Bed Ends

allthedeans

Jul 24, 2011
Hello everyone

Just about to take delivery of a second hand 17.56-2. Its only a year old and in almost brand new condition. When I get it I will post up some specs and then the real questions will probably come. For now, I was just wondering if you can leave the beds made up (as in with sheets and blankets) on either end when travelling from place to place or does the bed have to be remade each stop.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I was just wondering if you can leave the beds made up (as in with sheets and blankets) on either end when travelling from place to place or does the bed have to be remade each stop.

That is a very good question, I would like to know this aswell.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
It all depends on the mattress you have and the type of and size of the bedding. We have the inner springs at both ends and we can only leave the fitted sheet on, anything else is too thick and won't allow the ends to close properly, especially the rear one where you have to make it tight enough to latch in. All our bedding sits on the table and seats until we drop the ends and then gets put on the beds.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
It all depends on the mattress you have and the type of and size of the bedding. We have the inner springs at both ends and we can only leave the fitted sheet on, anything else is too thick and won't allow the ends to close properly, especially the rear one where you have to make it tight enough to latch in. All our bedding sits on the table and seats until we drop the ends and then gets put on the beds.
*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* we do the same thing then your dont have to struggle folding up the ends

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
We have an innerspring too and can only leave the fitted sheet on. We also have an egg shell overlay and that is too thick for the bed to close properly.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Thanks, I guess we will leave the fitted sheet on, it's not that hard to throw the blanket and pillows on.

mcgonical

Sep 6, 2011
Canberra
We have the foam mattress and making up the beds after we stop for the day is frustrating - if I could stand sleeping under a dooner then life would be easier. Last trip we used two egg shell mattress toppers (one for each bed) rolled into swags and stored on the lounge. When we stopped for the night we rolled the swags out over the beds and set-up was much quicker.

gavin.davis59

Mar 21, 2011
Naracoorte.SA
We have the innerspring and manage to fold it with a "Killarney" topper and fitted sheet easily.I think a good quality topper would not take up anywhere as much room when folding as the egg shell overlays.We then just throw on the doona when we pull up.If it was too tight to fold up We would take out the small section of mattress rather than have to make up the bed all the time.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
We only have one folding bed at the front, its foam. We also have an egg sheel and woolen underlay all held in place with a fitted sheet. I found by removing the small piece of foam (the folding part that is only 4 inchs wide), i can fold the bed up without having to remove the underlays and sheet. In know Bushman did the same on his innerspring (thats where i got the idea:biggrin1:).
Our doona and pillows just go on the bunks when travelling which is nice cause we can use the dinette for lunch stops still.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
If I can be bothered I can fold the donna the right way it tucks neatly in behind the folded matress and the straps hold it in place, works better with the rear bed, but does take some juggling to get it just right, but most times I just put them on on the lounge.