Ball weights a bit of a worry

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi everyone we have bought a new 14.44.5 xpanda and have had it for one month now and had our maiden trip 2 weeks ago everything went great ,very happy with the way it went behind the car but thought I would check the ball weight using the house scales the
way its been explained here on the forum and ended up with a very surprising result ,the compliance plate says ball weight is 137 and a max of 176 which is no worry as my car has a 150 - 200 ball weight depending on how much weight is in the car but when i weighed it ,it was 220? and I have done absolutly nothing to the van since we picked it up ,surly jayco would have weighed it with the two gas bottles and spare tire that sits on the a frame when it left the plant? It does have two water tanks one in front the other behind but I would be surprised if that adds that much extra weight , to make sure I weighed it right I stood on the scales at the same spot and *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* it worked out to my weight has anyone else had this problem? thanks

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Your water tanks should balance out over the axle as long as they both have the same amount of water in each.

220kg doesn't seem right for a 14.44, are you sure you had the scales in the right spot and did the calcs correctly. Sorry for asking the dumb question. Perhaps you could post a pic of how you set the scales up so one of the gurus here can help you out?

jed

May 16, 2013
Your water tanks should balance out over the axle as long as they both have the same amount of water in each.

220kg doesn't seem right for a 14.44, are you sure you had the scales in the right spot and did the calcs correctly. Sorry for asking the dumb question. Perhaps you could post a pic of how you set the scales up so one of the gurus here can help you out?
Hi Hubble Im pretty sure its right but i will take a pic just incase and yeah it doesnt sound right for a 14 footer
thanks mate

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I had my 14 footer in for some work some months back and asked them if they could check the ball weight while I was there. He brought out an electronic scale that jacked it up at the ball and weighed it at the same time. I was stunned when it showed 214kgs with a compliance plate weight of 105kg. I have since shifted my spare from the front to under the rear but have not checked it since.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
you're in the right ball park, I took my 14.44-4 over the weigh bridge & it also came in at 200kg on the ball with both tanks full, two gas bottles & very little in the front storage compartment, the stated ball weights on my compliance plate is a max 180kg

jed

May 16, 2013
This is how I did the weight of the ball I think its right

Attachments

• P1020886.JPG
    P1020886.JPG
    887.5 KB · Views: 543

jed

May 16, 2013
I had my 14 footer in for some work some months back and asked them if they could check the ball weight while I was there. He brought out an electronic scale that jacked it up at the ball and weighed it at the same time. I was stunned when it showed 214kgs with a compliance plate weight of 105kg. I have since shifted my spare from the front to under the rear but have not checked it since.
Wow chartrock that's worse than mine , how do u think it would go insurance wise if something was to happen ?

jed

May 16, 2013
you're in the right ball park, I took my 14.44-4 over the weigh bridge & it also came in at 200kg on the ball with both tanks full, two gas bottles & very little in the front storage compartment, the stated ball weights on my compliance plate is a max 180kg
Thanks CJ doesn't seem right that they do this It makes me wonder if something was to happen would it be under warranty?

jed

May 16, 2013
maybe worth checking whats available locally
Hi JaycoQ I will be taking the van in for service soon and i'll ask them to check the ball weight while its there ,i hope i got it wrong with the house scales ,it just doesn't seem right that a 14 footer could be that heavy on the ball specially with full ensuite in the rear and if it is right then I wonder if the weight of the van is correct on the compliance plate ? I think I need to take it to a weigh bridge to be sure .
cheers

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Just for information, every van goes on the weighbridge for compliance at the factory at the last stage of its manufacture, straight after the water test. Gas bottles and water tanks are not full at that stage.

jed

May 16, 2013
Shame ,such a good price ,I emptied the front water tank and this has reduced the weight some but not a lot ,thank you all for the info on the scales

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
I got one of the rvsolutions ones delivered this week, towing a 14442 with an FG XR6 concerned with putting the bikes on the drawbar. My concerns were justified, need to relocate the weber and the annexe (65kg) from front hatch to do it safely.
image.jpg
image.jpg