Baking bread in the weber BBQ Q

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Had my first attempt at bread baking in the Weber. Cheated a bit by using a bread mix. Not being great white bread eaters my wife picked a German grain bread.

Packet mix,
DSC_2509 1.jpg
Finished loaf
DSC_2508 1.jpg
Cut loaf
DSC_2511 1.jpg

Bread is very tasty but quite heavy. Packet has 3 more sachets still so more loaves to go. :tea:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
That loaf looks better than the one on the bag CR, nice work

Here is my 1st attempt at Damper in the Weber a few weeks ago, not pretty but yummy. It was probably in for about 3-5 minutes to long though

001-4.jpg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Yeah, Shane we may have to have a bake-off one day.

Maybe we could arrange a picnic day somewhere in the SEQ where we all take our Webers and show off our recipes. It could end up quite a feast. :tongue:

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
Bread.jpg

The bread never lasts long!

We also like to put Italian herb and parmesan cheese on top before baking

Next time we intend to try cheese and bacon

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
It's taken me a while, but I keep coming back to these bread posts. Got myself a Weber BabyQ100e today and will try it out at first opportunity. Don't have oven in van so looks like will still have the odd bread/cake/roast while on the road.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Gents,

I would be more than happy to go camping with you guys any time, any where. I know that I'm always going to get freshly baked bread!!!!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I cooked mine in a metal bread tin and it was a little burnt on the bottom but I think thats because I think I left it in a fraction to long.

Maybe sit the bread on a trivet to get a bit of airflow under the tin but still use the foil and avoid direct heat to the tin as the foil heats up.

It is a bit of trial and error sometimes but thats half the fun :hungry:

jdonly1

Dec 7, 2011
Bairnsdale Vic
It's taken me a while, but I keep coming back to these bread posts. Got myself a Weber BabyQ100e today and will try it out at first opportunity. Don't have oven in van so looks like will still have the odd bread/cake/roast while on the road.
Just got one me self also
looking forward to giving it a run
IMAG0453.jpg

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Hi guys,

I usually put triple layers of foil, then a trivel, then the bread tin. Never had one burnt yet. We have been doing rolls imstead of bread as they keep a bit longer and are easier to slice for toast a few days later. On our current extended trip we have also cooked scones, rolly poly, cakes, pull aparts and plenty of roast.

Also the trivet I use is a plain wire baking rack that required the corners to be trimmed to fit. The result is a trivet that covers the entire hotplate unlike the webber ones. Was tired of trying to balance and squeeze veggies around the roast.

There is an amazing amount of vans out there with these beauties.

OZSHEP

Oct 5, 2012
Sandhurst Melbourne
We bought a babyQ a couple of weeks ago and have been trying it out while waiting for the pick up of our new van. 9 days to go, (who's counting!?) :smile: I'm in love with it so much I'm buying the next size up (Weber Q220) for the family home. Never thought about baking bread in it. What a great idea. Also 'Masters' at Carrum Downs (maybe other stores) have weber Qs and accessories on special at the moment, as well as a free gas bottle refill if you purchase a BBQ over $200. Think the special goes for the month of Oct

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
The secret to cooking bread, cakes and scones in the webber is to use a trivet and a pizza stone. You have to keep the direct heat off the bottom. I use a no stick pan.. have a loaf one for bread and a round one for scones and cakes. Low heat 130-150 no higher... I use to burn the bottoms but have had a Q for 6 years now have got it down to a fine art.
Good luck..

Reactions: Ren77