and mind you I got some clever tips from your site here.. thanks for sharing. Got a question.. Where did you purchase your Gas and CO monitor? cheers

Reactions: benrosenick

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
Hi love your rig. I am setting up my Expanda too and mind you I got some clever tips from your site here.. thanks for sharing. Got a question.. Where did you purchase your Gas and CO monitor? cheers

hi @TRAKADU, welcome & thanks! It gets a bit addictive, especially when fuelled by the great ideas on this site....

The gas/co detector actually came via ebay from the UK - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GAS-CO-L...t=UK_Safety_Alarms&hash=item2c84a467d3&_uhb=1. Cost about $65 inc delivery to Aus. There are lots of chinese battery powered detectors for $10-$15, what I liked about the one I have is that I could wire it to the 12v, and also that because it is actually a component from a system that extends to wireless valves to close gas supply in the event of a leak, that it might be a bit more reliable/accurate than the cheapies.

Cheers, Benrosenick

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Hi @benrosenick. Thanks for the link. I will buy one today as I think it is very important in any RVs or even in homes to have one installed. On another matter, how did you go about installing the rear view camera (from Safety Dave). Coz I have the same unit (except mine is a single camera) which I just got an auto Elec to install the LCD into my Jeep. However, the Caravan is not due till mid July and I was wondering did you have enough room behind the wall to install the camera? How did you run the cable? My Electrician reckons I can have a crack at doing it myself.... any tips please?... cheers TRAKADU.:cocksure:

Reactions: benrosenick

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
Hi @benrosenick. Thanks for the link. I will buy one today as I think it is very important in any RVs or even in homes to have one installed. On another matter, how did you go about installing the rear view camera (from Safety Dave). Coz I have the same unit (except mine is a single camera) which I just got an auto Elec to install the LCD into my Jeep. However, the Caravan is not due till mid July and I was wondering did you have enough room behind the wall to install the camera? How did you run the cable? My Electrician reckons I can have a crack at doing it myself.... any tips please?... cheers TRAKADU.:cocksure:
Agree @TRAKADU, the gas detectors should come as standard I reckon.

I had a local guy install my camera for me; the wiring comes into the van in the top cupboards at the rear, across the top aof the rear wall (through the cupboards) down the side of the wall inside the van between the rear fold down bed and the end of the bunks (if you know what I mean...) and out underneath the van, then all the way to the drawbar. It runs in conduit for the while length and is out of the way so I never notice it. Lots of silastic was used wherever a hole to the outside was required...

I got him to install it as I wasn't up for doing the car end; I'd agree that just the van camera would be pretty straightforward. If you search here you will find some good detailed posts on fitting a camera; some have run the wiring without coming into the van by removing the top marker light and pulling the cable through to there, then removing the lower brake or indicator light and pulling it down to the bottom, then out under the van from there. Mine is neat enough and out of the way for my liking. If I get a chance to get in the van at the weekend I'll try and get a pic or two to show the path mine took.

Cheers

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
hey @TRAKADU I just ran mine under the OB and have it on the rear bumper with Cable ties and gaffa :) . Did one trip and seemed to work well. So will drill it in soon. I did not want to run it via the van and with the Starcraft was getting hard to find a place for it as the tyre on the rear. Was going to use conduit, although just went through with cable ties and following down the other looms instead. If I get a stray stone which kills it, I will do it with conduit :) Although a lot of cables just hanging there, not good to look to much and think about it. Did not want to go lower down and some of the gaps I struggle to get the cable through alone.
@benrosenick you do not have a pic for how they did it under the van do you?

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Thanks guys. It sounds straightforward enough. I have also found an installation video on Safety Dave's website which pretty much shows how to do it....
cheers TRAKADU.

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
thanks mate like to see what they did, can easily run it again as only cable ties to cut. Did not have the time after I found out the cable I got from Safety Dave at the show was not long enough. They sent me one straight away which was good although only had a day to do it.
Here are some photos, not great quality as van is closed up...

This is where the cable comes in from behind the camera-middle overhead cupboard next to the shower
image.jpg

Through the next cupboard...

image.jpg

Down the Lhs side of the van, in the corner immediately behind the bunks
image.jpg

Out underneath
image.jpg

Conduit stops after the bumper mounts
image.jpg

Up through the chassis
image.jpg

Into the drawbar
image.jpg

Then out to the woza connector
image.jpg

Hope this helps,

Cheers, benrosenick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    789.1 KB · Views: 218

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@benrosenick thanks a lot for the pictures, that is great.. Looks a lot nicer run then I had to put it through as I have all the water pipes on the same side of the van. I was more thinking of the rigid PVC pipe type I have a heap of the flexible stuff from my studio days and did not think of it? Maybe I can retrofit :)
rigid_conduit.jpg

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@TRAKADU Seeing my van is back home
This is where we left our camera, I just need to screw it in perm as wife happy. You could try to see it here first if you have a rear pumper. Ff your happy with it down low first then no drilling of the van and a lot easier to run it under.
IMG_4907.jpg

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
No pics (will come), but have been busy getting ready to depart for CC at the end of the week...

On the Prado -
Winch for the bullbar fitted (not required but looks the part, and some entertainment in stretching the cable back onto the drum !)
ToughToys awning fitted (refer point A above)
3D mats (not sand grabbers but less than 1/2 the price and look to be ok - good fit at least, and all three rows included. Time will tell...)

The van -
Armorflex water pipes and everything I could get to
Vent covers for fridge *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*, LPG & range hood vents on other side
Check for holes/light shining through floor for dust proofing... didn't really find much, so will travel with sika supply in case I find them later
Sealed door (hopefully) and external shower hatch
Replaced the rubbish latches under the mattresses with rope handles - possibly my favourite mod yet
Stone Stomper procured & fitted - what a well made bit of gear and great people to deal with
Locks lubricated with graphite dust
Chair leg rubbers for grey water outlets
Fitted a bracket to toolbox to carry jockey wheel (instead of chucking in car boot
Still to do - foam cell to put behind lower door vent

Itinerary set, 40% packed, just have to get work out of the way and then we're off! (Also have to unplug Foxtel and pack it to use with sat dish, Liverpool play Everton on first weekend away and don't want to miss an opportunity to be disappointed, live in HD....)

Last edited:
Reactions: Smergen

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
image.jpg

On the way! Great run to Dubbo via singleton-coming from the northern end of syd it's a great, easy run. Couple of days now to transition to leave mode, then to the corner via broken hill!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 252
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 286
Reactions: dagree