Ball weights a bit of a worry

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
Has anyone got an opinion on fitting a WDH versus putting airbags in? Tow with a FG falcon XR6 and a 14.44.2 with a tow ball weight (after distribution of internals) of 110kg, sag on falcon is minimal but still there

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
I have a 2012 14.44.5. I bought the $59 Repco Ball Weight scales and they show just over 210kg with both empty and full water tanks. That makes sense because one tank is forward of the axle and the other is rear. The tare weight on the plate says 147kg. There is nothing extraordinary loaded in the front of the van or in the tunnel boot. Just the essentials. 210kg is much more that I expected. Next weekend I will empty the front water tank which should help a little. I think there is too much difference between the tare weight on the plate and just a 'standard load' with full gas etc. I'm lucky I'm still well within my tugs specs, but some others would not be.

jed

May 16, 2013
I have a 2012 14.44.5. I bought the $59 Repco Ball Weight scales and they show just over 210kg with both empty and full water tanks. That makes sense because one tank is forward of the axle and the other is rear. The tare weight on the plate says 147kg. There is nothing extraordinary loaded in the front of the van or in the tunnel boot. Just the essentials. 210kg is much more that I expected. Next weekend I will empty the front water tank which should help a little. I think there is too much difference between the tare weight on the plate and just a 'standard load' with full gas etc. I'm lucky I'm still well within my tugs specs, but some others would not be.

That would be me beecee I bought the smaller van because of the ball weight of 137 (stamped on my plate) as I tow with an Xtrail which depending on what I pack in the car it has a ball weight figure of 150 to 200 I did a somewhat half ass test with the bathroom scales and it was close to 200 kg so I emptied the front tank and it was a bit better but I still have to watch what I pack ,I'm thinking about having the spare wheel moved to the rear of van and take on gas tank off ,it doesn't seem right they advertise a ball weight of 147kg and it ends up over 200 when you buy it ,how many others have this problem and don't know it ,I'm lucky the car sits level still ,but it worries me .

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
That would be me beecee I bought the smaller van because of the ball weight of 137 (stamped on my plate) as I tow with an Xtrail which depending on what I pack in the car it has a ball weight figure of 150 to 200 I did a somewhat half ass test with the bathroom scales and it was close to 200 kg so I emptied the front tank and it was a bit better but I still have to watch what I pack ,I'm thinking about having the spare wheel moved to the rear of van and take on gas tank off ,it doesn't seem right they advertise a ball weight of 147kg and it ends up over 200 when you buy it ,how many others have this problem and don't know it ,I'm lucky the car sits level still ,but it worries me .

I weighed mine the other day, ball weight 230Kg & drops the prado rear quite a bit. Ive got the 12 Ft expanda but there is no room to pack gear behind axle to ballance load.

jed

May 16, 2013
I weighed mine the other day, ball weight 230Kg & drops the prado rear quite a bit. Ive got the 12 Ft expanda but there is no room to pack gear behind axle to ballance load.

Hi jvp Wow so heavy for the size of van ,and what does the plate say it is ?

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
Hi jvp Wow so heavy for the size of van ,and what does the plate say it is ?

Hi Jed
I Cant get near the jayco info plate at the moment but from memory it was prety high but not above 200 Kg. Ill have to check how much water is in tank (only one behind axle ). It hasnt been used for a while & had a slow leak or drip & maybe empty. That would increase ball weight but with such a short van you find most things are in front of axle. jvp

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi Jed
I Cant get near the jayco info plate at the moment but from memory it was prety high but not above 200 Kg. Ill have to check how much water is in tank (only one behind axle ). It hasnt been used for a while & had a slow leak or drip & maybe empty. That would increase ball weight but with such a short van you find most things are in front of axle. jvp

Yeah I guess that makes sense most of the van would be in front of the wheels ,interesting

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
I know I am not in the same legue. But I bought my Ball Weight Scales last week. I test my Swift full laden with water tank full and all our gear. Ball weight was under 100.