Baking bread in the weber BBQ Q

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Baking bread in the weber Baby q

Had a crack on the weekend at baking a loaf to go with our roast, expecting some trial and error before getting it right. I think we fluked it, the bread came up a treat

th_6ca3f8be.jpg

Reactions: Nagga's and Ren77

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Got a packet of laucke crusty white bread mix, did all the mixing with the kids by hand in a large bowl so didnt have to turn it out on a bench. For cooking, pretty much followed the directions yet added the bread to the q and kept the temp at 150 for the first ten minutes then cranked it up to 200 for another 15 or so. Had the greased tin on the trivet with the foil as if doing a roast. A bread knife has now made it onto the cutlery list for the van.

Reactions: Ren77

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Yes they did, the loaf would have probably been 10% bigger as some of the dough went "missing" during the process.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I bought a bread loaf tin today, I hope it comes up as good as your looks Drizz.

Just a question, what did you line the tin with so it didn't stick?

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Mine is also a new tin, just smeared a bit of butter on the inside, it pretty much fell out onto the rack. Do make sure that you cool it out of the tray as it will sweat and go soggy on the edges if yo do leave it in.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Mine is also a new tin, just smeared a bit of butter on the inside, it pretty much fell out onto the rack. Do make sure that you cool it out of the tray as it will sweat and go soggy on the edges if yo do leave it in.

Thanks mate this weekend I'm going to have a go so I'll report back how it comes up :hungry:

Laurence

Jan 8, 2012
Pakenham, VIC
Looking at getting a Baby Q this weekend, have you got themodel with a tempreture display on the front or do you have a tempreture reader seperate?

thanks

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey Laurence,
We have the Q120 with the high lid, temp guage and side flaps. High lids is great for roasts. We bought ours from BBQ's Galore. Got some accessories thrown in.
Cheers Deano

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
:spy: No unfortunatley not yet I was going to do it when we get the Expanda out next but I might just do one this weekend instead

:hungry:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well after cooking a roast lamb in the Weber for Mothers Day lunch today I decided to cook a damper in there. Thanks to Drizz for hassling me :lever:I thought why not, it came out really well but I think I left it in for 5 minutes to long as the base was a bit hard but not burnt at least.

Oh well better do another one :smile:

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Nice one cruza, damper dripping with butter, hard to beat.

We did party pies at about midnight whilst camping a few weeks ago, they got absolutely smashed down around the fire

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
We couldn't resist so had to give it a go in our baby Q. The results were quite good too. Bread will definitely be on the menu on our next trip.
Thanks Drizzlingje for kicking this thread off and others for their input, probably would never have tried without seeing it done here.

IMG_4951.JPGIMG_4952.JPGIMG_4954.JPG

Reactions: blacky and Ren77